Registered Brangus Heifers Worth

Help Support CattleToday:

Hardin Farms

Reaction score
Local rancher here has a set of 10 registered brangus heifers for sale. They aren't going to be anything super special, just your run of the mill registered stock. They are good, thick, healthy females. He's had them with an Ultrablack bull since May 1, so I'm hoping most, if not all, would be bred.

What are you guys paying for registered stuff these days? I have a commercial angus/brangus operation now, but I have my eye on a registred brangus bull, so I would be able to register the calves from these heifers. Guy is asking 1500/ head for the set. All are around the 14-16 month mark in age. Any advice would be happily welcomed!

You would be hard pressed to raise them for that money. Do know the bull their bred to?
I don't. I'll do some more talking with him later. I know he used a calving ease bull, but nothing other than that. I have a hard time finding quality commercial females for much less than that. These heifers are all uniform which i feel would benefit my program long term.

Do you have a market for the registered calves? Reason I ask is using a Brangus bull on Brangus cows will put a lot of ear on the calves. The market that I sell to docs these pretty hard.
Steers get hit pretty hard around here. Females do pretty good if your raise them as replacements. I'd use a brangus bull for a few years just to build my herd a little, then id probably go back with an Angus bull. Technically i guess i'd be breeding for ultrablack calves long term. Less leather and ear. I think i could do okay with them around here. There's also a stockyard south of me that typically markets brangus pretty well. Worst case is i have to drive a few miles to market them there. i need about 20 more head for my property. I'm seeing commercial replacements around here for 1250/head. I guess what attracted me the most was the uniformity with this set.

Well the price is not bad if the quality is there. If it were me. I would ask about leaving them with his bull for another couple months. Leave them on his grass and get them all bred to the same daddy if he is indeed a decent low birth weight bull.

My neighbor runs a brangus bull on his brangus cows. Some of his calves are excellent, some are short bodied with way to much leather. His bull jumped the fence last year and bred a couple of my Braford cows. You could spot these calves from a mile away versus my other calves that were sired by a straight angus.

If you decide to buy, get us some pictures.

Well the price is not bad if the quality is there. If it were me. I would ask about leaving them with his bull for another couple months. Leave them on his grass and get them all bred to the same daddy if he is indeed a decent low birth weight bull.

My neighbor runs a brangus bull on his brangus cows. Some of his calves are excellent, some are short bodied with way to much leather. His bull jumped the fence last year and bred a couple of my Braford cows. You could spot these calves from a mile away versus my other calves that were sired by a straight angus.

If you decide to buy, get us some pictures.
I'm a fool for Braford and Brangus females. Just had awesome luck in my short time as a cattleman with them.

I'd kicked around the idea of a Hereford bull some time down the road after I finally get my herd built up. The white face really sells around here.

I'll definitely post some pics if I buy..

Here in NW Ga, $1500 for registered Brangus that are bred, would be a great deal. There is huge Brangus ranch near me, Salacoa Valley Farms, that will get $15,000 and up for theirs. It all depends on the bloodlines. I have a client down in south Ga, that last year bred a lot of their reg Brangus to registered Black Herford bulls, specifically to get replacement, black baldy heifers. I was down there in February when they weaned their fall calves , and a buyer was there who paid $1500 each for them. The spring calves had just started dropping then, and he paid the same for each one that was on the ground, to be picked up at weaning, and made a deal to take every one yet to be born. I think that $1500 for the bunch you described, not a bad deal at all. Breeding up reg Ultra Black back to reg Bangus takes a couple of generations. They have to be 87.5% Brangus. Those calves from these Heifers will be 50% Brangus. Breed them to a Brangus, and those calves will be 75% Brangus. Breed these back one more time to a Brangus, and those calves will be eligible to registered Brangus. https://gobrangus.com/tperkins-breeding-up/

Here in NW Ga, $1500 for registered Brangus that are bred, would be a great deal. There is huge Brangus ranch near me, Salacoa Valley Farms, that will get $15,000 and up for theirs. It all depends on the bloodlines. I have a client down in south Ga, that last year bred a lot of their reg Brangus to registered Black Herford bulls, specifically to get replacement, black baldy heifers. I was down there in February when they weaned their fall calves , and a buyer was there who paid $1500 each for them. The spring calves had just started dropping then, and he paid the same for each one that was on the ground, to be picked up at weaning, and made a deal to take every one yet to be born. I think that $1500 for the bunch you described, not a bad deal at all. Breeding up reg Ultra Black back to reg Bangus takes a couple of generations. They have to be 87.5% Brangus. Those calves from these Heifers will be 50% Brangus. Breed them to a Brangus, and those calves will be 75% Brangus. Breed these back one more time to a Brangus, and those calves will be eligible to registered Brangus. https://gobrangus.com/tperkins-breeding-up/
The black baldy replacement market here is killer. Specifically ones with a touch of ear.

Since I'm just getting started, that might be the route to go. I know it takes more than buying a few heifers and a bull, but that very could be my goal with these. I know i'll never be a 15k breeder, but if i could consistently produce quality replacement heifers that are healthy and thrive on grass/climate of our area, it'd be better than selling them as feeders. I enjoy the cattle and the people.

I may pull the trigger.. I could go several different ways.

The black baldy replacement market here is killer. Specifically ones with a touch of ear.

Since I'm just getting started, that might be the route to go. I know it takes more than buying a few heifers and a bull, but that very could be my goal with these. I know i'll never be a 15k breeder, but if i could consistently produce quality replacement heifers that are healthy and thrive on grass/climate of our area, it'd be better than selling them as feeders. I enjoy the cattle and the people.

I may pull the trigger.. I could go several different ways.
With just 10, you could look into AI-ing to a Black Hereford bull, and pay extra to buy sexed semen. Then you'd get 10 black baldy heifers the first go round. My client has also bred about 40 reg Brahma cows to reg Black Hereford bulls, and about 8 Black Herford cows to a Brahma bull. These F1's can be registered with ABBA as Golden Certified. He is debating going ahead and developing actual Black Brafords, if he can get the UBB to register them. Or register them as Braford Plus. If not, he will NOT fool with trying to start yet another registry.

Here, BWF are well received. We used to sell bred heifers in a regional bred sale and the BWF would hold their own or in a lot of cases top the sale consistently. If you are in an area that Brangus and other ear cattle are used then I would think a BWF with a little ear would be a real good calf. I wouldn't think you could hardly go wrong with good Brangus Heifers regardless of what they get bred to be it Brangus, Angus or Hereford.

Latest posts