Gattle Gates

Help Support CattleToday:

Donald

Reaction score
Is this chain and clip sufficent to contain a herd of large cattle on a gate that faces a state highway?

Thanks for your input.

5vxjy9.jpg

No. Plus any cows that get out on neighboring property will probably be put in your pasture by good Samaritans. Then you'll have to sort yours from the neighbor's.

One calf killed on the road would buy a whole lot better.

I would use a heavier chain wrapped around both gate uprights and a heavy padlock

Good chain and lock is hard to beat. I would also put may name and phone number on a posted sign at the gate.

Not for entertainment for certain. This IS what a cattle owner has on one of his gates still, and exactly what he had on another gate on March 30th when his cows broke the clip and were astray upon a state highway during the hours of darkness. I came along and hit two black cows, which resulted in a lot of damage & injuries. I find it neither reasona le, nor prudent to use this set up to restrain cattle behind a gate. I just wanted to know if other cattle raisers were of the same opinion.

dun":fp6elzck said:
I would use a heavier chain wrapped around both gate uprights and a heavy padlock
And being on a HWY I would want a heavier gate. I hate them flimsy aluminum gates anyway.

and judging by the age of the post, I would definately use a chain to go all the way around the post and back through the gate. The telephone post has a lot of use left in it, but the outer surface is flaking, which means less of the nail is actually into solid wood. Certainly lock with a solid padlock.....AND put another chain and lock around the opposite end. I am a 27 yr insurance agent, and a cow killed on a road of any kind can bring a heck of a lawsuit your way. In my state (FL), if you have taken ample steps to secure your cattle, it lessens the chance of an award being paid to the claimant, or thrown out completely in many cases... Best of luck!

david

Well I would say it probably is sufficient, but I would not like to give them a chance to test it out.
I like stainless yacht rigging wire with big loops swaged on either end to padlock around the post and gate. The wire is a lot harder to cut with bolt cutters.
Ken

This touches a nerve with me. I had a insurance guy come out to my farm and look things over for my farm policy this spring. He said he would like to see a different gate for my entrance to the barn yard (main gate). It is a 8ft tall, pipe framed, chain link fence gate kept shut with a half inch cable and huge clip! It was used to keep stud horses apart! Talk about over kill, and he wanted better. We can always do better and if this is along a major highway maybe it needs an upgrade but when do we start building pipe fences along the roads to make everyone happy? Another two things that have happened this spring that set me off, I had 6 yearlings in a nice little pasture two miles from my house on rented ground, not great fences but has always held them in. Get a call they are out, go find them and bring them back to find the gate open. Ok, I should have a better gate, then find three holes cut in the fence made by people stealing scrap from the land lords junk row. They actually went along and cut the wires off the steel post and took them too along the road! The other one happened last week, finished brand new, 5 wire, barb wire fence. Two days later a storm blew a tree over on the fence and cows get out. Fun, Fun. I cant stand livestock being out which is why my cattle getting out drives me nuts even if it wasn't my fault. How big are your chipmunks gonzo? Most people use the same set up as in the picture or worse, baling wire. Thanks for letting me rant a little this morning. I'm not taking sides or blaming anyone. That gate set up has probably worked for thirty years but like every thing else it will someday fail.

My perspective for the reply I made isn;t as much for keeping the cows in as it is to keeping the thieves/rustlers out.

5vxjy9.jpg

I would change the gate along with the chain if you get a chance. If my eyes tell me right the gate is one of those galvanized "lifetime" gates. Well the lifetime is pretty short

To me it would depend on what area the gate is. In a feedlot or crowding pen, no it would not hold. But in a pasture area, I would think that would normally be fine. The cattle would have an easier time running through the fence (assuming it is barbed wire or electric) than they would going through the gate.

ChrisB":1wmiix7i said:
To me it would depend on what area the gate is. In a feedlot or crowding pen, no it would not hold. But in a pasture area, I would think that would normally be fine. The cattle would have an easier time running through the fence (assuming it is barbed wire or electric) than they would going through the gate.
I agree on keeping them in the pasture, but I would have a chain and lock to keep people out, or at least slow them down a bit.

Do I use something stronger? Absolutely. Will that work to hold cattle in? In most cases, yes. In a pasture situation a cow which gets out does it at the weakest point or what they see as the weakest point. One of those lifetime gates looks fairly solid compared to a wire fence. Would that chain and snap break if the cows run against it? Sure, but so would a 5 strand barbwire fence. I would doubt that the cows unsnapped the chain so if they got out through the gate it is probably a case of some one leaving the gate open.

Personally I like to have two different things holding a gate shut. Two chains, two ropes, a chain and a rope. If for some reason one fails the second one is there for safety even if it is just a piece of bale twine. The vast vast majority of cows that get out through a gate get out through an open gate. Not one that they somehow broke out of.

Dave":ynd488o4 said:
I would doubt that the cows unsnapped the chain so if they got out through the gate it is probably a case of some one leaving the gate open.
I would have thought so too, EXCEPT, we had one cow that would take a dog snap in her mouth and mess with it till it opened. Drove me nuts trying to figure it out till one day she screwed up and as soon as I put her back and snapped the snap she started chewing on it. I use a carabiner now. Less convenient for me but she hasn;t figured out how to open it yet.

dun":39fskgfh said:
Dave":39fskgfh said:
I would doubt that the cows unsnapped the chain so if they got out through the gate it is probably a case of some one leaving the gate open.
I would have thought so too, EXCEPT, we had one cow that would take a dog snap in her mouth and mess with it till it opened. Drove me nuts trying to figure it out till one day she screwed up and as soon as I put her back and snapped the snap she started chewing on it. I use a carabiner now. Less convenient for me but she hasn;t figured out how to open it yet.

One reason I try to have all snaps, hooks, knots, or whatever I fasten with on the outside of the gate. And if possible I try to hide it behind the post. It has been a while since I had a cow do it but the horse let himself out last week.

Latest posts