Any tips to getting rid of yaupon?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Fire is not an option and even herbicide is a very touchy subject. It's growing thru a fenceline that delineates my property from US National forest and I'm really tired of cutting it back a few feet into The People's property. It is labor INTENSIVE!
I know it's a long shot but is there Something magical I could spray it with that won't harm pine, oak, or sweetgum trees?

I know I'm probably not supposed to spray any herbicide on The People's friggin plantlife but they The People won't come cut their crap off my fence or off my property and I'm tired of The People's lazy attitude.

Last edited:
DSC00711.JPG

There's a fence in there on the right, somewhere. All that yaupon grows out horizontally from the Nat Forest in search of sunlight.
DSC00713.JPG

The sign says "Property Boundary. US Govt (The People's) Property beyond this sign"
DSC00715.JPG

Remedy or garlon 4
Neither will affect it much, as the leaves, limbs and stems are waxy and shiny. It would have to be mixed with a petroleum or solvent of some kind for the plant to actually absorb the herbicide but the downside to that is that diesel just burns the leaves and they fall off before the herbicide has a chance to be absorbed.. This is not my first go round with Yaupon.

GB, I thought you despise trees. Are you mellowing with age?

Your photos look like they could have been taken on my place.

Have you considered mixing some isopropyl with the herbicide and doing a small test area? It'll evaporate real fast, but maybe "etch" the leaves enough for the herbicide to do it's thing.

None of the trees in those photos are on my property. Most are US Govt trees, tho the ones in the distant right side in photo#1 are on 17.5 privately owned acres that doesn't belong to me. The photo#2 shows all Govt trees on the right and 41.4 acres privately owned property on the left, past the gate opening. Used to belong to my sis but she sold it earlier this year.

Neither will affect it much, as the leaves, limbs and stems are waxy and shiny. It would have to be mixed with a petroleum or solvent of some kind for the plant to actually absorb the herbicide but the downside to that is that diesel just burns the leaves and they fall off before the herbicide has a chance to be absorbed.. This is not my first go round with Yaupon.
I totally agree. I left out the diesel part.

I kill youpon all the time spraying the bottom foot or two with remedy and diesel. I also kill it with Grazon Next and a good, heavy surfactant.

For a fence line like that I would just run down it with a some thing like Grazon that wont hurt the trees but will burn the youpon back and prevent any growth. You would have to still do it annually but but spraying is better than cutting by hand.

I always use Dawn dishwashing liquid for surfactant, works great and cheap

I always use Dawn dishwashing liquid for surfactant, works great and cheap
There is a big difference between a surfactant and a penetrant.
80/20 (and supposedly Dawn) mostly just spreads the herbicide mixture droplets out onto the leaves into a wider area. Diesel (or other solvent types) will penetrate thru the waxy shiny outer layer of the leaves and stems.

Does it work better on yaupon than 80/20? And how much do you use per gallon? I want to give it a try.
I use about a table spoon per gallon, but it's not a formula I just turn it upside down and squeeze some in..LOL.. Grey Beard is right on the diesel

Go easy on the dawn. It does not take much and too much can make pumps cavitate. It's usually not an issues with diaphragm pumps like the ones from tsc but it may effect your gear pumps or centrifugals.

A light squeeze in a 25g- 40g atv type sprayer is plenty.

I've had the science guys explain it to me multiple times and all I can understand/ remember is ............science, science, science.......... breaks the surface tension..............science, science, science..............😄

Last edited:

Latest posts