Genetic Testing

Help Support CattleToday:

tamarack

Reaction score
I just had 10 of my purebred shorthorn beef bulls genetic tested there appears to be a lot of information with this test I haven't got the results back on the epd for them but I think with the gene test and epd you can pick out any traits you would like. The RFI (residual feed intake) looks like an important one that gives you lb of gain per lb fed. The shorthorn association is paying for most of the testing and I pay $10 per bull they want 250 bulls tested per year to get more info,the more results the better. It will cover a lot of the purebred shorthorn bulls in Canada. Any of the other associations doing something similar?

Sounds like the Shorthorn association is building a database from which to develop a Shorthorn DNA test. Seems to me that the Angus folks were the first to offer one, and since then several other breed associations (Simmental, Red Angus, Hereford, etc.) offer them as well.

You may want to check with the association, because if they are in the early stages of development you may not get any information back on your bulls for quite some time.

Red Bull,

If I remember correctly, the Curly Calf defect was recognized in the late summer of 2008 and a test was developed by the Un. of Illinois for the abnormality a few months later.

The first Angus profile for creating genomic-enhanced EPDs was released by the Angus association in the fall of 2009.

Red Bull Breeder,

I know back in 2007 we were DNA testing all of our calves for parentage, we were using a company called MMI Genomics. Now we go through AGI which is a subsidiary of the Angus Association. In 2010 I got ticked off about the testing long story, so now we just parentage test the ET calves. We have started using the 50K test on our herd bulls and are discussing using it on all the bulls we market. I would love to 50K test every animal in the herd but we just plain can't afford to do that. I do get DNA samples on every calf at weaning so I have them on file.

gizmom

We have been used MMI early on for parentage and color and horned status. We have been able to the dna enhanced epd's for a few years now. The limflex and black purebred breeders had to do some for the Curly Calf and other genetic disorders because of the angus influence. I don't know who the Limousin Ass use's now. I don't like the way it works with the NALF so only test the one I want to with the lab of my choice.

UG":3x0hcgnm said:
Sounds like the Shorthorn association is building a database from which to develop a Shorthorn DNA test. Seems to me that the Angus folks were the first to offer one, and since then several other breed associations (Simmental, Red Angus, Hereford, etc.) offer them as well.

You may want to check with the association, because if they are in the early stages of development you may not get any information back on your bulls for quite some time.
I submitted the dna in Dec and received the test results on Jan 16. These are genetic tests for ADG, RFI, Tenderness ,marbling ,yield grade , stayabilty,calving ease, docility. The tests for TH ,parentage, ect are mandatory before you can get the animals registered.

That is interesting Tamarack. How is the data reported (i.e. 1 to 10 score, genomic-enhanced EPD)?

This is a real touchy matter on Genetic Testing here are a list of question or issues that need to be better addresses for all of us

Which company does what and which companies are better in which tests
Did the breed association come up with the original markers to compare
Did the original markers come from some herds that claimed to lead the breed in certain areas
Were low performing markers added to the original markers and where did they come from which herd or where

No question Dairy industry can achieve this but real questions with the beef business where large seed stock
vs smaller breeders issue of out cross genetics not compared at all

Had a local dairyman sell out over genetic testing. After the tested their dairy cattle they had a dispersal sale and could not give them away. Before they were known as one of the top dairy's around selling embryos even showing and selling breeding stock to several states and some embryo even going to overseas.
After that one genetic testing they never thought anything as there cattle were top producers etc.
that one genetic test killed there operation over 30 years of cattle breeding.

My question this beef genetic testing is no friend to the small breeder unless they are using genetics from herds where top markers were originated.

That my option on t.his waiting for someone to prove me wrong

Latest posts