pole barn vs metal building kit ?

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus1

Reaction score
planning to build a 40' wide 60' long 16' tall pole barn . I see the pre fabbed metal truss kits being sold locally for decent prices . I don't have any experience with these . Barn will store hay and equipment . Also considering the arch style metal buildings

Seems like I had almost 95 hundred in this, and 5 hot days. It's 40' X 60'.

30x160x16 metal arch building open ends for $7500 shipped , us steel and 22 gauge and straight sides . Material only will have to put it together myself .. Can this be beat ?

BobbyLummus1":2onf9g50 said:
oops 30x60x16

Is there a bunch of concrete work that it sits on? The only building like that I ever even remotely helped put up had a rather elaborate footer it sat on. The sections went up fast though.

BobbyLummus1":tgt90b0z said:
Will have to at least pour two footers to anchor it too , some build walls to make it taller

The concrete may override the savings of the building. May also be tricky to stack 3 rolls high in 16' building.

BobbyLummus1":2u87kci0 said:
planning to build a 40' wide 60' long 16' tall pole barn . I see the pre fabbed metal truss kits being sold locally for decent prices . I don't have any experience with these . Barn will store hay and equipment . Also considering the arch style metal buildings

No arch experience.
Was told metal trusses become more economical as the building gets wider.
Most are now building frame on slab shops/sheds here now to make insulating and finishing cheaper.
Many are now wrapping hay here to make short term storage cheaper.

Bigfoot":2ccjig7s said:
Seems like I had almost 95 hundred in this, and 5 hot days. It's 40' X 60'.

I wonder how much wind that structure can handle? The arch/quonset type structures can weather a hurricane. In fact, that was a factor in their use by the defense department.

After losing 3 barns in '90 to a wild fire, I am not big on wood.

Wind is a factor here too. Some areas of the U.S. don't see winds like other places do.

Latest posts