My donkey freaks out if he's not with the cows..normal?

Help Support CattleToday:

imq707s

Reaction score
I picked up a miniature jack donkey about 4 months ago. He's around 2 years old, and very friendly...and keeps a close eye on the two Scottish Highland cows I have. Actually, they chase him around most of the time...but overall, they get along pretty good.

The weather is getting down into the freezing temps....and the cows don't seem to mind it, and even though I have a small barn...the donkey will hang out with the cows out in the field even if it's in the snow and freezing rain. He's gotten a little chilled a few times and started to shiver. So now when I know it's going to start snowing or pouring down freezing rain and sleet, I will lock him up in the barn for the night to keep him dry. He absolutely hates being in there by himself....he will just pace back and forth in the pen all night long....working all of the hay right down to the dirt where he's been going back and forth. Is that normal for a donkey to do that? Is that because he's attached to the two cows?? I would think he would rather by in the dry barn that out in the cold with the cows, but I guess not. I feel bad seeing him in there pacing back and forth, but it's better than him getting too cold.

Any ideas?

He is what I call a weaver. If you put him a stall, he just weaves back and forth. It's like cribbing, or any other bad habit. If I had a horse doing it, it would be grounds for dismissal. I have had two that were bad about it during my life. I kept one hobbled, because he had enough redeMing qualities that i wanted keep him. I don't think I would worry about a donkey doing it.

He should be fine as ling as he can move around enough to stay warm. With a shelter he should be fine, they're pretty smart.

That's the problem. He'll say out in the snow until he's shivering....but he won't leave the cows to go in the barn. Maybe I need to get him a blanket.

M5farm":36dqapb1 said:
Leave him out, he will outlive you cause you can't kill the dang thangs

I agree, I have 4. They pretty much get free choice feed with urea in it. I doubt you could kill one of the things with an ax.

Bigfoot":8u3im5r4 said:
M5farm":8u3im5r4 said:
Leave him out, he will outlive you cause you can't kill the dang thangs

I agree, I have 4. They pretty much get free choice feed with urea in it. I doubt you could kill one of the things with an ax.
I got 4 with the 5th due any day. They are always in the way when I need to pen cows but other than that they are pretty cool.

Trouble is unlike horses/cows donkeys fur is not "waterproof". When they get wet their fur just becomes a cold wet blob sucking heat out of their bodies and it can/will lead to hypothermia and death.

If he won't go into a shelter then a good weatherproof blanket is about the best you can do.

Mine like to stick with the cows but when it gets cold and damp out they are smart enough to seek shelter. Then again the cows stick close to the shelter as well.

He is pacing (not weaving) because he misses his cows. Donkeys are herd animals and he is stressing out because he is alone.
If he has a shelter (like an open shed or a windbreak) where he can get out of the weather when he wants too, he should be fine.
I would put him back out with the cows or find him another donkey to keep him company.

ETA: when a horse weaves, it will stay in one place and sway side to side. I had a horse that would do it in the trailer if you didn't drive fast enough. A friend has an Arabian that will weave like that when stalled.

Latest posts