Getting crispy

Help Support CattleToday:

First time in a couple weeks we have rain in the forecast....of course it is 5 days away. Have to see how that works for us this time. But if I am to get any real rain in September, it don't have much time to get it done.

cowgirl8":1umzjlud said:
How is everyones ponds. Thank goodness we went into June with full ponds.

Tanks are in fair shape for the end of summer.Thanks to Getting good and full early in the summer. Plus the work we did on them a few years back, when they went nearly dry is paying off.

plenty of water in the ponds for this time of year--especially considering it really has not had a ''runoff'' type rain since mid or early June

I remember in 2010, rain was short and we went into winter with low ponds.....and then it was 2011. We were the last to have water in our area and it was in one pond and we watered everything out of it with a pump and a tank. I went out twice a day and pumped a large trough full. Some cows refused to drink out of it and ventured through the mud to get a drink. We did dig out most of our ponds while dry and although we are in better shape, not every pond is convenient to house all the cows if we need to.
They keep saying we are going to be wet this winter....i dont want another 2011...

We have a lot of trees that the leaves are just dying and falling off, no colorful fall here I'm afraid. Just looks strange, have somebody taking their pictures this weekend so it's too bad for them.

It's came a few sprinkles at a time, over a long period of time, but I've had an inch and a tenth of rain. It's revived the fescue pretty good. It was getting too cool to help my warm seasons anyway. None the less, I've been able to quit feeding hay, so things are looking up.

It was drying up pretty fast and bad a week ago. Since last Tuesday night have had 4 inches saved me a lot of hay.

Our forecast is flat-lined for rain for the next 10 days. We've started feeding hay to one herd. Still have grass for the rest. Ponds are very low.
Whats going to happen is, we'll get caught up with rain all at once. I was watching the satellite on the national map and there is a low off to the west towards the pacific that is keeping cold fronts from moving through like they do normally. Nothing is going to happen until it moves. If it moves this way, we will get the rain and we'll get a lot of it......probably around Dec, Jan, with freezing temps if it moves far to the east.... So, get your generators cleaned up and food stored.

After a wet summer, we were getting dry by September, but then during the last week, we got 6 inches of rain in a day, 2 more inches in a couple of days, and a half inch yesterday.

Got a half inch sometimes during the night. Just not beginning to rain again. Coming down pretty hard. All is welcomed !!!

Just poured the gauge out again. Full and no idea how much ran out....total now at 9.5 inches and still raining. But it's sun up somewhere. ;-)

Latest posts