Getting back into colts

Help Support CattleToday:

cow pollinater

Reaction score
I guess I'm going to start training horses again. I've been looking for a started horse that was raised in the steep country so I called an 83 year old man going on 53 that has spent his entire life raising ranch horses. He had a started horse for me to look at so I made the drive today and came home with a trailer load of fillies instead. :lol:
I fell in love with a blue roan Hancock bred filly and her half sister and couldn't choose between the two. He really wanted them to go to a ranching home and our families have rubbed elbows for a few generations so he wanted me to take them both bad enough that he offered me a pretty significant discount on both of them. :D

TennesseeTuxedo":3h9q6ued said:
I hope you Can post some pictures in the near future CP.
My wife took some but I'm to dumb to figure out how to upload stuff and I'm also to dumb to figure out the good camera to take decent pictures. She posted them all over facebook and tagged me in it so they're easy to see if you're on facebook. My real world name is Caleb Pennebaker if you want to see them bad enough to look me up on facebook. ;-)

Good deal Caleb! I guess that you are still young and agile enough to deal with colts. I told friends at the sorting the other day, if I fall off just bury me there cause I will be BROKEN! My cutting mare is super quick and it takes every thing I got to stay with her. :lol:

Looking forward to some pictures in the future!

Bigfoot":3b090rea said:
Are you partially to fillies? I lean the other way.
Not really. I prefer a gelding but I've been on enough mares that were way to good to hold it against them. Me being the breeder that I am I like the option of being able to replicate the ones that I really like. I must not be alone in my thinking either as out of about thirty horses that I saw today there was not a gelding on the place. I was told that if he wasn't good enough to keep them then he wasn't good enough to keep. :lol:

cow pollinater":1d3ykiuy said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1d3ykiuy said:
I hope you Can post some pictures in the near future CP.
My wife took some but I'm to dumb to figure out how to upload stuff and I'm also to dumb to figure out the good camera to take decent pictures. She posted them all over facebook and tagged me in it so they're easy to see if you're on facebook. My real world name is Caleb Pennebaker if you want to see them bad enough to look me up on facebook. ;-)

I'll do that.

Good luck on your new adventure. Young colts always keep life exciting.

M5farm":1bzqxs6n said:
Nice fillys , I've had quite a bit of experience with Hancock line over the years. You'll like e'm.

I just got a Hancock gelding to try and make a head horse out of him. What can you tell me about them? Do you think it is a good line for a rodeo horse? Thanks for any advice you might have.

A.Lane":14lw8iu6 said:

M5farm":14lw8iu6 said:
Nice fillys , I've had quite a bit of experience with Hancock line over the years. You'll like e'm.

I just got a Hancock gelding to try and make a head horse out of him. What can you tell me about them? Do you think it is a good line for a rodeo horse? Thanks for any advice you might have.

what you have to take away from my advise a cow horse here is not the same as a cow horse out west. terrain is worlds apart. What I liked about the hancocks was they were a little more aggressive all around and had good cow sense but made the transition to other aspects better than some of the Zippos I've been on, the Zippos seemed to only want to work cows and had a bigger desire and ability to do it with less instruction. I have never been a rodeo roper so I cant tell you how they would do there but in the real world they are a gritty as the come when tied to a 2000lb bull. The stud pictured in my thread was that way. he would ride perfect for months at a time and then one day he would explode and flat refuse anyone to ride him. a few days later he would be fine. He had chronic joint arthritis that we had to treat in his later years. He was sold to a good friend and he kept him till last year when he got to where he couldn't get around anymore and he had him put down.
They are not for the average rider in my experience, they learn quick and have an excellent desire. :2cents:

M5farm":3uv167cq said:
A.Lane":3uv167cq said:

M5farm":3uv167cq said:

what you have to take away from my advise a cow horse here is not the same as a cow horse out west. terrain is worlds apart. What I liked about the hancocks was they were a little more aggressive all around and had good cow sense but made the transition to other aspects better than some of the Zippos I've been on, the Zippos seemed to only want to work cows and had a bigger desire and ability to do it with less instruction. I have never been a rodeo roper so I cant tell you how they would do there but in the real world they are a gritty as the come when tied to a 2000lb bull. The stud pictured in my thread was that way. he would ride perfect for months at a time and then one day he would explode and flat refuse anyone to ride him. a few days later he would be fine. He had chronic joint arthritis that we had to treat in his later years. He was sold to a good friend and he kept him till last year when he got to where he couldn't get around anymore and he had him put down.
They are not for the average rider in my experience, they learn quick and have an excellent desire. :2cents:
M5 nailed it pretty well. My old gelding is Hancock bred. He was a handful when he was young but at seventeen he still doesn't have a bottom end. He's not real cowey but he will put you right where you need to be and he'll hold an elephant on the end of a rope. He's one of the smartest horses I've been around.
A younger gelding that I had many years ago that was bred the same way had to be ridden hard at least an hour a day just to keep him tolerable but if you could keep him ridden he was a ranch horse supreme. I did sell him to a roper when I quit working as a cowboy and he won a lot of money on that horse and would rope both ends and calves as well. They got along well as that guy roped a few hours daily so the horse always had a job and he really enjoyed the pressure. That horse never ever bucked when he had a job to do but he would light you up at any time if all you were doing was travelling from point A to point B and that included at the end of the day on the way back to the trailer.

Bigfoot":1kbekrzi said:
IMHO a bunch of the foundation stock is late to season, and cold backed.
I've always had really good results with anything with a bunch of Poco Bueno in there. I've had five or six that went back at least twice and they were all really level headed. They're smart and won't take a heavy hand very well but if you let them think they will almost train themselves. Every one that I've had had quirks like undoing the rope and then just standing there waiting for you to come see how smart they are.
One of them had a guy that I worked with buffaloed. She was dog gentle but he smacked her one time and she pinned her ears and made a face and he backpedaled and climbed up the fence and after that it was game on... She'd let him get near her and then make a face and say BOO and watch him scramble while she stood there and worked her lips. If you were around her long enough you knew it was a joke and she treated it that way but that guy fell for it every time. She had plenty of oppertunity to get him if she meant it and she never did. You could tell she thought it was funny.

Thank you guys for the insight.

It sounds a lot like my gelding. He's not cold backed but we did have an "incident", after checking found out my saddle tree has a crack so I'm hoping that was the cause and not a habit. He seems to try to out think me and wants to do everything before I even ask which can get frustrating.

Thanks again

cow pollinater":2a9lpy2s said:
Bigfoot":2a9lpy2s said:
IMHO a bunch of the foundation stock is late to season, and cold backed.
I've always had really good results with anything with a bunch of Poco Bueno in there. I've had five or six that went back at least twice and they were all really level headed. They're smart and won't take a heavy hand very well but if you let them think they will almost train themselves. Every one that I've had had quirks like undoing the rope and then just standing there waiting for you to come see how smart they are.
One of them had a guy that I worked with buffaloed. She was dog gentle but he smacked her one time and she pinned her ears and made a face and he backpedaled and climbed up the fence and after that it was game on... She'd let him get near her and then make a face and say BOO and watch him scramble while she stood there and worked her lips. If you were around her long enough you knew it was a joke and she treated it that way but that guy fell for it every time. She had plenty of oppertunity to get him if she meant it and she never did. You could tell she thought it was funny.

:lol: :lol: They sure have their personalities don't they?

Latest posts