Thinking Back

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
Looking at CP new colts last night got me to thinking and I was looking for some of the Pics of the qtr Horses we had over the years and found the sale book when we dispersed the herd in 08'. I am still looking for some pics that I will post later while I travel down memory lane.

Doc olena Doc bar Smart peppy zippo pine bar

Liked what I saw. I think I woke up with 8 thumbs, and 2 big toes instead of fingers. I'll get on a PC today, and look closer.

What was the goal of your program?

quality Horse with a good pedigree that would serve the weekend cowboy or cowgirl as well as the cowboys that worked cows. as we progressed in it became a obsession with my uncle to produce something no one else had in our area and we started getting into roans but kept his first love of palominos also. He became so popular with the quality and the diversity of pedigrees that people came from all over to buy colts from him. It was a hobby. In my younger years I would green break the all of 2yr olds. I handled almost every colt within a day or two when it was born. I also rode the studs and as many mares as time would allow each week until I had a wreak on a stud one week and a wild mustang the next in 05 and got hurt pretty bad. I hung up my spurs and only did the ground work from then on.

This is the last one I owned. I bought her at the dispersal, I gave her to a young lady a few months ago that wanted her.

MISS LUCKY BOLT (SUGAR)

----------------------------------------------------ZIPPO PINE BAR
---------------------------ZIPPOS SMOKEY BEE
-----------------------------------------------------SMOKEY LIL BEE
ZIPPOS LUCKY BEE
-----------------------------------------------------SHU DOC TWIST
----------------------------TOKAYS SISSY SUE
-----------------------------------------------------SORREL LADY ROCK

-----------------------------------------------------BEATLES SUN
----------------------------WHIZZ BYRD
-----------------------------------------------------QUINCY THREE BITS
MISS WHIZZ BOLT
-----------------------------------------------------BET ON SUGAR
----------------------------SUGAR BOLT
-----------------------------------------------------VICKI IS LIGHTNING

M5 I am impressed! :tiphat: For some reason, I did not take you as being a "horse person."
Looks like you had some nice ones.

BCC I've been on them all my life. With the last 10 year's being the exception. I do not need them anymore so I don't have any . I do miss breaking them but can't afford to get hurt and I ain't as young as I used to be. Horses are a dime a dozen now and people here can't afford a good horse and all the want to do is trail ride.

Largely the crash of the slaughter market.

I routinely, and regularly sold more dollars worth of horses, than I did cattle up until about 2007. I also accomplished that task on ten acres of my 260.

I didn't fool with slaughter horses of course, but it gave you an out. You had a place to send old mares, and young stuff that wasn't going to break out like you wanted it to.

TennesseeTuxedo":12jsi6up said:
Didn't the government recently reopen the slaughter house network?

I dont think it was ever closed. I think they quit inspecting them thus shutting them down. I was following the saga closely, I lost all intrest in raising horses. Im too old, and the world is full of good broke horses. I'll buy one of them if I need one.

Bigfoot":2zfxg8q2 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2zfxg8q2 said:
Didn't the government recently reopen the slaughter house network?

I dont think it was ever closed. I think they quit inspecting them thus shutting them down. I was following the saga closely, I lost all intrest in raising horses. Im too old, and the world is full of good broke horses. I'll buy one of them if I need one.

BF, I'm 10 years older than you and I refuse to call myself "too old" for anything. C'mon man, you're still young. LOL!

I'm 43, and got a little hitch in my step. I ain't steppin up on no more young horses. If I don't work, we don't eat.

Bigfoot":1pyw04vz said:
I'm 43, and got a little hitch in my step. I ain't steppin up on no more young horses. If I don't work, we don't eat.
If I had a brain in my head I'd look at it like you do. I've had some nearly fatal wrecks with horses but that was a long time ago. BUT... I'm getting ready to get out of breeding cows in the near future and the last time I can remember being really happy was when I was training a few horses and punching cows. :D

M5, there's a lot of good stuff in there! I'd love to get a hold of that catalog and then get to see how every horse matched up to their genetics.

BF, I'm 10 years older than you and I refuse to call myself "too old" for anything. C'mon man, you're still young. LOL!
Hey I am older than both of you and still riding pretty hard. If I can bear the "day after" pain, so can you! I have pins and plates holding my neck together. I figure if I die doing what I love, so be it!:lol:

Latest posts