Getting crispy

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":1ga3odp9 said:
1982vett":1ga3odp9 said:
greybeard":1ga3odp9 said:
After almost giving up on the forecast--- (and an hour after heavily watering my purple hull peas) we got nearly 3/4" rain today.
Got a sprinkle but I did get to watch it rain across the fence for half an hour.
Darn 1982vett, I have been on here 6 years and I am not sure its rained on you in that time. :lol2:
You must have blinked. We got 16 inches in May. 3 - 4 showers the last several days and nights added 2/10ths to the 8/10ths we have accumulated the last 71 days. That's a WHOLE inch. Just a couple more inches and we will have an average rainfall year........ :?

Darn 1982vett, I have been on here 6 years and I am not sure its rained on you in that time. :lol2:[/quote]
You must have blinked. We got 16 inches in May. 3 - 4 showers the last several days and nights added 2/10ths to the 8/10ths we have accumulated the last 71 days. That's a WHOLE inch.[/quote]

Darn, you better start watching for gators.

Ran into a guy at supper tonight, don't live far from me. He got 2.3 inches today, I got nothing. You gotta love my luck.

Bigfoot":2k3s1rg6 said:
Ran into a guy at supper tonight, don't live far from me. He got 2.3 inches today, I got nothing. You gotta love my luck.
We got 7/10 yesterday and a few miles away over 2, got 1.1 today.

This is how the drought of 2011 started, dry summer, no fall rain in 2010... ponds already low, started feeding hay early.... I'm getting flashbacks of that horrible time. We've had enough rain to keep the grass green, but none to fill the ponds.

2011 we had 70 days with temps over 100. This year only about 13-14 days. 2011 pastures were gone by mid July.

TexasBred":11o8ci2z said:
2011 we had 70 days with temps over 100. This year only about 13-14 days. 2011 pastures were gone by mid July.
And lucky we had 32 inches of rain by the end of May this year.

1982vett":2fi4msrb said:
I was in Caldwell Fri night and Saturday for the kolache thing--it's way drier there than here at home, and oddly enough, just down the road in Somerville and Brenham, it's green all over.

greybeard":1lyswnly said:
1982vett":1lyswnly said:
I was in Caldwell Fri night and Saturday for the kolache thing--it's way drier there than here at home, and oddly enough, just down the road in Somerville and Brenham, it's green all over.

I think it's like that pretty often. I remember talking to a guy in Washington county that had bought some heifers from me in late summer of 2012. He said he was just about as dry then as he'd been in 2011. He's probably not much over 30 miles from me straight across country, and I was in good shape for all of 2012.

Yes it is pretty spotty. I rent a few acres about 3 miles straight away (5 by road). Have probably gotten a several inches there the past month. Still plenty dry but the grass is a little greener.

I was out checking the cows this morning. They acted like they were starving to death which tells me the grass they are on isn't enough. This is a couple pictures of the Kleingrass/Bermuda Grass they are on.

This is the Texas Tuff I planted some 10 years ago. Hasn't had anything on it since February. I cut it for hay at the end of April and fertilized it May 8. Between July 2 and today it has gotten 1 inch of rain.

I guess the difference between 2011 and this year....We have had twice as much rain and the pastures aren't eat down to the dirt. Oh and the cattle prices are higher.

Looks like my pastures vet....lots of grass but little more than filler. Have been supplementing some 38% cubes but am thinking about buying some liquid feed to see if it helps. Cattle still look good though. They just charge you when you head into the field. (In a friendly way)

TexasBred":2k7zlvcy said:
Looks like my pastures vet....lots of grass but little more than filler. Have been supplementing some 38% cubes but am thinking about buying some liquid feed to see if it helps. Cattle still look good though. They just charge you when you head into the field. (In a friendly way)

:lol: I had one I though was going to get in the truck with me this morning when I was easing through the pasture. Had to swat her on the neck to keep from getting slobbered on. I'm seeing the hot weather and poor grass affect weaning weights. Not liking that at all.....

1982vett":enyjvt7a said:
TexasBred":enyjvt7a said:

:lol: I had one I though was going to get in the truck with me this morning when I was easing through the pasture. Had to swat her on the neck to keep from getting slobbered on. I'm seeing the hot weather and poor grass affect weaning weights. Not liking that at all.....

They've been hammering the truck as soon as you pull in the pasture. I've had em on.tubs and dry grass. With a few pounds of cubes every couple of days. The past week or so they 've been making it very clear that they ain't happy. I finally gave in yesterday evening and pulled out two rolls of old Milo regrowth. They pretty much took the first one off the three point. Attacked it until I dropped it anyway. I was able to get the strings off the second one , barely. These bales weigh 1500 to 2000 pounds and by this morning, 12 hours later they were almost gone. Looked like a bunch of beached whales lying out there, round bellies and looking content.

I remember a few years back, when we burned up before June. It's not that bad but if we don't get good rains soon. There won't be any fall green up

I been rotating more this summer than ever, but it's getting hard to see much difference between the area they just left and the one they got turned into. I don't think it is 'just' the lack of rain in July/Aug. It wasn't this bad even back in 2011---grass was brown then, but at least it did grow some. I think all the really hard deluges we had back in April, May and early June may have washed all the nutrients either away or down deep in the soil. I don't know why, but this year is just 'different'.

Bigfoot":fows4jbn said:
After the grass growinest year I can ever remember, the spicket has been shut off. I unfortunately missed a rain in mid August, that some neighbors got. A 2 and a half inch rain btw. I set out 3 rolls of hay this morning, and it's pretty much gone. I think I'm gonna limit feed for a while, and see what the weather does.

Yep, same here. This KY weather is crazy. Dry hadn't crossed my mind in months, and now, here we are. Branches dried up, spring barely running. Hopefully, it will start raining soon.

I've drove from west to central ky, and most of it has been green as goose crap. I guess the pocket I'm in, is one of the worst. I've fed 40 rolls of hay.

I'm jealous. Had to go to Bastrop today. Other side of Lincoln was so pretty and green.......

I put a roll of Kleingrass out for mine Wednesday morning. They didn't act all that interested. It was gone this morning. Irritates me to have to put hay out or supplement with pastures knee deep in dried grass instead of green grass. If they we're eat to the ground it would be just a little different.

I got the itch to start on winter pastures the other day. Hooked up the disc harrow and made a couple of rounds to see what effect the little showers we got have had. Scratched up the top a little. Enough that I thought I'd get the fertilizer out and scratch it in so it would be ready to plant if we got rain. Decided to check the 10 day forecast........mowed the yard and started watering it. :x Zero to 10% chance 10 days and counting. Temp lows 68 and highs 95. No winter pasture is going to grow and survive that. Don't care to dry plant and watch it set their till the end of December before it gets a rain either. El Niño, my donkey.

I got the same itch and drilled about 15 acres. Glad I stopped there. Got 3/4 inch the next day. Every shower for the next week missed me . it s a total loss. I'm going to sit on the seed I have left as long as I can stand it.

Latest posts