cornstalk/ Milo value.

Help Support CattleToday:

fenceman

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to trade some work for hay. I did this last year with same farm and it was ok deal for everyone.coastal and haygrazer. This year I will have to take cornstalk/Milo and coastal. I will have about 30 dollars a ton in cornstalk. I would like opinions on feed quality and value. This is 2014 crop and I would not be feeding it until next winter, mostly with fall oats. all opinions greatly valued. ...... considering keeping cornstalk and selling coastal for a nice profit????

I've fed baled milo stalks several years with excellent results. Always said I'd sell out before I'd feed corn stalks. But that's just me.

I agree with TexasBred. Milo is good and and you will have a decent protein value. Corn not so much and it seems the waste is much higher. You also need to look closely at the bales. Some of it molds and mildews easily if not baled or stacked correctly.

Agree with bird dog. Make sure they are made good carrying cornstalks over a year the bales may not hold up as well as hay depending on your weather and if the bales our covered.

Our cows eat the corn stalks well seems like they like the leaves and husks more than stemmy crp hay or first cutting. Need supplemented something higher energy and i just set the bale were i want bedded and any leftover stalks make good bedding.