Back of thigh wound

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
Got it scratching his butt on a t-post. The wound is about the size of my hand. Vet couldn't close, or cover it due to the size and told me to spray it with Underwoods (which also requires putting baking powder on the wound) and keep him stalled, which I've been doing. It happended last Wednesday and still looks terrible. Anyone else ever had to treat a large wound in this manner? Whats the prognosis, or what should I be expecting.

We have treated several large wounds with underwoods and it works miracles. We did start cleaning it with water and sometimes peroxide. We would wash until all the old scab and baking powder came off then we would reapple we usually did this once to 2 times a day. We noticed that when we started cleaning the wounds they would heal a lot faster even though it says not to.

OK. I will say it again, and someone will contradict me again. Don't use peroxide unless it is being used to clean it initially. Use watered down iodine or, better yet, blue wash. Put it in a spray bottle and clean the wound at least once a day. Spray not as a mist, but as stream to help slough off dead flesh. Watch for infection of course (you already know this I'm sure). It will get to looking ugly before it gets better, so I am not surprised it looks awful yet. It is impossible to cover I am sure. It will be normal for it to weep and drain. I don't know anything about Underwoods. I advise against blue or red coat, but I am sure someone else will suggest it. At the first sign of infection, start your animal on antibiotics. Make sure the stall stays clean.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention that I am also giving him antibiotics and bute for 10 days. Yes I'm keeping the stall clean and sprayed for flies. He is already moving surprisingly better given how bad the wound looks. The baking powder part of the treatment is a bit puzzling. A doctor at the hospital where my wife works said it is used to absorb moisture, yet one of the vet technicians said be sure to keep the wound hydrated.

We used Underwood's on a very bad chest wound. Ripped, tore, really bad. Same deal, vet couldn't close it due to it bein a high movement area. We used the Underwood's, just like Mr. Underwood explained to us on the phone. Never washing it off. It took 3 mo total for it to close. He never limped or gimped the whole time. That Underwood's is amazing stuff. I won't ever be caught without it as long as I own horses!!!!

As for puttin the bakin soda on it. I went to the Dollar Store, and bought some of those cheap mustard and ketchup bottles....the squirt kind. One's yellow and one's red. They work great at "puffin" out the bakin soda onto the wound.

JL and Katie

id you have to make any trips back to the vet to trim off surrounding dead skin, or did it just eventually fall off?

Nope, never took him back to the vet at all. Lemme see if I can find pictures of the wound. I did have it on photo bucket.

Ok here's my horse when he was hurt, and I used the Underwoods Horse Medicine on him, As Directed.
Jasper 1-27-04
Jasper-Hurt-1-27-04-copy.jpg

Jasper 2-22-04
Jasper-2-22-04-copy.jpg

Jasper 3-13-04
jasper-hurt-3-13-04-copy.jpg

Jasper April 1, 2004
Jasper-and-Chester-copy.jpg

dcara":251hlm6k said:
JL and Katie

id you have to make any trips back to the vet to trim off surrounding dead skin, or did it just eventually fall off?
Had a bad injury on my mare. I did have the vet out because she needed many stiches, but when the flesh died it just eventually peeled off.

Wow. Thanks for the pics JL. The wound on my horse's butt looked about the same, but maybe only about 75% as big. At 2 weeks it is now starting to heal. The ability of horses to heal is pretty amazing.

jersey lilly":sedg0ze4 said:

Years ago my Dad horse found some wire in the back country _ she was cut like this from Shoulder to Shoulder...
He didn't have any vet supplies so he took a Leather Punch and a Rawhide Shoe string to sew her up and but some Sheep Dip on it _ Then he had to ride her all day _ as the rawhide dyed it help pull the wound closed

He had to ride her for 7 days _ All he used was Sheep Dip and Bacon Grease.

She's almost 30+ now and you can hardly find a scare

WOW! What a terrible injury, but you did a fantastic job getting it all healed up and it looks like your horse isn't worse for wear!
We had a yearling stallion this summer get his head under a fence and when he freaked and pulled back, it tore his jaw open from his ear down his jowl almost to his mouth. We've never had an injury that bad before! The vet was able to stick his entire hand in there and clean it out really well before putting in 17 stitches. He stitched from each end and when he had one stitch in the middle left, he put a bottle nozzle in there and flushed it out with an antibiotic solution. It never got infected and you could hardly tell he had a cut that large. I could see his tendons and his jaw bone when it was open. Too bad he died of a different accident but that's another story.

Latest posts