Genetic Testing---Pfizer/Zoetis vs. Igenity

Help Support CattleToday:

dn91

Reaction score
I have read previous discussions on which one is better and if they actually work but that was a few years ago so I'm wondering if more people have tried it and what their thoughts are. I've been wanting to test our replacement heifers every year but there doesn't seen to be a whole lot of research/opinions on it to see if they actually work or not. Our Zoetis guy called yesterday and is wanting us to try it out, so I'm curious as to what everyone's thoughts are.

Ive used Zoetis through AGI for a few flush cows and some to be sold. It will fill in the missing numbers, or take the I off in Angus so there true numbers, it will put the numbers for carcass so you have it all and can manage for whatever your breeding for.
I asked my rep if i test this cow and AI to a tested bull the calf should be exact and not need a test, but not the case so it is just a tool to help in management decisions. In my opinion.

We have used Igenity a few times. The results are extremely clear, and we will continue testing our cattle with them.

From looking at genetic testing and who has what test available, we feel that Igenity / Neogen / Geneseek seem to have more of a broad range of tests available.

On the dairy side they have a Basic Crossbred test which has about 15 or so traits. We have had an interest in A2 testing as well which they offer.

On the beef side of things, they have a few different tests that are available. We have been looking at a few traits that have some interest and would appear to have some impact on weaning weights, growth and marbeling. We have been working with Ingenity marketing Rep to try and put a test together that would be of the greatest benefit to producers and could also be able to test the milk for Kappa Casein, Beta Casein, Beta Lactoglobulin. A2 is an add on test and Leptin is already tested and is part of the marbeling score, but it can be requested to be displayed individually as well.

What does all of this mean. Leptin has to do with calves being able to grow better with heavier weaning weights and it also has to do with feed efficiency as cattle that have a higher level of Leptin can finish in a feedlot as much as 30 days earlier. With the other milk traits of Kappa Casein, Beta Casein and Beta Lactoglobulin, all of these have to deal with butterfat and protein in the milk which can also have an influence on the growth of calves.

A2 is something that has been researched primarily in New Zealand. A2A2 milk is a healthier milk, you have heard of people who are lactose intolerant. Many of these people can drink goat milk and hive no issues. Goat milk is an A2aA2 milk. All milk has lactose. The other milk is called A1A1 milk and from research has been linked and associated with some diseases such as type 1 diabetes, autism, heart disease and others. There has been quite a bit of research on this as far as humans go.

While there has been very little research in regard to the A2 in beef production, there are many that have the opinion that if A2 milk is healthier for us as humans, would the same not also be true for calves?

It seems that all animal at one time were A2A2. It is not known when but there was a mutation that happened that cause the A1 gene to happen. So now we have cows that are A1A1, A1A2 and A2A2. There is no way to visually tell if a cow has A1 or A2 type of milk.

As I said, we are looking at what we can put together and also offer these other test and be able to do so at a reasonable cost. Some traits are breed specific while other traits are found in all animal and yet other traits have been documented.

Where our registries are not breed specific and with a great number of producers having crossbred animals, this situation has to be reviewed so that the test that will be available would work for any possible breed composition.

With the accuracy a validity of genomic test continually improving, as we build up a database with all of the information, a comment was made that at some time in the future Estimated EPDs could be calculated for offspring of genomic tested animals. Time will tell.

Other recent developments with the Composite Registries is that we have been contacted by groups in Europe about wanting to become an affiliate with us to provide registration and performance testing to crossbred animals in their countries. One European Country is ready to go and we are working to translate our forms into their language. They were primarily interested in the Composite Dairy Cattle Registry, but when we told them of our beef registry, they wanted to offer it as well. It is really surprising to discover how other groups and breeds want to discourage crossbreeding.

With Igenity / Geneseek having offices and locations in Europe, South America and other places will be able to work with us and producers in these other countries to provide genomic testing for them as well.

This has become another consideration with us as what tests to put together. If we can build a test that can be used not only here in the US but would work for other countries as well, this should help in being able to offer a test at a better value.

I know that in conversations, there are some genomic traits that some producers have apprehension towards, and this is certainly understandable. With that said, if we have to offer a test that includes some of these traits bundled with it in order to keep the price down, then producers will have to ignore those traits. When ordering a test with us, we would then be able to tailor the report(s) that we provide back to producers on those traits they are seeking.

Both our Dairy and Beef Reps with Igenity will be working together to list the primary test and the add-ons and pricing for those test and possible bundled discounts. As soon as we can receive the pricing information we will post it.

We just ran several bulls through a variety of tests at Igenity to get the specific markers for our cattle for beta casein (A vs B, and A1 vs A2), kappa casein, beta lactoglobulin, leptin, etc.

We're waiting on the results.

Depending on what we see, we will be running more DNA through the system in the next few weeks.