M-5 and other building experts

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I have a metal bulding. Metal studs and tin.
It's been 100 plus and the building with out air circulation is unbearable.

Foam insulation guys coming in the morning.

I was going with corrugated tin for the look but I think I need something that doesn't conduct heat.

Anything more I can do ?
Anything better than Sheetrock that doesn't conduct heat ?

To add the tin gets so hot you literally could cook an egg.

I need something that will insulate the heat away from the inside

I think I'm going to put cool seal on the roof.
I hope the foam insulation works well but when I finish out the inside I'd like to insulate or use material for more insulation.
The space between the studs are full so I can't add more insulation.

Sheetrock seems it'd give the best insulation
Just wondering if there is something better
Something foil backed or polystyrene or ?

you can use a foil vapor barrier against the studs before any insulation is applied. If you don't mind adding a couple inches to the walls get you some poly iso 4x8 sheets to put between studs and sheet rock. It has r factor Of 6per inch if you were to do what I have suggested you will have built a cooler , It will be Easy to cool and heat the building, The thinnest sheet of ISO is 1" but with that you could use a thinner drywall send me you zip code and I can direct you where to purchase it. If you coat the roof use WHITE elastomeric

Brute 23":24cfu4oo said:
There are all kinds of insulation you can attach to the tin. We did a building and used spray adhesive to attach it to the tin. Then we screwed the tin on. Worked great. You can tell a huge difference.

They are spraying closed cell foam this morning
I hope it works well

M-5":1be2bzgh said:
you can use a foil vapor barrier against the studs before any insulation is applied. If you don't mind adding a couple inches to the walls get you some poly iso 4x8 sheets to put between studs and sheet rock. It has r factor Of 6per inch if you were to do what I have suggested you will have built a cooler , It will be Easy to cool and heat the building, The thinnest sheet of ISO is 1" but with that you could use a thinner drywall send me you zip code and I can direct you where to purchase it. If you coat the roof use WHITE elastomeric

That's what I was thinking
Foil backed polystyrene ( is that what ISO)
Edit
I googled it
Thanks

If you're going to "finish" the inside I would just spray the whole shell with foam, shave the foam on the walls down, and then lathe it and attach the tin for the interior walls (if I'm understanding you correctly). An R value of 3 is pretty much the same as nothing. Paint the foam in the top black. Pretty common in commercial applications.

JMJ Farms":sujxhrf0 said:
If you're going to "finish" the inside I would just spray the whole shell with foam, shave the foam on the walls down, and then lathe it and attach the tin for the interior walls (if I'm understanding you correctly). An R value of 3 is pretty much the same as nothing. Paint the foam in the top black. Pretty common in commercial applications.

JMJ the way I read it he already has insulation in the walls and is looking for added R value. the Thermax and Poly ISo has R value of 6 per inch adding 1 inch does help adding 3 makes it a walk-in cooler.

Yeah I must've read it wrong Dash. If the walls are already insulated and then he adds foam to the underside of the roof that should help tremendously. Cross stated that it was "unbearable" which led me to believe it didn't have any insulation at all. I think I misunderstood.

Spray foam insulation is amazing
Before I couldn't cool it down below a 100
Now after 1 hr with a small Ac it was 75 .

I'm out of room on my studs but I'm going to add one by's and do as M-5 suggested and add the polyiso.

I don't have electric service so I am going to need all the help I can get

bbirder":2j4ff8pv said:
What was the cost on that spray foam Cross-7?

The price varies but 2.00 sq ft for 1" thick closed cell.
But 2-3" isn't much more than 2.00
Since they are already there have all doors, windows and etc taped off and suited up and spraying
It's hard to gauge foam when spraying and they shave a lot off when cleaning up and exposing the studs so the material must not be that expensive.

Latest posts