giant udder

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":1pmtybkw said:
True but if you'll notice there's a black cow behind the jersey and the "gate". That pen she's in is made of tin, old pallets, worn out fences, pipe and who knows what else. It doesn't have to be shiny and fancy but you can do a better job with what you have. Mine is not the best but it's not dangerous to the cattle or "me" either.

Not sure what is wrong with those materials, I have all of them somewhere or other on corrals. Heck the ones in those pictures aren't even tied up with baling twine! (for the record I hate fence repairs made with twine - that stuff is just useless, in my opinion. Baling WIRE is the preferred joining material ;-) ) If it is tied up good an tight I don't see what the danger is. A shiny new panel that is just leaning is more dangerous than a tight "ranch rigged" fence any day.

Hippie you're just begging for a case of hardware. Quit the wire and use duct tape. Won't last as long but will hold tight. :lol: :lol:

TexasBred":3er1bo68 said:
Hippie you're just begging for a case of hardware. Quit the wire and use duct tape. Won't last as long but will hold tight. :lol: :lol:
Duck tape is only good for applications out of sunlight. Besides the cows find it to be as delicious as that darn twine. :shock:

dun":3hu6e5tx said:
Keren":3hu6e5tx said:
Hillsdown, what causes an udder to blow out like that?

Weak attachment for the amount of weight (milk) they carry.

Thanks Dun, sorry Keren for not getting back earlier.
We push our cows sometimes too hard and their genetics can not keep up.When choosing semen udder attachment should always be of highest priority.I hear that Fustead Emory Blitz daughters (Holstein) are having this problem, they are crazy milkers but are not strong enough in the udder attachment to keep up and fall apart in later lactations.This is rumor only though, and I have not personally seen it; but I have seen quite a few Park daughters fall apart.The last one was in her 3rd lactation we had just had her classified and she went VG88.We had very high hopes for her as she came in double in milk production than the last lactation. I came in the parlor one morning and saw a cow standing in the sick bay that looked like her ,I was shocked when I finally saw her tag number.Her udder blew apart over night.She went down the road that Thursday.Sometimes there are absolutely no indications although the classifier had mentioned that it was common in Park daughters when he had seen her the week before.So we did have a heads up that it could happen.A heart breaker nonetheless.

JERSEY MAN":3sw7rh9y said:
any ideas about this cow, the owner says she is 7 years old, freshened a month ago, only gives four galon a day, but it just don't look right, any help, ideas would be appreciated. looks like a problem to me.

Those big bag cows generally have mastitis issues, but not always, could be her age, she may just have the tendency to have a big bag. I have had a few like this, they are hard to milk, but sometimes their bags do go down after a bit.

GMN

Had a first calf holstein heifer blow out her bag when she calved. It got huge prior to calving and that was it. Went from being a money maker to a packer overnight. Enough to make a grown man cry. :cry2:

TexasBred":313ycrrg said:
Had a first calf holstein heifer blow out her bag when she calved. It got huge prior to calving and that was it. Went from being a money maker to a packer overnight. Enough to make a grown man cry. :cry2:

Wow, that's something you don't hear very often of a heifer.
What was she?

Hills....a first for me too. A beautiful out of this world heifer. Her bag wouldn't fit into a # 3 washtub and her 4 tits pointed in 4 diff. directions almost sideways.

I saw a Jersey heifer once with very poor support... just dropped her first calf and looked like a 3rd lactation animal.

Latest posts