George Strait

Help Support CattleToday:

mountainranch

Reaction score
I got to see George perfrorm in Knoxville Tn. friday night for the second time and wasn't disappointed. I've been a fan for over 25 years, and he just seems to get better. I know he's from Texas and wondered if any of you have ever met him. Despite all the wealth and fame, George strikes me as being a very humble ,polite man. He is one of the few performers I will pay to see. Ronnie Milsap opened for George ,and also gave a good show, well worth the price.

I saw him a few weeks ago in Boise, he was awesome! That was my first time, he had Taylor Swift and Ronnie both there and they are both great artists as well :D

mountainranch":2tlrvx1v said:
I got to see George perfrorm in Knoxville Tn. friday night for the second time and wasn't disappointed. I've been a fan for over 25 years, and he just seems to get better. I know he's from Texas and wondered if any of you have ever met him. Despite all the wealth and fame, George strikes me as being a very humble ,polite man. He is one of the few performers I will pay to see. Ronnie Milsap opened for George ,and also gave a good show, well worth the price.
from every thing i know of him he is very nice.i do know he rides cutting an roping horses.although ive never seen him in concert.

He is a true gentleman. I was fortunate enough to work with him for two days in a recording studio back in 1986.

It was definitely refreshing to meet an artist with effortless grace and humility.

He and Randy Travis are both in a class of their own.

Seen GS twice. Once in St. Louis with Kelly Coffey and Dierks Bentley. Then in Champaign with Miranda Lambert and Tracy Lawrence. Both great shows. Saw Ronnie Millsap many years ago in Danville. I remember him joking that he took up the piano 'cause it was easier to find than a guitar if he set it down and wandered around the stage talking to the audience.
Going to see Larry the Cable Guy in Champaign in April.

George lives just north of San Antonio, Texas. he is a very avid and active horseman, (ropper) He performs in many local rodeos unannounced. He has his own arena near his house. Also loves to hunt white tail deer, Has thousands of acres near Laredo, Texas. Just a good old boy from TEXAS. :lol:

ROCKSPRINGS":1f2vmq9m said:
George lives just north of San Antonio, Texas. he is a very avid and active horseman, (ropper) He performs in many local rodeos unannounced. He has his own arena near his house. Also loves to hunt white tail deer, Has thousands of acres near Laredo, Texas. Just a good old boy from TEXAS. :lol:
From where.......Texas you say? Now where is that? Is that on the outskirts of ALABAMA? ;-)

J. T.":2pr88ktk said:
ROCKSPRINGS":2pr88ktk said:
From where.......Texas you say? Now where is that? Is that on the outskirts of ALABAMA? ;-)

Used to be Texas, now it is northeastern Mexico. If you do not believe then get out and look at the population.

hurleyjd":3qik0z13 said:
J. T.":3qik0z13 said:
ROCKSPRINGS":3qik0z13 said:

Used to be Texas, now it is northeastern Mexico. If you do not believe then get out and look at the population.
Sad But True, Going to send some to Alabama :lol:

ROCKSPRINGS":2fe0iyjq said:
hurleyjd":2fe0iyjq said:
J. T.":2fe0iyjq said:
ROCKSPRINGS":2fe0iyjq said:

Sad But True, Going to send some to Alabama :lol:
Just got back from the local Wal Mart. Someboy's beat you to it, ROCKSPRINGS. Couldn't stir 'em with a stick.

I've met him and roped against him and all I've got to say is that if you go to a roping and he's there, save your horse. Just go over and hand him your money and go on back to the house.
He is very humble about walking up to the pay window.

Course the same could have been said about Walt Garrison not to long ago.Z

bigbull338":bbc7md33 said:
mountainranch":bbc7md33 said:
from every thing i know of him he is very nice.i do know he rides cutting an roping horses.although ive never seen him in concert.

I have seen him do team roping. I was also at a memorial service several years ago and he was there. It is rumored that he comes into the gas station at Egan from time to time, but I have never seem him there. I used to stop there several times a week just to see.

MillIronQH":6tjsxrv6 said:
I've met him and roped against him and all I've got to say is that if you go to a roping and he's there, save your horse. Just go over and hand him your money and go on back to the house.

I think I remember Walt Garrison bulldoggin' also... am I right?

Alice

Alice":hr9119ww said:
MillIronQH":hr9119ww said:

Alice
yes walt was a rodeo cowboy an bulldogger.

bigbull338":ywwgsf7c said:
Alice":ywwgsf7c said:
MillIronQH":ywwgsf7c said:

Alice
yes walt was a rodeo cowboy an bulldogger.

I thought so...he was at one of the Stephenville rodeos bulldoggin' when I was but a mere lass...well, maybe I was a little bit older...but you get my drift...

Alice

mountainranch":fa50eswh said:
I know he's from Texas and wondered if any of you have ever met him.

Before he hit the big time, he was a rod buster for Brown & Root Inc. The summer I graduated HS I went to work as a "rigger" (EDIT: apprentice at the time) signaling cranes. I knew him, but I didn't really know him. He was just another body getting the job done. There was also the hispanic guy who hit the big time with a couple of songs too but I cannot recall his name at the moment.

I've met George and his wife Norma on several occassions. His wife hosted a wedding shower/brunch for a friend of mine at the Dominion Country Club in San Antonio. Their daughter Jennifer babysat for me one summer at her grandmother's home. My daughter is the same age as their son, Bubba.

George and Norma both graduated from the same high school I graduated from although they are a few years older. They both come from ranching families. All are all very good people, down to earth, hard working country folks.

George is just a down to earth, good ole country boy. What you see is what you get.

backhoeboogie":2xitb4pk said:
mountainranch":2xitb4pk said:
I know he's from Texas and wondered if any of you have ever met him.

Before he hit the big time, he was a rod buster for Brown & Root Inc. The summer I graduated HS I went to work as a "rigger" (EDIT: apprentice at the time) signaling cranes. I knew him, but I didn't really know him. He was just another body getting the job done. There was also the hispanic guy who hit the big time with a couple of songs too but I cannot recall his name at the moment.
are you trying to think of freddy fender by any chance.

bigbull338":1pu0v1mx said:
are you trying to think of freddy fender by any chance.

No it wasn't Freddy. I was trying to recall that guy's name and it just slips by. Definately a hispanic surname and several generation Texas family. He had written some songs that made the charts then finally had a few he wrote and sung himself hit the charts. I knew him a bit better than Strait, but it has been years and years. He was kind of nutty and weighed a bit too much. He's probably somewhere around 60 years old now if he is still living.

Latest posts