Hog jowls and black eyed peas

Help Support CattleToday:

ctlbaron

Reaction score
Did everyone get their hog jowls and blackeyed peas for new years? It's an old southern tradition for luck. How many of you have it for new years? :D

ctlbaron":hw6zg52x said:
Did everyone get their hog jowls and blackeyed peas for new years? It's an old southern tradition for luck. How many of you have it for new years? :D
If you did'nt, it's worse than walking under ladders, and busting mirrors.Man is that good eatin' or what Baron?

Yes sir, contrary to popular belief, hog jowls is a great tasteing piece of meat. Better than bacon.

Yeap had my blackeyed peas(fer luck) my cabbage(fer good fortune) and a big ole ham. Aint sure what the ham's for, all I know is they say eat pork cuz a pig roots forward, dont eat chicken cuz they scratch backward. I asked someone from Montana yesterday if they'd eaten their blackeyed peas..........they asked why? LOL it is a southern thang.

Had mine with mix of greens on the side. Wish I'd had them on New Years Eve, my wife fell and broke her ankle just before midnight.

And she don't drink!!! :shock: :shock:

warpaint":bwglx2r2 said:
Had mine with mix of greens on the side. Wish I'd had them on New Years Eve, my wife fell and broke her ankle just before midnight.

And she don't drink!!! :shock: :shock:
And what are we blaming that mishap on? Jack Damage Distillery?? :lol:

the neighbors across the road always have smoke jowl and black eyed peas and cooked cabbage for new years..... black eyed peas are nasty I think and I'd have to be near death before I'd ever eat them. I class them with lima beans as well.

MoGal":2t58er5j said:
the neighbors across the road always have smoke jowl and black eyed peas and cooked cabbage for new years..... black eyed peas are nasty I think and I'd have to be near death before I'd ever eat them. I class them with lima beans as well.
MoGal, Come over for supper one night. I guarantee you'll think different bout those Blackeyes & Butterbeans. You got to cook em' just right. ;-)