Gelbvieh cows are more efficient.

Help Support CattleToday:

What were the genetics behind the top sellers? Who consigned them?

You may want to take a look at DKCB Buford 07N, his calves are starting to top bull text in the midwest He goes back to JBOB 92C on the bottom and a Bennet bull on the top, he has solid numbers across the board and his semen sales are starting to take off.

bufordall":2qozk74f said:
You may want to take a look at DKCB Buford 07N, his calves are starting to top bull text in the midwest He goes back to JBOB 92C on the bottom and a Bennet bull on the top, he has solid numbers across the board and his semen sales are starting to take off.

His numbers look good. Marbling could be better but there really isn't any carcass data on him yet. I have been trying to avoid the Echo bloodlines. Echo is a spot carrier. Drew is also a carrier. I replaced on an Echo son I sold to a commercial breeder because of the spot gene. I can't afford unhappy bull buyers. The bad thing is that there is no gene test for spots (at least that is what I was told) and you don't know about it until they show up.

We have had a couple Bennett Landmark calves with white spots on their faces (wonder if he goes back to a Polled Hereford cow at KCF years ago). Sold one as a bull and the buyer hasn't complained of any other spotting.

Anyone familiar with the Visa cattle (other than the high selling bull at IA Beef Expo)? When I looked at his numbers a year ago they looked good. I've never used any Goldrush Genetics and don't know a lot about their program, so a little hesitant.

Also, looking for insights on Good Stuff, Sir Arnold, and Top Brass at ABS.

jnowack
My echo cows are the absolute best uddered and very easy keeping. I have never had white on with the exception of on the belly. I focus on thick, productive, and thrifty. White .......well that's just a color.

UG
I have not been too impressed at all with Top Brass and will not be using him again. The ABS Sir Arnold Bull throws calves with an abundance of leather and fairly flat muscled. Used him years ago, but the breed has phenotypically improved miles since then and left those type in the dust. In my opinion ABS has done very little in the acquisition of good Gelbvieh herd sires.

elwapo,

Thanks for your thoughts on bulls. I've only used one Gelbvieh bull from ABS in the past, and that was Bouncer. Boy, he sure vanished in a hurry.

Funny how the major AI studs haven't been very aggressive with the Gelbvieh business. Wonder if Gatz, Bull Barn, etc. have too much of the market, making it unattractive for the rest of the players. Select Sires dumped their Gelbvieh sires a couple years ago.

What experience did you have with Bouncer?
I found he really added performance and frame. I have used him a fair bit to ad performance and he has worked well on the smaller framed cows.
All the A.I studs are like sheep adding marginal angus sires and ignoring the other breeds. As of this time they are so far behind the ball they think they're first. The mood and trends are changing for a reason, and they will have to play catch up.

UG. Here is a Bouncer sired bull in our sale this spring.
bcrbal.jpg

As you pointed out, Bouncer did add performance and frame. However, we've been trying to reduce frame on most of our females that past several years without sacrificing performance.

The birth weight of the Bouncer calves was also higher than we liked. If I remember correctly, many of the Bouncer sired calves also had a little more of a course appearance.

elwapo":v9qjd5za said:
jnowack
My echo cows are the absolute best uddered and very easy keeping. I have never had white on with the exception of on the belly. I focus on thick, productive, and thrifty. White .......well that's just a color.

I won't argue about the quality of the Echo progeny. We used him and had some very good ones. The white on the belly does not bother me much either and is not necessarily an indicator of the presence of a spot gene. The spot gene these bulls carry is the same as the holstein and the old simmental. The bull we replaced did not have any white on him at all, but his calves were just as spotted as any holstein. The buyer was upset that he would be heavily discounted on these calves at the salebarn. This is a problem I don't want to deal with again and risk losing customers, so I will not use these bloodlines unless they are able to show that decendants are not carriers of the spot gene.

There are a few bulls that i know of that can throw a fair amount of white. But nothing like a holstein, is it maybe maine coming out in the breeding?

Can you tell me anything about Post rock Granite? have you seen any progeny ? i have had a PM about him and have never heard of him?

Anyone here care to offer up a comment on Judd Ranch's gelpvieh? Never seen any of them in person but their ad catches my eye in the GW each month. Got a sale catalog this past week and they have some impressive bulls in there.

cfpinz

I have only seen a few JRI bulls on the hoof up here in canada but they have all been pretty good bulls and have seemed to breed better than themselves. I think it might be worth your time to check these bulls out.

skcatlman":1o10gh7h said:
Can you tell me anything about Post rock Granite? have you seen any progeny ? i have had a PM about him and have never heard of him?

He is pretty young, I have not seen anything out of him yet.

the reason i ask about PR Granite he is a little differnt pedigree wise and i am looking in gettting a bit of semen to sample up here and am currently checking if he is cleared for export to canada. I'm not a big numbers guy but they seem OK. from the pictures he looks like my type a soggy, rugged ,deep bodied bull but i need more imfo b4 i would bring up alot of semen. If anyone else has seen him or progeny get back to me and give a report i am looking for specifics like deep. long spined, be descriptive as good and bad tell me little. Thanks in advance for your time for those who send me any reports.

[img]http://cattletoday.com/photos/...will know he will be a good 4-H steer. [/img]
know i need to turn the pic but you can see the top in the calf.

Latest posts