Going Going Gone

Help Support CattleToday:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch

Reaction score
Tomorrow 17 pregnant cows and 14 calfs go to the sale barn. Keeping 1 Angus cow 1 Angus bull and 1 Angus bull calf.All three registered. No grass left and the cattle are losing weight. Hate to do it but better times will come. :cboy:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":318268qh said:
Tomorrow 17 pregnant cows and 14 calfs go to the sale barn. Keeping 1 Angus cow 1 Angus bull and 1 Angus bull calf.All three registered. No grass left and the cattle are losing weight. Hate to do it but better times will come. :cboy:

Dang I hate to here that.
I understand it is part of the business we are in when the drought hit us hard in 99 hauled some cows I almost gave away.

Amazing a hundred miles away we are getting rain and ya'll are burning up.

Pocket the money and wait .

Sure hate to see that happen. Wish I could send you folks some of the rain we've been getting the past 2 weeks. Hang in there-always better times ahead.

There's always a bright side, Mahoney. Nothing works better for a place than giving it some rest. Lick your wounds, let your ground heal up, the market go down and get back in when the time is right. Destocking gives us an opportunity to get some cattle that we like better than the ones we had. We might not do that without being forced into it. Good luck.

Mahoney, Am in the same boat. By the end of August will be sold down to a small handfull. Not going to hammer my grass into oblivion nor hock the family jewels to buy feed. Figure it is cheaper to store cash than feed cows and my pastures should recover fairly quickly when it finally does rain allowing me to buy back while others are still selling. Just trying to stay ahead of the curve.

Tough times don't last, tough people do.

There are many around who sold completely out last year. This year is almost as bad and more are selling out.

It is best to cut your losses. You can always build it back. You still have your equipment. When things turn around you can pick it all right back up.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3d6v58t3 said:

Sorry to hear about your situation. I remember it was just 2 years ago when you were moving onto your new place and starting a herd. Hope this drought breaks soon.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3d6v58t3 said:
Just joined this board and need as much help/advice as I can get. My wife and I will be moving on to 82 acres of land outside of Corsicana,Texas and I would like to try my hand at raising beef cattle for a profit. I have no idea where to start and hope I can get some good answers here. How many cattle can I run on 70 acres of land/what breed is easiest to raise for profit in this region/what should be planted in the pasture for grazeing/what feed to use in the winter/what cattle should I buy to start(1 bull 2 cows?)etc.etc.etc. Any help would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

MPR,

Lots of folks in that same boat with you. Sometimes the best decisions are the hardeset ones to make.

According to the climatologist that spoke at the Texas A & M Beef Cattle Short Course in College Station last week this hot, dry trend will continue for several more years.

I'm sorry to see you're having to sell out, but sometimes it's the best way to go. Did you get any of the rain last night (Monday)?

Mahoney,
Sorry to hear that you are selling the cattle. But Texan is right. Now, when the drought lets up you have a good start to that black herd of critters you were breeding up to.

At least you are enough of a cattleman to realize when enough was enough...The welfare of your cattle came before all else.

Hats off to you Mahoney.

Man that just sucks. Sorry to hear it. We are bone dry down here again with fire alerts being raised again. The only good thing is, they say it's keeping the hurricanes away.

Hang in there.

Well if they gotta go,much better to sell when they are in good flesh,believe you are doing the right thing.
I have walked the elevated runs at sale barns many times saddened by some one that tried to hold on to long,cattle were so poor they could hardly stand and made me wonder if even the canners wanted them.............good luck
PS keep your chin up,it will rain,grass will grow, and cattle will be fat.

sorry to hear that, Mahoney.

as has already been said, when things turn around, it could be a good opportunity to get those black cows you've been wanting. in the meantime, though, that angus bull may not be too happy with you for selling all his girlfriends. ;-)

Tonight going to check the cows I saw cows eating hog weed on 2 different farms. Never seen it before but I think I heard it on here before..... maybe. They don't have any grass. Bodies not too bad yet. It's bad here too.

I'm sorry it has come to this for you.

Take care.

Latest posts