Blackeyed Peas and Hog Jowl

Help Support CattleToday:

Talking about grits made me remember my favorite resturant closed this week....bummer they had the best corn grits I have ever had. Im sure gonna miss those grits! We always have black eyed peas with ham hock and don't forget to throw the dime in whoever gets the dime has a profitable year. We never have any left over peas!

1982vett":1czkznrf said:
chrisy":1czkznrf said:
The one thing we do with pig jowl is make brawn.....

Search is getting a workout on this thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brawn (head cheese) :(
I have never heard it called head cheese, used to like it as a child but not had it in years. My Dad used to make it, along with Black Pudding, I hate BP and the thought of it, one thing that wont get near my mouth yuck, so as you don't have to look it up, I've done it for you.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_pudding

:lol: Thankfully Mom and Dad never did make the blood sausage. Don't know of many that did. Head cheese (we called it sausage I guess becuase it was stuffed into the large intestine) to me was only edible if you smotherd it in mustard so you couldn't taste anything but the mustard. :lol:

1982vett":3tsk9ipr said:
chrisy":3tsk9ipr said:
We have boiled bacon, and bubble and squeak for new years dinner.
Got a receipe for that?

Did a search cause I never heard of Bubble and Squeak. Came up with a lot of variations.

You guys running it down know what it is?

I always put bacon in the blackeye peas and put bacon in when boiling cabbage. Potatoes always go good with blackeye peas and cabbage. So don't know what you guys have against what Chrisy is cooking.

vett you now "boiling " is a terrible crime against good bacon. Even when putting it in cabbage or peas it's better fried first.....something about boiled bacon just sounds almost as bad as boiled sardines poured over a slice of dried cow patty.

TexasBred":1i2lpskv said:
vett you now "boiling " is a terrible crime against good bacon. Even when putting it in cabbage or peas it's better fried first.....something about boiled bacon just sounds almost as bad as boiled sardines poured over a slice of dried cow patty.

Agree, I guess I take for granted everyone would start by "rendering" the bacon in the pot with the onions and whatever before adding the blackeye peas or cabbage.

1982vett":2z0jnnge said:
TexasBred":2z0jnnge said:

Agree, I guess I take for granted everyone would start by "rendering" the bacon in the pot with the onions and whatever before adding the blackeye peas or cabbage.

Now for the heck of it I might try boiling some like Chrisy does it and see if I can stomach it.. Might work better on a fish hook. :lol2:

TexasBred":ltc71xv7 said:
1982vett":ltc71xv7 said:
TexasBred":ltc71xv7 said:

Now for the heck of it I might try boiling some like Chrisy does it and see if I can stomach it.. Might work better on a fish hook. :lol2:

Flatheads won't bite it. It would work for channel cat. Better to fish than ruin a good supper
:D :D

Flatheads won't bite it. It would work for channel cat. Better to fish than ruin a good supper

I hear that Boogie...don't guess the stuff would ever ruin either. And a catfish would never tear it off the hook....might be on to something here.

Not tryin to tell yall how to cook your blackeyed peas, but if you throw in some okra along with that jowl and let it get good and slimy, that'll make your tongue slap your brain out.

Larry

larryshoat":3hu19yf2 said:
Not tryin to tell yall how to cook your blackeyed peas, but if you throw in some okra along with that jowl and let it get good and slimy, that'll make your tongue slap your brain out.

Larry
Ok Frankie.........lock him down a day or to for that. :lol:

larryshoat":3l918u08 said:

Larry

I'm going to put you on my prayer list for saying that, you really need help. :lol2: :lol2:

larryshoat":zsvhvh43 said:

Larry

Larry are you sure you're in Ohio?? That sounds more like coon a$$ cooking. :nod: :nod:

Now, in my neck of the woods, people throw a little okra in white peas - white acre, lady fingers, sadandies, zippers - not in dark peas like black-eyes.

1982vett":1vg9rtwi said:
larryshoat":1vg9rtwi said:

Larry
Ok Frankie.........lock him down a day or to for that. :lol:

:lol2: I'll be the first to get a thread locked about blackeyed peas.

Larry

I was raised on Black pudding, Brawn, made with pigs feet and garlic and Borscht, great food, really worth trying if any of ya'll get the chance.

drycreek":1uiwdbka said:
Blackeyed peas and ham hocks it will be! At least we are able to find those ingredients. Have looked high and low for grits with no luck. :)

That dont surprise me. A few years ago, I was doing a job in Iowa. Cornbelt capitol of the world right? Couldn't find a store anywhere that carried cornmeal. How are you supposed to make cornbread without meal?

The wife drove up over a holiday weekend and brought some from home. She made chicken dumplins and cornbread all weekend. Those folk was even pourin honey on the pone. That just aint right.

As to the blackeye peas. YUP!

Latest posts