Gin Trash value

Help Support CattleToday:

jedstivers

Reaction score
Anybody feeding gin trash? I've got wheat planted and some corn saved for the bad days and also whole cottonseed. Can get plenty of gin trash and cows love it I just don't know the value of it. Going to have weaning age heifers 1 head to 1 1/2 to 2 acre. All thoughts and ideas both good and bad welcome.In E.AR. TIA

I don't remember the protein value but it is worth more than what I pay for it. I can get it for the cost of freight. If nothing else, you are importing nutrients to your land. Cows do like it and I think each module will vary in its nutrional value by the amount of cotton seed it contains. Best to put some panels around it and creep it so to speak. I'll try and find something on the value for you.

jedstivers":33ywtseh said:
Anybody feeding gin trash? I've got wheat planted and some corn saved for the bad days and also whole cottonseed. Can get plenty of gin trash and cows love it I just don't know the value of it. Going to have weaning age heifers 1 head to 1 1/2 to 2 acre. All thoughts and ideas both good and bad welcome.In E.AR. TIA

Know several who have used gin trash or ground burrs during drought periods. Typical analysis for protein will be around 8%. Higher than cottonseed hulls because there will be some left cotton as well as seed in the mix. Awfully dusty but like you said, cattle love it. I haven't heard a price on it lately but like everything else it is probably higher than a couple years ago so should be somewhere between $65 and $85 a ton delivered to your place. Amazing...when I was a kid they burned all that "junk".

Jogeephus":2lfndtn0 said:
I don't remember the protein value but it is worth more than what I pay for it. I can get it for the cost of freight. If nothing else, you are importing nutrients to your land. Cows do like it and I think each module will vary in its nutrional value by the amount of cotton seed it contains. Best to put some panels around it and creep it so to speak. I'll try and find something on the value for you.
About 11%
http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/B1311.htm

TexasBred":racwuxid said:
jedstivers":racwuxid said:

Know several who have used gin trash or ground burrs during drought periods. Typical analysis for protein will be around 8%. Higher than cottonseed hulls because there will be some left cotton as well as seed in the mix. Awfully dusty but like you said, cattle love it. I haven't heard a price on it lately but like everything else it is probably higher than a couple years ago so should be somewhere between $65 and $85 a ton delivered to your place. Amazing...when I was a kid they burned all that "junk".
this is free. I haul it myself 8 miles with a 30 foot dump so its cheap feed .

It is good feed TDN typically around 40-44% and protein around 12% as long as it hasn't got wet. If your cows are tin you may need to supplement with some shell corn. You may be able to buy that at going rate from a local farmer.

My grandpa back in the day use to get it free from one of our local mills and his cows loved the stuff. He always made a point to keep it dry because if it gets wet the stuff is a mess. Its value when he got it was between 5-10% he always fed it in the winter with hay has a supplement. We would feed it today but there is no where i can get it anymore.. :(

jedstivers":2m8ptbek said:
TexasBred":2m8ptbek said:
jedstivers":2m8ptbek said:

this is free. I haul it myself 8 miles with a 30 foot dump so its cheap feed .

Jed...at that price I'd get me a boat load of it. Combined with you whole cottonseed and corn you'll have a pretty good ration my friend and I wouldn't worry too much about the corn if you have adequate seed.

Well now I've gotten about 125,000 # put up and gotten the feed bunks,water tank and round pen done. Almost done with fence and heifers will be here Monday or Tuesday so I'm almost to the work part.

Well I dug this one out just for a update, the cattle have done real good this winter and eaten quite a bit of gintrash. I think I'm on to a pretty good program with the wheat and gintrash with a little bit hay for backup. I don't think I need the corn at all and just some cottonseed in the really bad weather and to keep them gentle. Now I wounder if a round hay baler would handle gintrash and we could handle it that way? (just a thought that probably won't work)

jedstivers":lpv9jm07 said:
Well I dug this one out just for a update, the cattle have done real good this winter and eaten quite a bit of gintrash. I think I'm on to a pretty good program with the wheat and gintrash with a little bit hay for backup. I don't think I need the corn at all and just some cottonseed in the really bad weather and to keep them gentle. Now I wounder if a round hay baler would handle gintrash and we could handle it that way? (just a thought that probably won't work)

i read an article a couple years back where a guy in stephenville tx(owns the john deere dealership there i think) and he modified a round baler for gin trash.
seems like he put them in windrows and added molasses...don't remember.
but gin trash in west texas is stipper cotton so he has a lot of cotton burs in it.
ya'll have picker cotton right ?
so no cotton burs ?

Arkieman":2gn7at1f said:
Thanks for the update, what size place do you need to store 125k pounds of gin trash?
I put it in modules just the same as we put the picked cotton in, that way I could tarp it with module tarps. They are 32' long X I think 6' wide and about 8' tall. it took four modules to do this. In the hills they are dumping on the ground and using a dozer to pack tight, also I think some are putting it in old silage pits.

cross_7":1dxk7w9r said:
jedstivers":1dxk7w9r said:

i read an article a couple years back where a guy in stephenville tx(owns the john deere dealership there i think) and he modified a round baler for gin trash.
seems like he put them in windrows and added molasses...don't remember.
but gin trash in west texas is stipper cotton so he has a lot of cotton burs in it.
ya'll have picker cotton right ?
so no cotton burs ?
Yeah its picker cotton but it has a lot of burs but not as many as them.

jed you should watch out for a fire gin trash will self combust. if it gets wet it might start to catch fire and if you bale it in a round baler keep an eye on your rollers for cotton wrapping and starting a fire at the walls. as a gin man for years cotton gin trash has caught fire when left alone for months in its pile. feed it with confidence its good feed and your cows will pick through it and get the motes and cotton seed that is left in the trash. does it come from a pile that's blown out or under a trash master some systems add water to keep the dust down. when water is added the fire danger goes up the longer its sits so be careful where you store it a module of trash will catch fire in a few months if left outside in the rain by august or so it will be gone picker thrash has fewer burs and more motes and seeds per weight than stripper cotton just wandering what gin as i worked on a lot of them over the years. many in ark and miss.

crats":2d3depnc said:
jed you should watch out for a fire gin trash will self combust. if it gets wet it might start to catch fire and if you bale it in a round baler keep an eye on your rollers for cotton wrapping and starting a fire at the walls. as a gin man for years cotton gin trash has caught fire when left alone for months in its pile. feed it with confidence its good feed and your cows will pick through it and get the motes and cotton seed that is left in the trash. does it come from a pile that's blown out or under a trash master some systems add water to keep the dust down. when water is added the fire danger goes up the longer its sits so be careful where you store it a module of trash will catch fire in a few months if left outside in the rain by august or so it will be gone picker thrash has fewer burs and more motes and seeds per weight than stripper cotton just wandering what gin as i worked on a lot of them over the years. many in ark and miss.
crats, it's one with a trash master but they have very little water going in and if we get it before a rain it is dry enough. If it has been rained on we just loose pile it and use it for fertilizer. Its in Marianna Ar, MMF.

yes i did some work on those gins i think its two gins that are inline we ran most of the sheet metal in those gins remember they moved the roof line on the prints and didn;t tell contenintal and all the pipes were too long and had to be trimed or cut at the locale. just be careful for fire if you store it for months in a compacted (module) form. it also makes great compost but watch out for weeds often the heat it goes through kills some seeds but not all of them. but i'm sure you know all of this.

Latest posts