Coloration genetic question for you knowledgeable folk!

Help Support CattleToday:

southalberta

Reaction score
Okay. Long ish story.
Amazing little bull tiger striped is an F1 longhorn x Corriente.

mother and entire family line has all been homo black regardless of what bred to since 2003 (Corriente)

father entire family line solid red or Parker brown (except 1) since 1992. again regardless of what bred to.
Added note: bulls mother is solid black (my exception above always has solid red calves

(have had family lines all females both ends since dates mentioned)

Question being what is the brindle as he is F1 can he be "double homozygous red and black" to throw brindles?

Have read lots on it most past my knowledge. If he will 75% + likely throw brindle he's getting his own herd to make a brindle line.

second part of question is his herd to be red black or what coloration?

will get pictures of parents and bull soon

Really didn't follow that - but - if it is red - it is homozygous red. Red needs two genes to be expressed as the color red.
I do not know if the wild-type color gene is dominant or recessive. Here is an explanation I read:
"The wild-type allele allows for the production of both red and black pigment. Many Simbrah and most Brahman have the wild type and also Brown Swiss, Tarantaise, and Jersey. A brindle also has a wild type allele. Many red breeds carry the brindle gene but it is not expressed unless the animal has a wild-type allele. Most European (fullblood) Simmentals do not carry the brindle gene. Red breeds like Hereford, Red Angus and some red Simmentals may also carry the brindle gene but it is not expressed unless combined with a wild-type. Some Red Angus and Red Simmentals have one copy of the wild-type Extension. They often have a black nose."

S> You indicated sires were solid red. Purebred Red Angus or ?. Purebred Red Angus have recessive genes for color which means their calves
will tend to be marked like the cow. I am working with Red Angus over Corriente (spotted) and have bred up to 7/8th red spotted calves.
That is 7/8 pure red angus. In the interim I have had solid black, solid red, red & white (spotted) and black and white (spotted) this at the
3/4 level. Once I get to the 7/8th level red seems to be dominant. I do not intend on retaining any bull calves until the 15/16th level.
I am thinking if you keep any bulls at the 3/4 (75%) level you will wind up with "Rainbow Coalition" not only in color but also conformation
and disposition... Back to the sires...I am not sure of the red dominance in Salers, Red Poll , Shorthorn or ?? so that would also have some
bearing in the coloring. A red dominant may tend to throw a brindle calf. Time is against me so I may run out of LVR before I can get to
a herd of purebred spotted Angus. Should'nt cost me more than 25 cents a pound at the auction!!! Good Luck,,,

S> You indicated sires were solid red. Purebred Red Angus or ?. Purebred Red Angus have recessive genes for color which means their calves
will tend to be marked like the cow. I am working with Red Angus over Corriente (spotted) and have bred up to 7/8th red spotted calves.
That is 7/8 pure red angus. In the interim I have had solid black, solid red, red & white (spotted) and black and white (spotted) this at the
3/4 level. Once I get to the 7/8th level red seems to be dominant. I do not intend on retaining any bull calves until the 15/16th level.
I am thinking if you keep any bulls at the 3/4 (75%) level you will wind up with "Rainbow Coalition" not only in color but also conformation
and disposition... Back to the sires...I am not sure of the red dominance in Salers, Red Poll , Shorthorn or ?? so that would also have some
bearing in the coloring. A red dominant may tend to throw a brindle calf. Time is against me so I may run out of LVR before I can get to
a herd of purebred spotted Angus. Should'nt cost me more than 25 cents a pound at the auction!!! Good Luck,,,
Longhorn over Corriente.
My longhorn / beef hybrids are on hold for a year. Have not been able to get a consistent calf crop in regards to legs and hips.

Latest posts