Blackeyed Peas and Hog Jowl

Help Support CattleToday:

upfrombottom

Reaction score
This is traditionally what eat on New Years Day for good luck. We have done this as long as I can remember usually served with something green like turnip greens or cabbage, supposedly symbolizing money. I don't know why we only do it on New Years, because, like turkey and dressing, I'm kind of fond of it and will eat it all year. Never knew what my luck would be without it, don't want to take the chance.

My MIL was from the Missouri/Arkansas border and she always had black eyed peas on New Year's Day for good luck. She passed away a few years ago but we still make them and carry on her tradition. We use a ham shank or smoked hocks, not jowl meat. And ya know what? This year was VERY lucky for us in several different ways, so I'll be making them again on Friday! With cornbread. My husband likes to add a can of spicy V8 juice and about half a beer to the pot and it does give them more flavor.

Yep, come to the South and that's what we'll have on the 1st. For all the Yanks that have not tried this , well, you just don't know what your missing.

Blackeyed peas and ham hocks it will be! At least we are able to find those ingredients. Have looked high and low for grits with no luck. :)

Our tradition has always called for the jowl, the way I figured this was all that was left after the Christmas holliday. I think that city folk added ham hocks because it sounds better. The same as brown beans and neckbones turned into pintos and ham.

drycreek":gf6sls6e said:
Blackeyed peas and ham hocks it will be! At least we are able to find those ingredients. Have looked high and low for grits with no luck. :)
love em,,, watch out though, those georgia boys will sneak some cheese on em if you turn your back

had an oldtimer told me that during the depression, the community had a nice ham hock that was loaned around for everyone to cook in their beans, worked well until someone used it in a mess of greens... time have got better, but we will still have cabbage w/ham hock, and blackeyed peas for the first.. love em..

alacattleman":399knw70 said:
drycreek":399knw70 said:
love em,,, watch out though, those georgia boys will sneak some cheese on em if you turn your back

I used to drive down to Georgia about 3 times a year for competition,i thought cheese on grits is pretty good. Yummy.

Last time I had a good bowl of grits was in Stillwater, OK. been about six months ago. Keep talking about them I'll end up having to drive down just to get some more. :lol: ;-)

Pepper is good on everything, sprinkle a little Red Cayenne on apple pie, it really brings out the flavor.

I ate oats or grits every morning before school I loved them. My dad wouldn't eat them, said that was all they had when he was a kid, said they called them "Meal Mush".

Blackeyed peas with some ham hocks in'em....cabbage, BBQ ribs and potato salad and a big pan of corn bread.......been having it for ages.

chrisy":2tjkp1j2 said:
We have boiled bacon, and bubble and squeak for new years dinner.
one things for sure they aint no way us rednecks can come up with more digusting ways too prepare meals than the british :lol2:

Latest posts