Get it X-ray'd or not

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook":ruqpaw8r said:
Good thing you don't have to worry about that as management now :cowboy: :lol:
I've been in management for about 20 years.......the farm still keeps me turning the nuts and bolts :mrgreen:

I don't think anyone would honestly advise against an Xray.. but here's my story.
15 years ago I was laying the haymakers to the snout of a cow that wouldn't get into the crowding pen, she turned her head and I changed my throw, and landed my hand on top of her eyebrow, broke the metacarpal of my pinky on my working hand. Finished the hoof trimming that day, then taped my finger to a pencil for a couple days, and took it easy for a bit. It reset, but I have a lump there, hasn't bothered me. Also broke a bone in my foot, have a lump there and it doesn't bother me, what does however is from when I stabbed a nail through it when I was about 8 years old.. only notice it if I *really* put a lot of pressure on my toes like when sprinting.
The only other broken bone I've had is the femur just above the knee.. Yeah, that one I did see the doc's for!

I always know when I broke something, I get sick to my stomach and break out in a sweat. If it just hurts and swells it never ends up being broke. Its odd but some of the ones that hurt and swelled the worst weren't the ones with broken bones.

Howdyjabo":19qo6fnl said:
I always know when I broke something, I get sick to my stomach and break out in a sweat. If it just hurts and swells it never ends up being broke. Its odd but some of the ones that hurt and swelled the worst weren't the ones with broken bones.
Same here. Guess it's shock.
My finger got chain sawed once, not in half lucky, but right away my stomach started getting all in knots, and broke out in a cold sweat.
That feeling is worse then the actual injury, and would thank the Lord if I never had to feel it again.

well...I have broken every finger I have except the left thumb and I near cut it off once....
have also broken about half of the metatarsals....
some of the fingers I just splinted myself...the metatarsals I have always gone to the doctor....it is only inconvenient for a little while.

my sons oldest boy recently broke his hand loading a hog....metatarsal....had to have surgery....has a plate and four screws now....

Howdyjabo":f3nmxr6b said:

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Ever since I broke my arm when I was 11 I've known it when I break something. I get the same feeling that HJ describes. I broke my wrist when I was 11 and a year later I sprained it. I did not get that sick feeling in my stomach. Had a few more breaks since then and knew without a doubt when something was broke.

It looks like the swelling already started to recede, but an urgent care x-ray is fairly cheap.
Biggest risk with a break is an infection that can become systemic, so it's best to know for sure, cause infection is not someplace you want to go. Other than that, I go with Jo's treatment and but about 600 mg of ibuprophen and acetaminophen every 6 hours for a few days, and alternate heat & ice. I know they don't really recommend heat anymore as a treatment, but it sure does make things feel better.

sim.-ang.king":tqd93w8e said:
Howdyjabo":tqd93w8e said:
Same here. Guess it's shock.
My finger got chain sawed once, not in half lucky, but right away my stomach started getting all in knots, and broke out in a cold sweat.
That feeling is worse then the actual injury, and would thank the Lord if I never had to feel it again.
Probably is shock. My brother, when about 14, was (at my mother's urging) trying to remove a 10/0 fish hook from a feral cat's jaw, and the sucker bit him hard in payment--I thought he was gonna throw up.

A few years later, I cut a big 2" long chunk of flesh out of my left index finger beheading a chicken in Vocational Ag class.(we had a poultry/rabbit processing room) I had the same feeling as soon as I realized I had cut all the way thru the chicken's neck and thru my finger--I bled almost as much as the chicken did.
I did not get that feeling when I got snake bit tho, just remember voicing to myself--"What a damn fool thing to have happen at my age". I DID get that sick feeling when I got the hospital bill tho.

Hope it's nothing serious :)

pdfangus, I believe the metatarsals are in the foot, the metacarpals are in the hand. I've broken one of each, I did get that twisted gut feeling when I broke the one in my hand, but I don't think I got it from my foot,.. Foot actually never hurt much, and it hurt worse if I limped, so I just walked normally.

Latest posts