Gelbvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

My herf x gv crosses were a little lighter than the purebred steers, but not by much. The Hereford dams were also quite young too ,so had I kept them I imagine they would have weened heavier calves later on. They sure made some really nice calves though.

This was a heifer I retained for my commercial herd, sorry not a great pic . I ended up selling her as a bred heifer to another fella in 2008. I think she is still in production .

IMGP1048.jpg

I have had a Gelbvieh bull for years, love him. He does good with my English/Santa Gert/Beefmaster mommas

The set of bulls we just changed out were Gelbvieh. They were gentle and easy to handle never wanted to leave home. Their daughters has improved milk and utters. Their heads is the only thing I do not like. Did have some calving problems. I cannot blame the bulls on all. Planning on Gelbvieh for the next set of bulls. They like the cooler weather better than hot. Their feet were good and held up in rocks and hills. We kept them for 5 years and had no broke legs, feet or seman problems.
Cannot say that about the set of bull whe have now.

i bread a reg. herford bull to some of my comm.balancer cows(50% angus/50% gelbvieh) and i'm happy with the out come.
1 black/white face bull hit the grownd @ 78 pounds and now 410# at 4 months
2 red/white face heifers are at 340#-360# at 4 months
mamma cows were all black

Marketed my bwf steers this week. They averaged 570# for $151 towards the end of the sale. Sold well but did not top the market.
I think a black GV would cross well on my mixed cow herd - - resulting in either a 2 way or a 3 way calf.
Are there "calving ease" GV bulls or is that unrealistic?

Stocker Steve":1wprpp80 said:
Marketed my bwf steers this week. They averaged 570# for $151 towards the end of the sale. Sold well but did not top the market.
I think a black GV would cross well on my mixed cow herd - - resulting in either a 2 way or a 3 way calf.

Sure there are. You just gotta look in the right place. However just like any other breed you're better off looking for something that's pretty well balanced......and remember the bull is only 1/2 of the deal.

Steve what is your definition of a calving ease bull, is it BW or is it the EPD's. Do you have a certain weight you won't go over, just wondering i have gelbvieh bulls and would consider them calving ease.

Stocker Steve":2h52d7hu said:

i used this guy a couple years ago,no trouble at all with him,i kept back 1 daughter also who will be calving in feb

http://www.bullbarn.com/gelbepd.asp?ID=274

cowwrangler":1n4fzynj said:
Stocker Steve":1n4fzynj said:

i used this guy a couple years ago,no trouble at all with him,i kept back 1 daughter also who will be calving in feb

http://www.bullbarn.com/gelbepd.asp?ID=274

This bull is a prime example of what I meant about balance. He has calving ease and ribeye and virtually nothing else.
Steve if you start looking at bulls look to Double V he has years of experience with his bloodlines and knows what to expect. As far as semen call me and I would be happy to walk you thru some good candidates.

Nice bull. I plan to sell the 3 bulls I have now, buy one back, and do moew AI in 2012.
The only sleeve service in my area is Genex, so I need to work on plan B for a wider selection of bulls.

Stocker Steve. I know several AI technicians who sell semen for a major AI bull stud. I believe that all of the ones that I know will breed cows using semen from other sources, and may even store the semen from the other sources in their semen tank if you don't have one. I would encourage you to ask your Genex rep about this.

I have got a herd of angus and brangus cross herd. What would be some good blood lines to look for to go on a commercial herd?

circlew,

If carcass traits are important to you, I would encourage you to check out the Carolina Fortune cattle. Fortune semen is available from ABS, and he has been one of the heaviest used AI Gelbvieh bulls the past several years so sons and grandsons should be relatively easy to find. The Fortune cattle generally handle fescue well, which is another benefit, and the daughters are fertile and stay in the herd for many years.

If you're more interested in pounds at weaning, you may want to consider Bennett Ideal or Bennett Landmark. Both bulls sire calves with good growth and still produce better than average carcass cattle. However, I haven't had good luck keeping the Ideal daughters in production for many years. Seems that most of them fail to breed back on time.

A bull that intrigues me is called Bruce Almighty. His sons have performed well at Midland Bull Test in MT, in both rate of gain and feed efficiency.

Finally I would encourage you to take a look at KHR 47R. I saw several sons of 47R last spring and they were very thick bulls with plenty of capacity. I hear that his first daughters have nice teats and udders as well. Semen on this bull is available from Ronald Rogers in Missouri.

If you are leaning to the brangus cow herd. i would suggest maybe checking into using a simmental bull my granda for the longest time used gelbvieh bulls on his cows and always had pretty decent calves but since he switched to a simmy bull he has seen his Weaning and yearling weights go up greatly and he has kept a few heifers and they have been great mamas/calf raisers.

Simmental7":vmcs5k3z said:
If you are leaning to the brangus cow herd. i would suggest maybe checking into using a simmental bull my granda for the longest time used gelbvieh bulls on his cows and always had pretty decent calves but since he switched to a simmy bull he has seen his Weaning and yearling weights go up greatly and he has kept a few heifers and they have been great mamas/calf raisers.

Another fine example of hijacking and breed pimping. :shock:

Red Bull Breeder":d75f67ir said:
Give the kid a break 3way. Kid is a newbie and don't no the rules yet. :lol:

Yer right Randy. I forgot he's a kid. I hope he noticed that I didn't say one unkind word about his Sims. In fact I think they are fine cattle, and if he wants to promote them shamelessly he should go to the Breeds board and start a thread solely for that purpose.

However the NAME of this thread is Gelbvieh..............NOT..........Knock Gelbvieh and pimp Sims.

Don't worry tho he will find a Limo thread and get around to you sooner or later.

Latest posts