gonna' calve

Help Support CattleToday:

plumber_greg

Reaction score
Got a new one on me.
First off, I only have 12 fall calving cows. The way I work it is anything not calving in my spring window of calving goes to the fall herd to calve in the fall. No cows from the fall herd ever go back into the spring herd, if they don't settle in the 60 days of fall breeding, they are sold in the spring as heavy breds. I also don't preg the fall cows, know ing that I can catch them coming in heat in the spring if they don't settle. Hope that makes sense.
Had one cow, 108, that came back in this spring. I saw her bred, saw her come in heat again 3 weeks later and bred again. I start calving Aug. 15 and yesterday saw she is gonna' have a calf in a few days. Now with only 12, I know I saw her in heat and bred twice right after turnout. Not my first rodeo. What was going on? Any thoughts? gs She would have cycled and been bred the first part of may.

Some females can have a heat cycle,while still being pregnant. Sounds strange but it can happen. So has she calved, if so was the calf the right size, ie full term?

i had a vet back in the late 70,s tell me, cattle continue to cycle after bred, most just do cycle hot enough to be detected even by a bull, but a few will be just a little hotter than others. David

Latest posts