Gator/Mule vs Four Wheelers

Help Support CattleToday:

We have both a 4 wheeler and a Gator here. The poor little 4 wheeler sits in the shop while the Gator gets to run all over the property. We have only had the Gator for a few months but it sure is racking up the hours. It is super handy having that bed on the back compared to a 4 wheeler.
Not only that but my lab loves to ride along in the front seat as well!

And as your body ages it's a lot easier to get on and off since you don;t have to try to haul your leg over it.

dun

DO NOT BUY A GATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bought a 6 wheel gator several years ago. Absolutely great around the farm FOR THE FIRST TWO YEARS. Then the engine started missing, took it in for repair and once again it ran fine; for a month. Repair trips started getting more and more frequent. Finally on one trip the JD mechanic was in a big hurry and just climb in the bed of my truck and changed the spark plug. I told him I didn't consider that a repar job! He told me that that was all they could do with that engine! Went to another JD dealer. He was honest! Told me that the Kawasaki engine was actually a lawnmower engine designed to be run wide open all the time and threw way too much oil on the valves at slow speeds. He told me the thing is not suited for slow putt putt speeds! Guess how fast I drive checking cows!! Put in two new plugs and took it to the auction!!!!!!!!!!!!!

norriscathy":3uska7mx said:
DO NOT BUY A GATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bought a 6 wheel gator several years ago. Absolutely great around the farm FOR THE FIRST TWO YEARS. Then the engine started missing, took it in for repair and once again it ran fine; for a month. Repair trips started getting more and more frequent. Finally on one trip the JD mechanic was in a big hurry and just climb in the bed of my truck and changed the spark plug. I told him I didn't consider that a repar job! He told me that that was all they could do with that engine! Went to another JD dealer. He was honest! Told me that the Kawasaki engine was actually a lawnmower engine designed to be run wide open all the time and threw way too much oil on the valves at slow speeds. He told me the thing is not suited for slow putt putt speeds! Guess how fast I drive checking cows!! Put in two new plugs and took it to the auction!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must be one powerful lawn mower! I had a problem similar to yours with the 2 cylinder engine in the mule. Took it in a couple of times and they just scratched their heads. I got a service manual and adjusted the valves to where they should have been and haven;t had a lick of problems since, and that was 3-4 years ago. Interestingly, the orignal problem started at about 18 months. I wouldn;t doubt that yours needed the same thing

dun

dun":1arubkfq said:
norriscathy":1arubkfq said:

Must be one powerful lawn mower! I had a problem similar to yours with the 2 cylinder engine in the mule. Took it in a couple of times and they just scratched their heads. I got a service manual and adjusted the valves to where they should have been and haven;t had a lick of problems since, and that was 3-4 years ago. Interestingly, the orignal problem started at about 18 months. I wouldn;t doubt that yours needed the same thing

dun
I know one thing. The Engine in the 3010 Mule is no lawnmower engine. I've got right at 300 hrs. on our's and the only problem I've had with it was a plug wire came off, and the tailgate hardware is junk.

Check on the Yamaha Rhino 660. I bought one about six monthes ago and I love it. I have been unable to get it stuck and have been able to pull anything I hook to it. It is a little smaller than the Polaris Ranger and A little cheaper. It is real easy to manuver and has low range with a locking differential. Comes in real handy checking the cows.

Latest posts