GH Rambo / Ft. Worth Pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

I talked with someone who had seen him in Denver who said he probably weighs around 3000 lbs. Hope thats big enough.

I've been talking with another member of this board and we've were disappointed with these pictures. Honestly, I don't think he has as much width, bone, and structurally soundness as some of the other AI Sires available. I can't imagine how much a 3000 pound bull would eat, but I bet it's more than I can afford. Also the "darker" (black in my opinion) hairs are undesirable in my view. Liked the earlier pictures, but these just don't do it.

CPL":1pds11ep said:
I've been talking with another member of this board and we've were disappointed with these pictures. Honestly, I don't think he has as much width, bone, and structurally soundness as some of the other AI Sires available. I can't imagine how much a 3000 pound bull would eat, but I bet it's more than I can afford. Also the "darker" (black in my opinion) hairs are undesirable in my view. Liked the earlier pictures, but these just don't do it.

I don't think these pictures do proper justice to Rambo. Having seen the bull in person at the show, he appears different than these photos project him. I spent a great deal of time looking at him. Whether there is some distortion because of the camera lense or other causes, I don't know. I know I've taken more than a few bad pictures - and had a few taken of me! :lol2:

Rambo is simply a bear. He's got a world of bone and as much width as I've seen in a Hereford bull. When I was looking at him, he had those legs squarely placed on all four corners. He is unique. I agree Rambo's bigger than what I want...but that is about the only criticism I have - other than the fact he's horned. Now, those two criticisms are the main reasons that I won't likely use him - but I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone else from using him if those two things didn't bother them. He's a breed changing bull and can definitely add some things to many cowherds.

George

This is more like the bull I saw:

rambo-dec06.jpg

Just one year more mature!

Here's a link to a brochure about Rambo:

http://www.hirsche.com/2008denver/rambo.pdf

Here's a link to a video (requires QuickTime):

http://hirsche.com/2007dvd/rambo.mov

Same video, not quite as good quality video, but works with Windows Media Player:

http://www.hirsche.com/2007dvd/rambo.wmv

George

For what it is worth, I agree completely with George. Other than horns and being a bit too big for my tastes, I thought he was an extremely impressive bull. Only other thing I would add is that he's a little straight on his back legs but, I thought he moved really well.

Sorry George I like the horns. That deep red color he has also appeals to me. If you took a look at Duns posting about Pics you will see our herd. You will see that the direction we want to go is towards a much more muscle, especially on the rear. Now Rambo is very nice, but too much bull for the cows we have now.
I would sure love to see him in person though.

I like him pretty well, I have been trying to locate a price on his semen (not to buy, just curious) anyone have a link or know his pricing?

Also, is his dam horned or polled? By her AHA # it appears she is horned, by her pic she looks polled. The AHA site does not state which she is, other than her #.

Thanks,
Alan

I luv herfrds":1pddn9p3 said:
Sorry George I like the horns. That deep red color he has also appeals to me. If you took a look at Duns posting about Pics you will see our herd. You will see that the direction we want to go is towards a much more muscle, especially on the rear. Now Rambo is very nice, but too much bull for the cows we have now.
I would sure love to see him in person though.

Horns don't bother me. It's the dehorning that does!

George

George,

Now that was the bull I would have been expecting to see! Are those the same two bulls? Thanks for reminding me a picture is just a picture :D . He is a hulk though. Would be nice if they could get a son of his to carry those traits in a more moderate package.

CPL":3fzy4x5m said:
George,

Now that was the bull I would have been expecting to see! Are those the same two bulls? Thanks for reminding me a picture is just a picture :D . He is a hulk though. Would be nice if they could get a son of his to carry those traits in a more moderate package.

I wouldn't mind if a few more moderate POLLED sons with the same width and cpapcity appears on the scene soon!

On the picture comment, I too thought he was a bit straight in the hocks, but after seeing the video clip George posted he doesn't look posty in that clip at all.

CPL":1rrf59ji said:
Would be nice if they could get a son of his to carry those traits in a more moderate package.

That's the reason I don't completely discount Rambo on his size alone. He will have some sons that will be much more moderate in frame, yet still have some of his carcass traits and growth traits.

George

Herefords.US":ntpo60fq said:
CPL":ntpo60fq said:
Would be nice if they could get a son of his to carry those traits in a more moderate package.

That's the reason I don't completely discount Rambo on his size alone. He will have some sons that will be much more moderate in frame, yet still have some of his carcass traits and growth traits.

George

What is his frame score? He didn't look that extreme to me.

It's just a guess on my part, but I'd say 7 to 7.5 frame score.

I've been watching the Four L sale on DV Auction. They led off their sale with a "six pack" of Rambo sired calves, all September babies. The lone heifer calf brought $7900. I didn't get to see what the first bull calf brought, which should have been the highest seller, but the other 4 bull calves sold from $3700 to $9000+ each.

Quite a contrast from many of their coming two year old bulls currently selling down in the $1800 range.

George

Alan":1dfs0opm said:
I like him pretty well, I have been trying to locate a price on his semen (not to buy, just curious) anyone have a link or know his pricing?

Also, is his dam horned or polled? By her AHA # it appears she is horned, by her pic she looks polled. The AHA site does not state which she is, other than her #.

Thanks,
Alan

There's no price, because it's not for sale -- at least right now. They did sell a special lot at the Ft. Worth Commercial Sale, but I can't remember the price. H2 made the purchase (I think).

I thought they were selling semen packages in their ad in the 2007 AI Book. I think it was $2500, but I'll have to look. They probably sold out of them by now though.

Latest posts