goober peas

Help Support CattleToday:

We have been freezing boiled peanuts for years. The trick is to start with green and not dried peanut. In order to get fresh peanuts you need to pull them up and pick them off and boil them in one or two days. Once they dry out they ain't as good.

We boil them for about 30 minutes or until they taste like boiled peanuts and turn off the heat. Depending how much salt water you want in them is how long you leave them in the water as they cool. I let them sit about 15 minutes in the hot cooling water and then pour the water off.

Then freeze in zip lock bags. I eat them all winter by heating one of two ways. You can put the frozen ones in some water and bring to a boil and drain. They taste just like fresh. You can also though in the microwave which is almost as good.

I have never tried any of the above methods but sounds interesting. What i do is soak the shelled(cleaned)nuts overnight in water,pour off water and then sprout them for about 16hrs-pop them into the fridge and eat them fresh.What i can do is let them stand in a bit of salt water after spouting-should be good,thanks for sharing.