Getting stump jumpers back on a Brush Hog.

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have fianlly won the battle of removing the stump jumpers from my 10' brush hog and have now cleaned all of the high tensile wire off of the spindles (actually quite easy once I got those basta*ds off using 10 tons of hydraulic pressure).

My question now is how is the best way to get them back on? Each weighs 75lbs or so. I am not willing to have anyone help me and have two of us under it jostling the cutter around while it is on jack stands. My thought is that I can lower the cutter and have it back on the ground with a jack-stand on each of the 4 corners and take a floor jack to raise one side of each of the jumpers while I raise the other half by hand with me under it. I just want to get it each of them on the spindle enough to get the crown nuts started and then I am good.

I am by myself most of the time, but my son has agreed to come next weekend to operate the floor jack for me. Maybe two jacks would be better? Are there any easier suggestions as to how to get them back on?

Floor jack is how I would do it. No need in fighting with it or hurting yourself.

When I did one on a 6 footer, I just stood the mower up on end with a 4x4 as a brace to hold it up. Don't imagine that would work well on a pull type though, if that's what you have.

After blocking it up crawl under it with the stump jumper on your stomach. Once you spline it up hold it with your knees until you start the nut. Tighten the nut.
You ain't that old, go for it. Lol

sstterry said:
I have fianlly won the battle of removing the stump jumpers from my 10' brush hog and have now cleaned all of the high tensile wire off of the spindles (actually quite easy once I got those basta*ds off using 10 tons of hydraulic pressure).

My question now is how is the best way to get them back on? Each weighs 75lbs or so. I am not willing to have anyone help me and have two of us under it jostling the cutter around while it is on jack stands. My thought is that I can lower the cutter and have it back on the ground with a jack-stand on each of the 4 corners and take a floor jack to raise one side of each of the jumpers while I raise the other half by hand with me under it. I just want to get it each of them on the spindle enough to get the crown nuts started and then I am good.

I am by myself most of the time, but my son has agreed to come next weekend to operate the floor jack for me. Maybe two jacks would be better? Are there any easier suggestions as to how to get them back on?

Do you have a front in loader or a neighbor that will loan you one. Then then the shredder over and put the blade carriers on and then turn it back over. That is the way I installed the stump jumpers a fifteen foot bat wing on after replacing the oil seals in the bottom of the gear boxes.

hurleyjd said:
Do you have a front in loader or a neighbor that will loan you one. Then then the shredder over and put the blade carriers on and then turn it back over. That is the way I installed the stump jumpers a fifteen foot bat wing on after replacing the oil seals in the bottom of the gear boxes.

I have tried to flip it with my FEL but It won't raise high enough to flip it. The tires on the Cutter just roll backward. That is why it is on jack stands and not flipped over.

sstterry said:
hurleyjd said:

I have tried to flip it with my FEL but It won't raise high enough to flip it. The tires on the Cutter just roll backward. That is why it is on jack stands and not flipped over.

I nailed two two by four boards to a two by twelve that was about thirty inches long and set the wheels on them to keep it from rolling. You might try removing the PTO shaft and lifting from the back where the wheels are. Maybe try from the side.

Two man job there, also scotch the rear tires to were it want roll. I would tie the two blades together so they don't flip around and remove a finger/hand or be very careful. Unless I am covered up in hay etc. next Saturday I will be just up the road from you if I make it to the auction at Brockland acres sale. I can come out there afternoon as the sale starts at 11a and should not last long. (a couple items 4-sale there I will make somebody pay for if I don't get, if I make it.) If you do need help let me know. Those will need about bench pressed and held until the nut is on. They are heavy as you know. Is there, on the splines, a certain way they go back as they will maybe have to be timed. If wife's brother is there I will bring him as he just went through the same thing with his Bush hog. He knows that area well as he at one time looked at a Charolais bull maybe your dad had 4-sale several years ago.

jltrent said:
Two man job there, also scotch the rear tires to were it want roll. I would tie the two blades together so they don't flip around and remove a finger/hand or be very careful. Unless I am covered up in hay etc. next Saturday I will be just up the road from you if I make it to the auction at Brockland acres sale. I can come out there afternoon as the sale starts at 11a and should not last long. (a couple items 4-sale there I will make somebody pay for if I don't get, if I make it.) If you do need help let me know. Those will need about bench pressed and held until the nut is on. They are heavy as you know. Is there, on the splines, a certain way they go back as they will maybe have to be timed. If wife's brother is there I will bring him as he just went through the same thing with his Bush hog. He knows that area well as he at one time looked at a Charolais bull maybe your dad had 4-sale several years ago.

Thanks John, I really appreciate it. But like I said, my son is coming to help. I may try to flip it over again with the FEL. That seems like the easiest and safest route.

Latest posts