Goat weeds

Help Support CattleToday:

Boom sprayers work better if your ground is flat and smooth. I have never had a place like that though so I have always used a boomless nozzle. I do have a boom sprayer on a 25 gallon tank I sometimes use to get areas I missed.

It depends on what you are spraying. I rent a 1000g sprayer with booms. It puts out 25g/ ac. For weeds and small 1st year growth it is more efficient with the foam markers and stuff. You can spray in some pretty good wind with it also. If you start getting in to husache, mesquite (the woody stuff) that are 2-3' tall... second year bushes... it doesn't get quite as good of coverage as the boom less nozzle. I would say its more like a 60% kill on the woody plants.

My ideal rig would be a 1000g trailer with hydraulic booms, that you can spray individually, and a boom less nozzle, with a pto pump, all controlled from the cab... and a pretty girl in a bikini to fill it for me. :)

Here is some stuff I sprayed last year. I snapped a pic as I was spraying it this year. Those are some pretty good size bushes. That is where that boom less nozzle shines IMO. Even when I run down ROWs Im getting 3-4' up the sides also. You can'y do that or kill these bushes with a normal boom sprayer like the one I rent.

20180918_153305_zps1kcm01rs.jpg

20180918_161551_zpswrwbyunc.jpg

20180918_161522_zpsqqhowkdl.jpg

TexasBred":3mz4l7op said:
bird dog":3mz4l7op said:
Its really to late do much of anything this year, but if you decide to spray it, use a cheap herbicide like plain ole 2 4 D. You won't get your moneys worth from a good product like Grazon. Paying up for a product that has soil residual at this time of year is a waste of money and might have a detrimental effect on your cool season grass that has yet to come up.

On another note, look for next year to be a bad weed year. The weeds like the grass did not do much this spring and summer do to lack of moisture and a cooler than normal April. Now with the big rains they are making up for lost time. They will dump a bunch of seed this fall and be ready when things return to normal which will probably be next April. Mother nature knows what she doing.
I'm going to disagree a little....never to early or late to use a "good product".
birddog is exactly right. theres no advantage to using grazon over 24d at this time of the year.unless you want to kill any chance of winter clover. read the label and do your research and you will understand. fwiw 24d is a good product as well.

bball":2gi3j606 said:
Brute,
How much better is that boomless nozzle vs. The small boom that comes stock on a fimco rig (the one with 3 nozzles, one in middle and at each end of tube). Is there a remarkable difference in your estimation?
I have both that short Fimco boom and a teejet boomless nozzle on my 330gal sprayer--I use a control valve to direct flow to one or the other.
The main difference between the 2 is the ability to easily shut one side off on the short Fimco but that the boomless nozzle can deliver more overall volume at the same or faster ground speed, and with the nozzles I have on the Tjet, the pattern swath is wider. Droplet size is larger for the teejet nozzle as well...less drift.
I set the boomless cluster nozzle up above and a few inches behind the Fimco so the piping of one wouldn't interfere with the spray of the other......if that makes sense.
temporary image upload

image websites upload

(It's about time to re plank that trailer and probably replace the tank....UV is doing a job on the top of the tank)

No, I use the Fimco most of the time, especially when weeds aren't as thick (like this year was) and I don't need the higher volume the cluster nozzle puts out. Early on, I used the cluster more, when I was getting rid of the thousands and thousands of tallow saplings that had sprouted up. (I could change the size of the nozzles in the cluster , but just never got around to ordering smaller ones.)

Keep in mind, I'm only keeping up with 124 acres and don't even spray all of that.
The Fimco will cover about 25' per pass at 45-55psi with a 6 roller pump.
The Fimco is kinda fragile tho......you have to be careful what kind of brush you run over. Except the tube, it's all plastic.
Someone here at CT has built one using the Fimco and is pressuring it with a 3.5gpm electric pump. I don't remember who.
BTW, I got the Fimco at Producers in Bryan and the cluster nozzle at a local hardware/farm supply store. If I remember right, they both cost about the same amount. The left/right Fimco nozzles run about $50 ea and the center nozzle is $15. I bought it complete for $150 I think in 2014.
The cluster nozzle (complete with inserts) was right at $195.

callmefence":19dvctyt said:
TexasBred":19dvctyt said:
bird dog":19dvctyt said:
Its really to late do much of anything this year, but if you decide to spray it, use a cheap herbicide like plain ole 2 4 D. You won't get your moneys worth from a good product like Grazon. Paying up for a product that has soil residual at this time of year is a waste of money and might have a detrimental effect on your cool season grass that has yet to come up.

On another note, look for next year to be a bad weed year. The weeds like the grass did not do much this spring and summer do to lack of moisture and a cooler than normal April. Now with the big rains they are making up for lost time. They will dump a bunch of seed this fall and be ready when things return to normal which will probably be next April. Mother nature knows what she doing.
I'm going to disagree a little....never to early or late to use a "good product".
birddog is exactly right. theres no advantage to using grazon over 24d at this time of the year.unless you want to kill any chance of winter clover. read the label and do your research and you will understand. fwiw 24d is a good product as well.
I don't have any clover.

TexasBred":2n5aoplj said:
callmefence":2n5aoplj said:
TexasBred":2n5aoplj said:
I don't have any clover.

Now you know why....

callmefence":1yaq720m said:
TexasBred":1yaq720m said:
callmefence":1yaq720m said:
I don't have any clover.

Now you know why....
Could be that I never planted any. :shock: :shock:

TexasBred":12yp0hrw said:
callmefence":12yp0hrw said:
TexasBred":12yp0hrw said:
I don't have any clover.

Now you know why....
Could be that I never planted any. :shock: :shock:

I would point out the obvious. But you've proven to be to small to.admit when you're wrong. So spray your grazon all dam winter. If you can find someone to buy it for you.

TexasBred":r7nndq0g said:
bird dog":r7nndq0g said:

Me too. 24D won't hurt your new grasses next spring. Per published data, it does not attack plants with parallel leaf structures. Grasses have such. Most weeds, broadleafs and some not so broad have a totally different pattern; rounded clumpy, irregular (as I recall) which is what the initial research on the product evidently found out and blended till they got the right recipe.

The other thing I like about it is it's cheap, available without an applicator's permit, and at a 1-2% solution on light to moderate weed density, one spraying and forget it for years. In my hay patch, I don't remember the last time I sprayed and still have to look real hard to find one and when I do it's Anemic.

I mix the white (forget the name) half and half with brown (Amine) as when you read the labels, the pests controlled are different.

The other thing I like about it is it's cheap, available without an applicator's permit
Only by the qt bottle unless things have changed. Odd you can't buy a 2.5 gal jug of it, but they don't care if you buy every case of qts they have at the dealer...

2,4-D Amine Herbicide with 46.8% 2,4-D, 2.5 Gallon (RUP)
RESTRICTED USE PESTICIDE - This is a Restricted Use Product in the State of Texas. For more information, please call us at 325-653-1300.

http://www.texasagriculture.gov/Regulat ... icide.aspx

State Limited Use Pesticide
State-Limited-Use Pesticides Defined by Active Ingredient

State Limited Use Pesticides/ [herbicides] are designated by the department. Because of their high potential to cause adverse effects to non-target sites a pesticide product containing an active ingredient in the following list is classified as a state-limited-use pesticide:
2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D); including acid, amine, choline, ester and salt formulations;

Exemptions from State-Limited-Use Classification

A pesticide product containing an active ingredient listed above is exempt from classification as a state limited use pesticide if the product:
is distributed in a container with a capacity less than or equal to one quart for liquid products or less than or equal to two pounds for dry or solid products
is a specialty fertilizer mixture labeled for ornamental use and registered as a commercial fertilizer under Chapter 63 of the Agriculture Code
is ready for use, requires no further mixing or dilution before use, and is packaged in a container of one gallon or less for liquid products or four pounds or less for dry or solid products

Same is true for Tordon...if one doesn't have applicators lic, they can only buy Tordon by the qt and only if it is premixed/RTU

greybeard":2cjon29u said:
The other thing I like about it is it's cheap, available without an applicator's permit
Only by the qt bottle unless things have changed. Odd you can't buy a 2.5 gal jug of it, but they don't care if you buy every case of qts they have at the dealer...

2,4-D Amine Herbicide with 46.8% 2,4-D, 2.5 Gallon (RUP)
RESTRICTED USE PESTICIDE - This is a Restricted Use Product in the State of Texas. For more information, please call us at 325-653-1300.

http://www.texasagriculture.gov/Regulat ... icide.aspx

State Limited Use Pesticide
State-Limited-Use Pesticides Defined by Active Ingredient

State Limited Use Pesticides/ [herbicides] are designated by the department. Because of their high potential to cause adverse effects to non-target sites a pesticide product containing an active ingredient in the following list is classified as a state-limited-use pesticide:
2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D); including acid, amine, choline, ester and salt formulations;

Exemptions from State-Limited-Use Classification

A pesticide product containing an active ingredient listed above is exempt from classification as a state limited use pesticide if the product:
is distributed in a container with a capacity less than or equal to one quart for liquid products or less than or equal to two pounds for dry or solid products
is a specialty fertilizer mixture labeled for ornamental use and registered as a commercial fertilizer under Chapter 63 of the Agriculture Code
is ready for use, requires no further mixing or dilution before use, and is packaged in a container of one gallon or less for liquid products or four pounds or less for dry or solid products

Same is true for Tordon...if one doesn't have applicators lic, they can only buy Tordon by the qt and only if it is premixed/RTU

Mark seems to be out in the weeds...lol
Grazon requires a permit....and has a strong residual. Well worth expense. WHEN you don't have frost coming in 4 to 8 weeks. 24d has no residual of course. I've got grazon next,p+d and straight tordon on the shelf. Unless I'm spraying pears I would never spray any of them this time of year. Not that they won't work. It's just a waste of money.

And yes 24d is regulated in Texas because of one word COTTON. And yes the way it is requlated is silly.

greybeard":2u6gkn1w said:
bball":2u6gkn1w said:
Brute,
How much better is that boomless nozzle vs. The small boom that comes stock on a fimco rig (the one with 3 nozzles, one in middle and at each end of tube). Is there a remarkable difference in your estimation?
I have both that short Fimco boom and a teejet boomless nozzle on my 330gal sprayer--I use a control valve to direct flow to one or the other.
The main difference between the 2 is the ability to easily shut one side off on the short Fimco but that the boomless nozzle can deliver more overall volume at the same or faster ground speed, and with the nozzles I have on the Tjet, the pattern swath is wider. Droplet size is larger for the teejet nozzle as well...less drift.
I set the boomless cluster nozzle up above and a few inches behind the Fimco so the piping of one wouldn't interfere with the spray of the other......if that makes sense.
temporary image upload

image websites upload

(It's about time to re plank that trailer and probably replace the tank....UV is doing a job on the top of the tank)

Thank you for taking the time to get these pics and label them. This is exactly the info i was looking for.
A few questions:
How wide a swath can you cover effectively with the boomless cluster nozzle?
Do you recall what nozzles you have on the Tjet?
Thats a great idea being able to switch between the 2 setups . I have been contemplating how to rig a larger tank set up instead of the 60 gallon stock set up on 3 point. Your trailer and tank set up looks like just the ticket as im only spraying about 120 acres total myself. Being able to mix 250 gallons at a time would be much more convenient.

Latest posts