Building gates

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
The gates in my corral just aren't heavy enough cows keep missing them up. So Iam going to build some gates what is better to use tubing or round metal? What gage metal would I need to use? Going to build them about 6 ft tall so that they can't jump them. My cows are pretty layed back in the feild and u can walk right up to them but when u get them in the corral they get a little crazy.

TennesseeTuxedo":2j1pqca3 said:
I think I'd bring them in the coral more often to eat some feed without closing the gates or putting pressure on them.

That's where they eat there grain. But once u shut the gates and start putting them through the corral is when they get nervous

I have some gates made from 2inchsquare tubing and 1/8 wall thickness. I try to not use them cause they;re so dam heavy. A couple of a diagonal of the same material and cattle panels welded to them.

dun":25445kjl said:
I have some gates made from 2inchsquare tubing and 1/8 wall thickness. I try to not use them cause they;re so dam heavy. A couple of a diagonal of the same material and cattle panels welded to them.

That's pretty much how I build mine. Pre stress them because the cattle panel welding to one side tends to bow them that way. I've started using 1 1/2 inch tube. Like it better.

We built all our gates in the past out of sch.40 2 3/8 pipe. When we added on we switched to sch.30. It made a big difference in weight and price. They haven't been tested by any of our high heads yet but they feel pretty durable.

Thanks for all the info Iam going to check on some metal prices soon and see what it will coast to build some gates.

Like most things I tend to go overboard and gates in the corral is no exception. I used 2X4 rect tubing about 1/8" thick. Darn gates are really heavy but so far the crazy ones have not yet made a dent in them.

Latest posts