Getting a puppy. Any ideas?

Help Support CattleToday:

blackcowz

Reaction score
For a while now, I've been wanting a dog that can work cattle, stay home, and not start bouncing off the walls of there is a day that we have to skip doing something. My income would be about $25 a week that I could afford to spend on a puppy. Is that enough to use? That ain't all I have to use, but I really don't want my yearnings to get ahead of my earnings. Any ideas on what vet, food, ect costs? Any suggestions on a good breed of dog and where to get one? What should I spend? Should I train it? As you can see, I'm fairly clueless, but have plenty of time and energy. Thanks for ANY and ALL suggestions. :help:

blackcowz":2e2q3700 said:
For a while now, I've been wanting a dog that can work cattle, stay home, and not start bouncing off the walls of there is a day that we have to skip doing something.

The cattle dog folks could weigh in on this for ya, but ANY working dog needs daily exercise, some more than others. You will need to spend a lot of time making sure it gets this or it WILL be bouncing off the walls.

Should I train it? As you can see, I'm fairly clueless, but have plenty of time and energy.

Of course you will need to train it. Start with basic obedience training ALL dogs need this. Then work on the skills you want it to have with regards to it's job. Again the cattle dog folks can be more helpful with the skills training. You have time and energy, that is great, exactly what you will need. Good Luck!

blackcowz":3eykhgz8 said:
I'm getting the idea dogs gotta have exercise. Think I've got it now. :D

;-) Unwanted behavior happens when working dogs get free time. With a good kennel and yard fence its easier to teach them ballance. Just like cattle, good facilities go a long way.

On days when you work you take the dog out of the kennel and work then put them back in. On days where you are not working you turn them out for exercise and then put them back. IF you are training a dog your don't want them to know alot about that free time in the yard or pasture. Its like working with a colt and getting them right, then turning them out. Probably won't be right when you catch'em again. Same thing with dogs in yards.

peg4x4":1ttm7ce9 said:
Angus Cowman":1ttm7ce9 said:
Australian shepherd
Great Dog,but they gotta be busy.........
Peg i have had aussies or aussie crosses for yrs and all have been pretty laid back but one thing for sure you have to teach them at a young age who is boss as they have a very dominant pesonality and as for being busy after 1st yr mine are really laid back unless I am working but their intensity can go from 0 to 100 in about 1/2 sec

The more you keep the puppy with you,and talk with it,the better it will be.

Thanks, peg. I can se why dogs start to become more of a family member that is loved on rather than just a tool to help work cattle. I'm getting some new ideas here, so please, just keep typing away..... :compute:

It wouldn't hurt to get a book or two on puppy training and other things. One book I'm reading right now (and it is by far one of the best dog books I've put my paws on) is called "How to be Your Dog's Best Friend" written by the Monks of New Skete. They also wrote another book that I read from cover to cover and still remember their training methods to this day, is "The Art of Raising a Puppy". BY FAR, THE best dog books I've read. I know there's a LOT of dog books out there, but getting the best ones and reading them from cover to cover before you purchase a pup will help you like you wouldn't believe.

Try a broder collie we have one on are farm her name is maggie. She just got a boy friend a few days ago.His name Is max he is a germansherperd mix we got him from the pound. They are in love. :heart:

I don't know what they are like in the US but there is a New Zealand breed of dog called the Huntaway which was used for both sheep and cattle in NZ. They were bred to be able to run up the mountains and what not so they're quite big and if working they're quite muscular. My dad used to breed them and give them to farmers around town. They really liked them because they're brave, hard working and not too hyperactive. We never really had to train them, after a while they just seemed to 'get it'. But seriously I've never seen a dog as my dads old girl. I've seen her be chased by a 5 year old big black angus bull (and also chase it) and no matter what she kept doing it until she was called off. If you can get them, I advise you to. But it might be tricky in the US.

p15318pc.jpg

Latest posts