Drive Thru electric gates

Help Support CattleToday:

Douglas

Reaction score
Do these thing work? Can they be left open? Trying to make it easier for my elderly dad to drive around the farm without getting out of the truck. Alternatives?

I have one drive thru electric gate. It works fine most of the year but when snow & ice build up in the winter the calves will start going through it but the cows still respect it. I have a piece of twine hanging off each side of it and when I want it left open I just hook the twine on a nail or the fence so it won't spring back shut.

No maintenance to it whatsover, once you get it installed you shouldn't have to touch it. Their pretty simple so if you need a bunch of them, maybe buy one to see how it works and then make the rest with any improvements you might think of. Their very handy if it is a gate you drive through regularly.

If it matters.....they usually leave a real nice streak from (the rubber/plastic end) down the side of your vehicle.

I have used one for a few years and have trouble with the tractor tires catching on the graphite end and breaking it they are expensive to replace. There is another kind that has fingers that are vertical and have a spring that brings them up when you drive over it works well with tractor, quad,truck.ect. I have both knees replaced and wouldnt be able to feed cows for a couple of years if it were not for these gates a quad and special steps for the old deere.

Latest posts