Gelbvieh cows are more efficient.

Help Support CattleToday:

Forgot...one bull was out of SLC Freedom, and the other out of Davidson's Superman. I bought them both as yearlings from Diane Panrucker. BW's were 82 and 88 respectively. If I remember right, they were both right around 1250lbs as yearlings.

Although i am a gelbvieh breeder, i realize not every bull pans out and not every breed works in every situation.
Your post came off that GV are hard calving. Which is not always the case. AS for the breeder you bought them from i don't think it does my reputation any good to cut down other breeders or breeds. As far as the bloodlines freedom is very popualr in the breed, he just isn't my cup of tea. The superman bloodline i haven't seen enough to comment either way. It is too bad that the gelbviehs you used didn't work as well as for you as i think the breed can for you situation. i know there are bulls in the breed that would work for you, but if the galloways are working that is all you can ask.

skcatlman":2qdze0in said:
Although i am a gelbvieh breeder, i realize not every bull pans out and not every breed works in every situation.
Your post came off that GV are hard calving. Which is not always the case. AS for the breeder you bought them from i don't think it does my reputation any good to cut down other breeders or breeds. As far as the bloodlines freedom is very popualr in the breed, he just isn't my cup of tea. The superman bloodline i haven't seen enough to comment either way. It is too bad that the gelbviehs you used didn't work as well as for you as i think the breed can for you situation. i know there are bulls in the breed that would work for you, but if the galloways are working that is all you can ask.

Good post. I agree. What bloodlines do you use in your program?

As for the bloodline i am using 1 herd bull is cocoa and hotshot on top and old canadian fb on bottom. anoher is KHR 66Z grand son on top and canadian fb on bottom. My new hfrs bull ARN b921 X Leachman Partyboy on bottom. AI - RTRH Independance, JRI Pld Grand Prix 53G,TSCC Creston,JRW Gunsmoke 32Z, Goldstar 5D, Sir ARN B921, Cocoa, Boo Boo,ACGC Blk Bonanza(Bronco) that is just what i used lately i am looking at more. I tried to get a polled PB from South africa last year but because of health issues he couldn't come over. I'd kinda like to see what is importable from Austrailia. But have had little sucess find any bulls so far.

skcatlman":koa9cmlu said:
As for the bloodline i am using 1 herd bull is cocoa and hotshot on top and old canadian fb on bottom. anoher is KHR 66Z grand son on top and canadian fb on bottom. My new hfrs bull ARN b921 X Leachman Partyboy on bottom. AI - RTRH Independance, JRI Pld Grand Prix 53G,TSCC Creston,JRW Gunsmoke 32Z, Goldstar 5D, Sir ARN B921, Cocoa, Boo Boo,ACGC Blk Bonanza(Bronco) that is just what i used lately i am looking at more. I tried to get a polled PB from South africa last year but because of health issues he couldn't come over. I'd kinda like to see what is importable from Austrailia. But have had little sucess find any bulls so far.
SKcatlman the gelbvieh's i've been exposed to are kind of round hocked and little footed. Is it a common breed problem or my limited exposure?

I am not completely sure what you mean by round hocked but if you mean sickle hocked that is not the case for the breed and as far as feet that is one of the reasons i was attracted to the breed. That is also the reason i like to keep some FB. breeding in the herd they have feet the are round with plenty heel and hoof wall that are large as well. So check out some canadian genetics other than freedom.

skcatlman":3a897dzj said:

We have quite a bit of Sherman Tank influence in our cows. We used a Tank X N56 (full brother to Otis), and we used a son of his by a Mankato daughter. We had an Otis by Stately Lady, a Mr Sensation son, a Leachman Big Boy son, and a Black Velvet son, Woodland Extra 838H, and the Super Sonic bull (Extra 150D by Miss Wonderful). We are currently using Black Hawk (Bronco X Miss Wonderful), and KIT Duke K15 (Dr Pepper by a full sib to Tabasco). On the AI part we are using some Carolina Fortune, Exclusive, and Citizen.

elwapo":vsp96a5w said:
How about BTI Extra 2106? The cattle I have seen out of him seem really stout.

There are some nice looking cattle by him and several good show cattle but the milk and the carcass EPD's are not good. He is only a 5 on milk and is negative on ribeye and marbling. His maternal brother, Red Alert, is in the same boat with REA and marbling but his milk is even worse at -5.

jnowack,

How do you like the Carolina Fortune cattle? On what type of females does he work best?

I've considered him for a couple of years but seems like he never makes it to the top of my list.

Also, have you seen any Good Stuff cattle?

UG":2szdtbu7 said:
jnowack,

How do you like the Carolina Fortune cattle? On what type of females does he work best?

I've considered him for a couple of years but seems like he never makes it to the top of my list.

Also, have you seen any Good Stuff cattle?

Our Fortune calves are all just fall babies, but so far they are doing well. They seem to have enough grow and muscle and look as good as a fuzzy haired fall calf is going to look. In another 3 or 4 months I will be able to tell a lot more about them. The Fortune bulls have done well on the Seedstock Plus sales.

I have not used the Good Stuff bull. Brian Beying of Dawson Creek Gelbvieh said that they were very happy with their Good Stuff calves. His sire Extra Exposure dropped to an 8 on milk, so I might be a little concerned with that.

One other thing on Fortune may be semen availability. I heard the supply was getting pretty low last fall and the guy with posession did not want to give him up.

Alot of these bulls you use in the US are not avalible to us in canada. Personally i want to see more butt in the breed and that is what i am trying to do. I personally don't like Gv bulls that look too angusy not that that is bad but, i am selling into a limo,char,simm market and my bulls have to compete in the thickness and muscling.There are some bulls up here that can really run. I don't need pretty i need thick,heavy muscled and rugged. Up here alot of guys are chasing this but they also have to be polled and dark red, And guys are putting this ahead of other things. Right now the hottest US bulls are Louis,Independance, Top Brass,Heavy Equipment and alot of freedom sons and grand sons. I have no freedom blood in my herd. Not that he is bad just that he isn't my cup of tea. I have used alot of old FB bulls from canada. One canadian bull that has really inpress me this fall is SLC Masterplan he leaves them like i want but also clean fronted. If you want to power up in the muscle department this black bull will do it, but i do not know if he is avalible in the US. He is one of the hottest bulls up here. One US bull who had semen sell this fall at a sale was T-Mack his semen sold for $85/straw and when it hits the open market it will be about $100/ straw. If anyone came up here with a freedom outcross that was good and showed well at Agribition or Farm fair you could make a truck load of money on semen sales, but you would have to leave him up here for now. I don't know why any of you guys haven't done it yet. There is a real demand for that dark red freedom outcross.

SK down here in southern alberta the course bulls are not as well accepted. Primarily due to the fact that this is the heart of angus country and any leather or too much shoulder is frowned upon. That being said, the past year I have noticed a real trend towards crossbreeding as the straight angus guys are finding too low of weaning weight ratios.

Speaking of GV Bulls, I have some Carolina Fortune Daughters I wanted to breed to High Maternal bulls. There were not alot of options. It seems in the past few years everyone has concentrated on BW and Growth.
I found Advantage looked good, Good EPD's with fairly decent ACC. Decent ACC is a problem in the bulls.
I also have some ecellent Red cows want to go the same way. Found KCF Bennett G196. Great EPD's, also great ACC.
Why are there few with high ACC?
Anybody with info on G196 send a PM or put it on board. I'm curious about his get. I guess using old bulls is the only way to get good ACC. I do have 30 units of Carolina Fortune, and his ACC is coming up.

The low accuracy issue usually comes up for 2 reasons. The first is that there is such a huge genepool and so many bulls available that no one bull gets used a lot. The other reason is the problem with Gelbviehs, they just aren;t generally as popular as some of the other breeds, i.e charolais, Simmenthal and probabl even limousin. I've been trying to find a good red Gelbvieh and have finally settled on BooBoo from ABS. He ain;t red, but he's at least a decent bull with decent accuracy. I don;t know if it's a lack of promotion by the registry or because they were brought in after the other continental breeds had already gotten a foothold. I happen to prefer them to Simmenthal (persoanl reasons), but I can get a wider selection of bulls to choose from with the later.

dun

What are your looking for a Gv. bull to do for you? If you want tell me i maybe can help you out with some other bulls that might work for you. What color of red are you lookig for?

Elwapo what lines ar you farmiliar with ? There are some bulls that would work that are pretty clean, but that is relative they are not choke fronted. Acceptance of Gv. takes time but once you get a foothold you are sure to have some loyal customers.

Dun
I like Boo Boo also, but he's not Homo Polled. May not bother you. Look at Collateral or Foster. G196 is Red. Dead and hard to get. Good EPD and great ACC. I have small amount, and close to you. Goodman MO. PM if interested.
JIM

I currently have a homozygous polled red herd sire TJB Absolute that is an Icon son. He was originally purchased for performance, but his calving ease and birth weight EPD,s have become very good CE 114 acc.31 and BW -1.0 acc.58. He has done a great job for us but he is a little too big for heifers so we AI him to the heifers and run him with cows. Our black bull is a Beretta son out of the Cocoas Kati flush cow owned by the Colvers'. Both of those bulls throw very clean fronted calves that are also loosely built. We also have a couple of unproven bulls purchased last year. we are going to need another black herd sire this year. I have a very good following of commercial buyers here. Gelbvieh spread like a rash .....once one outfit gets gelbvieh bulls and the neighbours see their calves they end up buying gelbvieh bulls too.

Latest posts