Delivered and stacked value

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
If you had a bunch of coastal small squares.
And several strong hands.
The hay value is of course is determined by local market.
How much would be a fair price to deliver and stack in the barn.?

Small bales. Heavy small bales. Delivered AND stacked in my barn?

Dunno. How do you put a value on something that's priceless?

Just thinking about them little ******** makes me cringe..

greybeard":o5in3xr1 said:
Small bales. Heavy small bales. Delivered AND stacked in my barn?

Dunno. How do you put a value on something that's priceless?

Just thinking about them little ******** makes me cringe..

So how many should I put you down for?

Just thinking off the top of my head. I carry about 70 bales on my little 16' bumper pull trailer. There's a hay auction about 5 miles from my house. When I run out, I head over and get some more. I usually give from $3.50-$7.00 per bale. Bermuda brings $5.00 here btw. We're 2.5 hours round trip. If you call our time $15 an hour and the miles $3, then we have $105 in 70 bales. Hard to say family time, and miles on my truck have value, but it's a starting point.

Feeding, storing square bales goes under the working smarter not harder rule around here. I did make a half dozen 2'x4' round bales to feed to cows that I might have to doctor or had calving issues.
How many squares will fit on a pallet?

True Grit Farms":1jhhlqxk said:
Feeding, storing square bales goes under the working smarter not harder rule around here. I did make a half dozen 2'x4' round bales to feed to cows that I might have to doctor or had calving issues.

21 50 pound bales in a bundle. Can load here with forks. This ain't for cow feed. Target is horse owner's primarily.

RanchMan90":iul45dvq said:
$1 a bale to deliver and stack is what I was getting in high school with a 3 man crew.

Ha I got . 35 cents a bale in high school

I really think figuring time fuel, labor, matching SS and Medical it would take 3.00 to make a profit.

Edit..a real profit

How many bales? If it's good orders like 500 or 1000+ it's doable.

The problem I always had was most people didn't buy enough to make it worth while for some one else to haul and stack them. I was better off selling them 50-75 at a time and delivering them myself.

Brute 23":p9z6c4as said:

The problem I always had was most people didn't buy enough to make it worth while for some one else to haul and stack them. I was better off selling them 50-75 at a time and delivering them myself.

I'm thinking it would have to be 100 bale minimum. I kinda think it's doable with us being close enough to Austin. Lots of soft hands and big wallets. We have to get creative when deer season comes around. It causes fence building to slow down. If you can't keep your men busy you lose them.

callmefence":4zd8l3to said:
Brute 23":4zd8l3to said:

I'm thinking it would have to be 100 bale minimum. I kinda think it's doable with us being close enough to Austin. Lots of soft hands and big wallets. We have to get creative when deer season comes around. It causes fence building to slow down. If you can't keep your men busy you lose them.

There's good money in horse hay. There's two folks around here that round bale everything for ease of handling and it's so much quicker. Then whenever a order comes in they unroll round bales and make square bales. Everything is done in a barn and they even spray green dye on the hay if need be.

A real good friend of mine, sells horse hay. Small squares of course. He's also been the most successful at raising Bermuda (Tifton 44) of any body I know. He has a couple of teenage Amish boys that stack it on cotton wagons, as he bales it. He's got barn space for the wagons (tobacco settlement bought). He calls a customer, and they come get the loaded wagon, and bring it back when they unload it. He gets $5.00 a bale, and people are glad to give it. He's not out much physical labor, and sells about 8,000 bales a year. I would actually like to start buying from him, but all of his hay is spoken for, for the foreseeable future.

Talked to a friend who is in the business and he said you might want to look at doing it a couple ways. First, he said if he sells a bale to a feed store say for $5.00 they add a $1.00 to it just for handling it and they sell it for $6.00. Since you are going to be loading it you'll be handling it and need that $1.00. Then delivery is by the mile so you figure the miles but if its close you might just hide the delivery charge in the delivered price and get $2.00 delivered and stacked so there is the $3.00 like you figured.

However, the way he prefers to do it is get his $5 up front at the barn and he puts them in contact with one of his guys and they make arrangements on delivery and stacking and the buyer pays this separately. This way he knows the money is good before the delivery is made so if he gets stuck he won't get stuck for the hay, delivery and labor and he doesn't have to deal with the drama that sometimes occurs with stuff like this. Also, doing it this way his "guys" turn into pretty good hay salesmen for him.

callmefence":3jg4u5tz said:
True Grit Farms":3jg4u5tz said:

21 50 pound bales in a bundle. Can load here with forks. This ain't for cow feed. Target is horse owner's primarily.
Just don't under price it or they'll think it's no good. Set the price above cow hay...after all this IS "Horse Hay". ;-)

Latest posts