Good creep feed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Pickles Dillman

Reaction score
Hey There Northern ranchers/farmers!
Im wandering what ya'll use as a good creep feed for your calves. I dont have the best pastures,theres sure not an over abundance of grass anyways but just enough to maintain them with the proper mineral licks.

I don't creep feed until a couple weeks before weaning. I believe in cases of short pasture creep feeding can be worthwhile. Looks like calves will be around $1.20 this Fall and grain prices are down from last year, so creep feeding might be profitable.
I would go to Menahga Coop and have them mix a corn, oats, gluten, mineral, vitamins and some molasses. It's no secret that I don't like commercial creep feeds.

twistedxranch":utzlvlkx said:
Pickles Dillman":utzlvlkx said:
Im wandering what ya'll use as a good creep feed for your calves. I dont have the best pastures,theres sure not an over abundance of grass anyways but just enough to maintain them with the proper mineral licks.

I like a feed with at least 10% fat in it if I can get it. I feed one that is around 14% protein. I would have to look at the tag. Alot of the feeds out there are only about 3% fat. Personally you need more than that at least in my opinion anyways.

Why such a high fat content? Gotta cost a fortune as hi quality fat is very expensive.

14% protein is good, citrus doesn't get this far North. Corn and cows milk will have plenty of fat.

Pickles Dillman":1ce17efj said:
We feed protein pellets, corn, and lots of oats. Not exactly sure what the mix is, dad mixes all the feed.

Pickles Dillman":3uzxt870 said:
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Mnmtranching do you think you could give me a parts % on your recomended mix?

Pickles, It's about 60 pounds of corn to 40 of oats. They will add the gluten for protein and some concentrate to get to 14% protein. the molasses is optional to slow the dust, maybe the calves like it better. May or may not be worth the extra cost? Those guys at the coop are beef guys, both have cow/calf operations. They will mix you a good batch.

Latest posts