Good Hunting Boot Recommendations

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good brand of hunting boots other than Rocky or Wolverines. I've never owned a pair of Wolverines that turned water more than 6 months and the last two pair of Rocky's that I've owned have been disappointing. One pair started leaking after 2 months (Gore-Tex boots) and the sole on the other fell off in big chunks. When I called their warranty department I was told that was common and they'd be happy to give me a 35% off voucher for another pair of Rocky's from their retailer. Gee, thanks.

Are there any hunting boots left that are made in America?

Thanks

While I have had good success with Rockys I will admit that their quality has really fallen off in recent years. Danners are really nice but pricey. I also like LaCrosse and have found them to be very durable and stay waterproof. One suggestion I would make is to look at the Cabela's branded boot. Cabela's buys boots from top boot manufacturers and has them branded with the Cabela's name. This is usually at a cheaper price than you can buy them with the manufacturers name brand on them. They are really high quality. Everything that I have ever bought with the Cabela's brand on it was 1st class and tough. That includes scopes. I have found that unlike some other sporting goods chains Cabela's will NOT put their name on anything sub-par. I highly respect that. In my opinion they are the best sporting goods store chain on the planet. I have a pair of Columbia branded insulated rubber boots that have been great. I think they cost me around $120.00 but 5 years later they have no leaks, still nice ankle fit comfort and look pretty good dispite the abuse that I heap on them.

Considered using some of that waterproofing stuff on your boots?
May be troublesome, but not as bad as wet feet.
Got a pair right now I have been intending to treat. Haven't done it yet because I haven't been using the boots lately and I am lazy and procrastinate or either too busy. I'm not sure which.

I don't care for waterproof boots since no boot is made that is high enough to keep the water from getting in them. I'm hard on boots and the best quality boot with the longest life I've found is Red Wing. Wolverines are very comfortable but they only last me about 10 months. I'll get 4 years out of red wing.

Jogeephus":3rj95qel said:
I don't care for waterproof boots since no boot is made that is high enough to keep the water from getting in them. I'm hard on boots and the best quality boot with the longest life I've found is Red Wing. Wolverines are very comfortable but they only last me about 10 months. I'll get 4 years out of red wing.

Jo.......in my mis-spent youth I knew a girl that had legs so long she could wade the Mississippi River and not get her knees wet......she had a pair of thigh-high patent leather boots.....well you get the point :oops: :shock: :lol: I need :help:

HOSS":dfmk85dg said:
Jogeephus":dfmk85dg said:

Jo.......in my mis-spent youth I knew a girl that had legs so long she could wade the Mississippi River and not get her knees wet......she had a pair of thigh-high patent leather boots.....well you get the point :oops: :shock: :lol: I need :help:

Didn't somebody write a song about her?

I had a pair of Danner's and I liked them but they began to seperate near the instep. Pretty good boot though.

Jogeephus":2e4pm1vm said:
I don't care for waterproof boots since no boot is made that is high enough to keep the water from getting in them.

Don't have much snow in Georgia, eh? :lol2:

I'm hard on boots and the best quality boot with the longest life I've found is Red Wing. Wolverines are very comfortable but they only last me about 10 months. I'll get 4 years out of red wing.

Red Wings are all I wear unless it's muddy. Never gotten 4 years out of a pair, 3 is stretching it. They're a bear to break in, but once they are there's nothing like them.

Thanks to everyone for the responses, I've got some looking to do.

I've tried all kinds and brands of hunting boots and if they didn't leak, my feet sweat in them, and in either case they would nearly freeze off. A couple years ago,I was shopping for a new pair of hunting boots that I could at least wade water a foot deep and stay dry. There was a guy there buying boots for his son and he talked me into a pair of muck boots. I'm not a big fan of rubber hunting boots except for waders and duck hunting, because they don't hold up to much walking. Well I bought a pair and they are great, my feet stay dry and they are quite comfortable although kinda expensive. I bought a second pair to keep in the truck to work in when it is muddy and they have had a work out this year and have held up well. They don't like barbed wire though.

I wear Danners. They last me 5 or 6 years with new soles somewhere in the middle. Twenty years of wearing leather caulk boots in the woods taught me how to grease a pair of boots. There is no reason to have wet feet when wearing leather boots if you grease them right. And the biggest thing is to grease them often (even in the summer). Never let the leather get dried out or the next time it rains you will have wet feet.

upfrombottom":29z6tgri said:
I've tried all kinds and brands of hunting boots and if they didn't leak, my feet sweat in them, and in either case they would nearly freeze off.

Yup, no one is better than the other. I wear wolverine steel toe boots for every day. There is just nothing more comfortable out there, especially on the rocks, IMO. This last time I tried the ones that have a liner in them and they keep the water out alot longer. You have to literally stand in several inches of water for a period of time and they are not too hot either.

When it comes to truely being water proof there is no replacement for a good pair of rubber boots. They have some really nice ones now that are very comfortable or you can go with the old school $20 pair with some sole inserts. When its muddy or I know I am going to be in the water I put them on. I keep a pair in the truck at all times. Your leather boots last a lot longer not being taken in the mud.

I have the knee high muck boots that since those came on the scene a couple years back I have not stopped wearing them. I pay about $90 a pair and get about 2 years out of them, they are completely waterproof and good for hunting because they are like wearing a pair of tennis shoes they are so comfortable eventhough they are designed for being around the barn and paddocks out in the mud. Before that I was always getting the rubber or neoprene boots for water and mud but they are uncomfortable and able to stay waterproof for only about 2 weeks and leather boots are never tall enough. This pair I have now is two years old and the outer shell is torn to shreds after my Irish Wolfhound pup got ahold of them and they are still 100% waterproof, can't believe a pair of boots has ever lasted me that long since they are worn 7 days a week from November to May.

Latest posts