Good Cattle Software

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if they use the "CattleMax" software thats advertised? Or if you use any other software? I'm looking for a way to keep all my info... weights, heat cycles, etc etc. Thanks!

I use cattlemax in the use in my operation. It is a little costly but if you take full advantage of it it is worth the money. Very highly recommend it!

yes i use cattlemax.an i like it very much.it makes record keeping quick an easy.an provides alot of tools esp if your a reg breeder.i would suggest that you try the free version.an see if you like it.if you keep up with calving dates.itll tell you how old the calves are.as well as their breed ave birth weights for bulls an heifers.

Sorry I did the trail and could not get it to do a single thing.
I use Ranch Manager from Lions Edge.
Got our entire cattle herd dating back to 1978 on it.
Worth looking at both and deciding on your own.

I have used the free trial of cattlemax, and it worked fine. But i was wondering if anyone had ever used the electronic form of AIMS, I have heard about it, and have also heard that you can submit registrations online from it.

I created a spread sheet and keep individual records and notes in that database. I also started a (huge :oops: ) file of individual photos. This project has begun to take too much time and energy but it is addictive. I have about 70% of the herd photo'd now.

Yes this is a registered herd. Right now I've got 3 females and the records that came with them as far as pedigree, etc. Want to get my records started right off the bat so I can keep up and add to it to maintain good records. A big concern is keeping track of sires as we'll be doing some AI. Thanks everyone.

Been using it for about 5 years. Great package. I'm still using the older version and haven;t found anything lacking for my purposes.

i glad to hear this discussion,
Lions Edge is much less$---but as the saying goes--you get what you pay for.
I am sure Cattlemax is great----I do not have a big operation,so I have been shy on considering it on the $ factor.
I just want to know, what will I miss if I choose Lions Edge.
It's a homework/research issue --but my ignorance of cattle record keeping, slows me down.
Sidebar:
Thank you guys for your overall willingness to help each other.
quite refreshing..
I am new to this group..am happy to be here.

Check with you breed registration, we use Cow Sense, the biggest reason is that when EPDs are updated, or calf crop info I can email a file and they will updat the info. At any time I can download updated info from the RAAA website and update all my files within a few seconds. RAAA uses Cow Sense and Red Wing, see what you breed association uses I know this save me several hours every year.

I use MDI cow calf manager it is a great program an very user friendly. Cost around $250.00 can be used on different computer ( Desk top Laptop ) this is very good when you are updating from seperate locations save to a flash and then it updates the other one. The only downside is it is used mainly for heard information (breeding) so it somewhat lacks in the expense side of ranching but it does have misc sections where you can add such as fence material cost and fuel. It does have a feed program area in it, also woks good with show cattle ( EPD) Once you start adding informaion it remembers it and use drop down boxes in the future, I like this program very much designed for ranchers BY ranchers. I purchased last March at Houston Livestock show if you are there they will take you on a tour of it
also has a photo section for each animal up to six photos per cow
Sold me Money well spent
They told me if you are using cattle max it easly tranfers those files into this system

Little red book and a calculator. Works just fine just takes a little effort. I wouldn't try this with a herd of 100 or more though.

I bought the registered version of Cattlemax a couple of months ago ... it took some time to get the data loaded (had to get the ASA to download a file, had to take photos, had to transfer in some other cattle records etc.) .... but I think I'm going to like it as I get used to the various reporting formats.

johndeereboy":1xazt0gl said:
I have used the free trial of cattlemax, and it worked fine. But i was wondering if anyone had ever used the electronic form of AIMS, I have heard about it, and have also heard that you can submit registrations online from it.

the AIMS software works really well. you can register everything electronic. they have pretty good customer support as well.

SmokeStack welcome to the forum.
I tried for days to get the CattleMax to work. I finally went looking for what else was out there and found Ranch Manager. Got their trial edition and I could enter everything I had in our books. Everything from birth, shots, weights and everything else we wanted to enter.
As for price I would rather go with a program I could work then pay alot for something I could not get to do a thing. JMO.

I use Ranch Manager as well. I really like the program. I can put in any info that I want, and if they don't have a slot for it, you can let them know and they will fix it so you can add the info. It is cheaper than a lot of the other programs, but I think it is probably as good. If you are curious about it get the trial version and see what you think. Easier to decide if it is what you are looking for that way.

Latest posts