Good Hay Crop (Pics Added)

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338":wotrmnds said:
the guy has $100,000 just in baling alone.an 80 tons of fert at $48000.so he would barely be making $50,000.

Net return of $78.12 per acre, not taking into consideration income or property taxes. That $50,000 wouldn't make the land payment if it were bought today. If the land is paid for, I don't feel bad for him making $50,000 off of one section of land. I reckon I could live off of that.

Now if he owned his own equipment and baled it himself, he just has his time, fuel, net wrap, and the depreciation on his equipment. I reckon this guy probably has his own equipment to mow and bale hay. If not, I might make myself available to do some custom work for him next year. :lol2: I would even haul my tractor, baler, and swather down there. :nod:

I did a little math, and $200 K ain't near enough, is my opinion.
With those yields, I'd would ballpark his replacement fertilizer at closer to $250 than $78/acre.
Is 1500 lb about right for those bales, at a decent moisture? If so, he has 2850 tons of pretty darn good hay. At $125/ton=$95/bale that would be $356,000. I guess everyone has to plug in a price assumption. He probably won't get that price now, but he might later. Can he store that much hay?
That section would yield 96000 bu of corn at 150 bu/a. If you can get $1 under the Dec futures, that would be $5/bu and $480,000 gross. I know June 3 is not the time to plant Corn in AL. But if he had...

TexasBred":mrexxb7p said:
John how much fertilizer are you figuring per acre? Looks awfully high. What kind of hay is it anyway?

OK, I ballparked that figure. I don't know fertilizer prices in AL and I don't know exact removal. Having said that, there must be 100 lb or more of N in that at .60/lb N. Phosphorus, at an arm and a leg, at least 60 lb P2O5. 100 lb of 0-0-60, at least. I may be high, but not by much. If you want those yields next year...

Latest posts