First Cutting Nutritional Value

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Even though we have had rain and I still have hay left from winter I always like to buy hay because I never know what the next season will bring. I guy is selling fertilized hay grazer first cut bales. In general would these have a very good nutritional value or should I wait for second cutting to buy? I have enough hay to last but if there is no rain not sure if we get a secon cutting. My cattle LOVE hay grazer over anything else this last year so I am tring to stick to that from now on.

If you know it was fertilized well, has not been stressed and the price is right I'd get it while I could. No guarantee of a 2nd cutting especially with that stuff. Nutritional value should be good IF he cuts it on time and doesn't let it get too tall. Never hurts to have some surplus hay just in case.

4X5 for $50 is a pretty good rate for my area. Last years hay is going for $50 right now.

The only way you'll actually know if those bales will have good nutritional value is to get them cored and send those cored samples to a feed lab.

Latest posts