GM Cars in the Future

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve":2idoezx4 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2idoezx4 said:
shaz":2idoezx4 said:
No exhaust, no transmission. Whole lot less stuff to wear out.

What I'm not seeing is electric vehicles finding their way into applications that require lower power to weight ratios like bulldozers and tractors. Seems like a good fit but no one is running with it yet.

Draglines and shovels have been running on electricity for several decades.
And trains
Submarine and ship as well have used diesel electric for decades.

Caustic Burno":347g5kwd said:
ohiosteve":347g5kwd said:
Farm Fence Solutions":347g5kwd said:
Draglines and shovels have been running on electricity for several decades.
And trains

I believe some submarines are nuclear as well. Maybe some day we'll have tiny nuclear reactors in our cars.

Rafter S":3notlk0f said:
Caustic Burno":3notlk0f said:
ohiosteve":3notlk0f said:
And trains

I believe some submarines are nuclear as well. Maybe some day we'll have tiny nuclear reactors in our cars.
Now that's thinking outside the box. I bet there's someone working on it right now...

Rafter you are probably closer than you think. They already have nukes the size of a car that will power a neighborhood. The tech is just not being pursued due to public refusal to accept the waste and fear of a disaster.
These units are enclosed in a steel and concrete structure that is never reopened. At the end of its lifetime the whole unit is disposed of as is and a new one could be put in its place. If these were to happen, than electric vehicles would be very competitive.
Here is an old article.
https://www.forbes.com/forbes/2008/1124/107.html

bird dog":1d8tsv22 said:
Rafter you are probably closer than you think. They already have nukes the size of a car that will power a neighborhood. The tech is just not being pursued due to public refusal to accept the waste and fear of a disaster.
These units are enclosed in a steel and concrete structure that is never reopened. At the end of its lifetime the whole unit is disposed of as is and a new one could be put in its place. If these were to happen, than electric vehicles would be very competitive.
Here is an old article.
https://www.forbes.com/forbes/2008/1124/107.html

No way in HeII is that happening the government is after our guns now.
There is no way they are letting you have a dirty bomb in the driveway

Caustic Burno":1ydk991u said:
shaz":1ydk991u said:
Caustic Burno":1ydk991u said:
It is very inefficient your making electricity with fossil fuel to charge a battery.
This is psychics 101 it takes X pounds of carbon to move Y pounds to Z.
It doesn't matter if it comes from a internal combustion engine or out the smokestack of a Utility company.
I would have to research the electric car if I remember correctly gasoline is 30% efficient. The electric car is like 50% the efficiency to make the electricity isn't counted against it.
You still have the same amount of drag on both all things equal. The electric is more efficient losing the tranny where it looses efficiency is the production of the electricity. This goes back to boiler, generator, transformer, transmission lines, temperature etc. loosing in every step. This is the smoke and mirrors the consumer doesn't see.

Cheaper to transport gasoline? I highly doubt it.

On a btu basis I bet it is.
One gallon of gas = roughly 115k btus
This is all about btus doesn't matter if it's at the power plant the plug or pump were buying btus.

Just googled this. At my current electric rate the cost is about even.

The ratings are based on EPA's formula, in which 33.7 kilowatt hours of electricity is equivalent to one gallon of gasoline, and the energy consumption of each vehicle during EPA's five standard drive cycle tests simulating varying driving conditions.

So roughly 700 kilowatts per fill up "recharge" would be equivalent to a 20 gal fill up. If that is true gas would be about half the cost per fill up/ recharge at my kilowatt rate.

Rafter S":zc2z45tt said:
Caustic Burno":zc2z45tt said:
ohiosteve":zc2z45tt said:
And trains

I'm not talking diesel/electric or having a nuclear powered electrical generator on board.....I'm talking about dragging an umbilical cord everywhere they go, plugged right into the grid. You know....good clean zero emissions kind of coal mining equipment. :lol: Lots of battery/electricity powered equipment underground, as well.

The electric infrastructure in the US won;t support all of the required charging.

Farm Fence Solutions":2v0f7pgm said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV_GgNfmTus

One of the 2570's that swing in my neighborhood. All electric...drags a cord.
There's one similar in size up in Marshall Tx working a coal mine. You can see it from US59 as well as the new powerline the utility company ran to power it. Two 3500HP electric motors according to the article.

http://www.coalage.com/features/4274-dr ... dmXsGhSy00

Latest posts