Gelbvieh Red angus cross

Help Support CattleToday:

shaz

Reaction score
Have a chance to get some heifers that are Red Angus Gelbvieh cross. They're from one of the locals who has a closed operation and they're 500-650lbs.

1:) Stockers?
2:) If the market tanks by spring my options are breed them or freezer beef.
If I breed them what would be a good cross?

I wanted to buy some stockers but was leary of the salebarn + nobody seems to have a health protocol.
Opinions?

If they were mine I would breed them to a herf bull . Easy fleshing, nice marbling and well muscled high ween weight .

Breed them back to a calving ease Red Angus bull. Most importantly get a live calf, but when you sell them, they will look nearly like a purebred Red Angus, and that would be easily marketed.

i would think they would make great mama cows, i think this beef market is gonna move higher not lower here so i would not be afraid to breed them i just cant see things tankihen wrong between now and spring. jmo use whatever english bull you prefer,

I would go for the Angus or Gelbvieh bull, even another Angus/Gelbvieh bull would work well.
Do you already have a bull? What kind of bulls will be cheep and easy to get your hands on? How many cows did you pick up? (buying vs renting)
When I have searched for Gelbvieh replacements it seems hard to find them outside of the midwest. Does your contact have a large herd?

Red Angus Gelbvieh makes a great cross, it seems like the Hereford Gelbvieh cross is in the same category. The advantage of the latter is more heterosis in the offspring from using Red Angus bulls and the F1 Hereford Gelbvieh cows.

If you go the breed em route and are wanting to retain the female offspring, I'd either breed em back to Gelbvieh or red Angus. If you plan to mkt all their offspring a 3rd breed is a no brainer. If your mkt is tolerant to a little ear, a brangus or gert would be great at gettin a little Bos blood in the mix to maximize the vigor. A 3/16ths (brimmer) calf will grow like a weed.

I think I would breed to Red Angus for first calf and then terminal for the salebarn

wtrapp":3r9migi0 said:
I think I would breed to Red Angus for first calf and then terminal for the salebarn
By "terminal", are you suggesting a breed or a type?

i will know more about my red poll bull next spring when i see his calves, and i can say this about him. i have owned cattle since 1979, and i have never owned a bull that was more docile than him.

Grass-Fed":1enwop66 said:
I would go for the Angus or Gelbvieh bull, even another Angus/Gelbvieh bull would work well.
Do you already have a bull? What kind of bulls will be cheep and easy to get your hands on? How many cows did you pick up? (buying vs renting)
When I have searched for Gelbvieh replacements it seems hard to find them outside of the midwest. Does your contact have a large herd?

I can easily get Black Angus not Red. I can also get polled Hereford bulls. The selection here ain't great.
I just returned my rented Angus bull so I have no bull at the moment.

I'm going to look at them Saturday. He sells about 40 5wt heifers every year. He's going to the salebarn Tues with everyone that I don't buy.
I'm only going to buy a few. This is nothing but an experiment.

Glad your going to a sale. You will be surprised at the quality of cattle goin through the ring. I think your experience will put an end to the salebarn phobia you contracted.

shaz":187oeiwr said:
Grass-Fed":187oeiwr said:

I can easily get Black Angus not Red. I can also get polled Hereford bulls. The selection here ain't great.
I just returned my rented Angus bull so I have no bull at the moment.

I'm going to look at them Saturday. He sells about 40 5wt heifers every year. He's going to the salebarn Tues with everyone that I don't buy.
I'm only going to buy a few. This is nothing but an experiment.

Their are several Red Angus breeders within your state.

my thoughts i know there red angus cross but are they out of red gev or black meaning are the heifers black or red. if black in area if u would go with a polled hereford bull and get the baldies they sale just a bit better and if there red i would prob go black angus or gev

Latest posts