Got my mare back

Help Support CattleToday:

cow pollinater

Reaction score
I got my big dun mare back from the breeders yesterday.
My knowledge of genetics tells me that I have a really good shot at getting a right-sized foundation bred dun or buckskin colt with a really great mind that can go on to be an awesome ranch horse.
My knowledge of my luck with horses tells me that I'm going to get a yellow appy marked horse with a marble eye and blind in the other, roman nose, under bite, and a club foot with more probability of being a hermaphodite than male.

We let a vet student that is volunteering with the breeder ultrasound her and got a confident response that she's open. :D Two of her other "open" mares have yet to show heats after a few cycles.
We tracked a few cycles before she went and she was bred three times during her cycle with no return to estrus... She's bred.

We got our buckskin, but it wasnt easy after years of A.I.ing and 4 different mares(problem on the breeders side). And at 2 he had his jaw shattered and took years to heal...
I miss having baby horses.. I have 2 broodmares i'd love to sell...one bay roan and one blue. Not going to breed anyone anymore except i'm still looking for an Andalusian to breed to my foxtrotter, one day maybe, I'd love to have something out of her.

I'm going to get a yellow appy marked horse with a marble eye and blind in the other, roman nose, under bite, and a club foot with more probability of being a hermaphodite than male.
And would this be the genotype/phenotype of the stud horse? :lol: :lol:

branguscowgirl":23zvhctn said:
I'm going to get a yellow appy marked horse with a marble eye and blind in the other, roman nose, under bite, and a club foot with more probability of being a hermaphodite than male.
And would this be the genotype/phenotype of the stud horse? :lol: :lol:
If it has papers it has to be good.

Alan":3gp476wy said:
Sounds like things went well! Was it AI or live cover?
AI with the stud standing right there and doing the teasing... Personally I think I'd skip a few steps and let all three parties(third being the breeder) enjoy the experience a little more since both of the really active participants are right there next to each other, but what do I know?

I'm with you, why not just skip some steps and live cover? Plenty of protection for both the mare and stud these days. Good luck on the foal! I too miss foals, but the market is still a mess.

I don't care what the market does. This will be a ranch horse with a good mind. Mom is a grade mare that can climb the side of a cliff and doesn't have a bottom end. She quits being mad about a tenth of a second after you quit trying to get her to do something. You can get her all jazzed up working cows fresh and then plop a kid on her back and walk away. :D
The sire has a breeding halter and a working halter and will be a gentleman no matter what when the working halter goes on. I've had four horses bred pretty similar to him and they are the broke from day one kind.

I've got a zebra dun I think a lot of. I was practicing at friends house a few years ago. I had pulled my saddle letting him air a bit before I went home. One thing led to another, and there was 5 kids on his back. Oldest age 6. Youngest about 2. None were mine BTW. They were riding him in just a rope halter. They drifted to where they shouldn't be. A steer knocked a bright blue 55 gallon drum completely under his belly. He never flinched. I'd like to have another one like him. He turned 19 this spring. You wouldn't look at him guess anything close to that.

cowpollinator, do you have a pic of your mare? I would like to see her.
What color is the stallion?
Bigfoot, horses like yours are worth more than their weight in gold. My mare Chippie is a baby sitter too. 4-H kids who don't own a horse and don't know how to ride get to ride Chippie at the riding practices. She has given many beginners confidence. I bought her out of Kentucky when she was 15 months old and she is 11 now.
She is related to Alan's stallion. She is a good mare.
Here she is. We had a good rain that day.

2012.03.29_21-M.jpg

As chippie said, you can't put a $ value on thought kind of horse, a keeper.

Chippie are all your and my horses related? I also have a half brother and the dam of my stallion. :lol:

chippie":n7kv9gz9 said:
cowpollinator, do you have a pic of your mare? I would like to see her.
What color is the stallion?
I'll see if I can dig one up that shows her but I doubt if I have any as I don't take many pictures of the horses. She's nothing special to look at, just a big stout dun mare that looks like maybe some appendix blood up close but has a dorsal stripe and zebra legs. I'm told she's foundation bred but I wouldn't believe except for her color and ability.
The stallion is a dunskin. He's foundation bred and puts out a lot of buckskin and dun foals.

Latest posts