Getting them bunk broke

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We worked the calves and gave them their second round of shots on 5/12/15. At this point all the bull and heifer calves are still together, but as of Saturday we finally have them all coming into the feed pen. So this week we will separate the bull calves from the heifer calves the heifers will stay at the main farm the bull calves will be hauled to the house. They are a little short on bunk space right now. I like seeing them like this a uniform set of calves makes me happy happy happy!

gizmom

That is a nice-looking bunch of uniform calves. I sometimes creep feed my calves for a while just to get them used to eating feed. It sure helps them get on it quicker when I wean.

Thanks all, we are really tickled with the calf crop this year does this old heart good to see the results of a whole lot of hard work. Well me hard work on the computer planning the mating or entering data. The boss is the one that really works his arse off, and he does an awesome job of managing the cattle day in and day out. This was the first year that we didn't creep. Not creep feeding was a management decision, instead of creep we planted more winter pasture. Our weaning weights did not seem to suffer for the decision, and we feel our customers will reap the benefits of calves that can perform on forage. We will split the calves this week I have to get busy picking which bull calves to send to the Florida Bull Test. I have a bunch of options this year its going to make it a tough decision on who to send.

gizmom

Gizmom, we try and bunk feed to make our calves easy to handle. Did you see where leaving them on winter pasture made the calves more jumpy around people?

highgrit":2zea63x0 said:
Gizmom, we try and bunk feed to make our calves easy to handle. Did you see where leaving them on winter pasture made the calves more jumpy around people?
Once I put mine in the lot and start hand/bunk feeding it takes only a few days before they don't care I'm their.

highgrit

I can't really see any difference. We fence line wean, so we put feeders out in the pasture and started putting feed out, it took them a few days to get over mamma and find the feed. Once they were eating we started moving the bunks closer to the feed pen, last Friday they told me that all of the calves but one or two had come up to the pen to eat. My son sent me this photo on Saturday he said all of the calves came into the pen. They are pretty tight we need a couple more bunks for this number but once we get the heifers and bulls split it won't be so crowded. We sent some cull calves to the barn last week two were really nice calves but acted crazy the first time in the chute, which earned them a trip to town. If a calf is crazy at weaning we sure don't want to be working them when they are 16 month old bulls, they can hurt you.

P.S. Ear Tags are my friend!

gizmom

Latest posts