genetic disorder question

Help Support CattleToday:

JDI

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of a genetic disorder passed on by a bull that causes the cow to dialate but not go into labor for up to 3 weeks. Then cause the calf to be 100-150lbs at birth due to the lenghtened gestation time.
I sold a man a bull & his first calves, he says, he has had a problem with the bull carrying a gene that will cause this. I have never heard of a bull effecting the lenght of a cows gestation. Now I know a bull will effect the BW of a calf but have never heard of this. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this???

It's a 50/50 deal, it takes 2 to Tango.

Bulls can add birthweight simply through gestation, just like the real light calvers take away gestation.

JDI":2iyof19a said:
Has anyone ever heard of a genetic disorder passed on by a bull that causes the cow to dialate but not go into labor for up to 3 weeks. Then cause the calf to be 100-150lbs at birth due to the lenghtened gestation time.
I sold a man a bull & his first calves, he says, he has had a problem with the bull carrying a gene that will cause this. I have never heard of a bull effecting the lenght of a cows gestation. Now I know a bull will effect the BW of a calf but have never heard of this. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this???
sounds like a load of crap too me. what kind of bull on what kind of cows

The calf initiates the birth process. So yes, it could be a gene that the bull is passing to the calves to where they are going longer than normal gestation, in turn, a very large calf.

The following is a a paragraph from the ABS AI Management Manual.

Through a series of Successive interdependent events, the calf initiates the complex birth process. First, the cervix relaxes under the influence of hormones. Then the uterus contracts, forcing the fetal fluids within the fetal membranes to open the cervix. As the fluid-filled fetal membranes, followed by the calf itself, enter and stretch the vagina, contractions of the abdominal wall and diaphragm muscles along with continued uterine contractions rupture the fetal membranes. Fetal fluids are discharged. The calf is forced through the remainder of the birth canal by abdominal contractions.

I'm sure the guy isn't making it up, he probably has had the bull tested. You said that he bought the bull from you, so, he can do anything he wants with it.

If I was you, I would be testing the dam and sire of the bull, if you still have them, to see where the genetic problem is coming from, before people that have bought other bulls and heifer's from you start having major problems.

If I was you, I would be testing the dam and sire of the bull, if you still have them, to see where the genetic problem is coming from, before people that have bought other bulls and heifer's from you start having major problems.

That is my main concern!!!! The sire has produced close to 50 calves & I have seen 0 problems from his cows or his bulls over a 4 year period. I am not the only one using this bull.
Now the dam, this was her first calf. What bothers me is he has no test proof that this is the problem. DNA test ect. I don't know the cows or heifers he bred this bull to (bone structure,pelvic size,ect...)He is going by something he heard in a conversation with some people he can't even remember their name or exactly when.
Just looking for information that might help clarify IF there is a problem or not.

Well how many of these huge calves did this guy have? Was it a large number or just a couple?

I assume if he is saying that it's something that the bull passed on in genetics, that he has never had problems with his cattle having calves. So he must have traced it back to the bull being the problem.

If this bull was the first calf, that cow would be where I would start looking.

From what he is telling me. He bred the bull to 2-3rd calf cows & heifers. the heifers have only had 1 problem while 50% of the cows have had a problem. I'm not sure of the exact count of cows or heifers that were bred.
He has semen from the bull & I have asked that he save for me which I intend to purchase & I will breed 2-3 of my older cows that have had 100lb.+ calves to see if they have an extended gestation period or any such problems..
As far as him buying the bull from me & doing anything he wants to with it...YES he can bred elephants with it if he wants too!!
I'm just concerned if there may be a problem or not & if I have to breed a couple of my cows to this bull to prove to myself that there is a problem or not I will sacrifice my cows instead of someone else's

Oh, forgot to add...some of the cows were new cows he had purchased & he has no background on their calving history!!

I know this rancher and his cattle are large frame and he hasn't ever had calving problems like this before. I think the main thing with the calves is that they are getting hip locked. So maybe the bull was just producing some really wide and big hipped calves. I know that the one that my husband helped deliver this past weekend, when they were there, was a big bull calf that was hip locked. I know that he said he had lost about half the calves out of this bull.

He isn't having any problems in his other pastures with his other bulls, so, I'm sure it is something to do with this bull. Either he is(now was) producing huge calves or there is something in his genetics. It's good though that you want to get some of his semen to use on some of your cattle to try and find out if it is something genetic.

He had a dna test done, because he collected semen. But, this is just a chance that you take with using a bull that is not proven. You just really don't know what your going to get until the calves start dropping or in this case trying to drop :p .

Sorry JDI, had to put that little pun in there.

mom

sound's like to me that the man might have been off on the calving date. and the bull's birthweights backfired on these large frame cattle. what would be the chances of this man having two bulls with this defect in his lifetime? just seems real slim.

The other bull was not his. Someone was just telling him about this genetic thing, in a conversation at a sale a few yrs. back & he associated it to this problem. I'm inclined to believe this bull just throws large calves & he pasture bred them to him. He is just going by the date he put the bull in pasture & took him out as a due date unless he actually saw the bull cover the cow.
I will get the semen from him & AI a few of my cows to see for myself. If I AI them I WILL have a due date for the cows. This should answer the 3 week dialiation think in doubt.

Latest posts