Gator/Mule vs Four Wheelers

Help Support CattleToday:

My 610 4x4 Mule works great for what I need. Wish I had got the diesel though,between the Mule,the riding mower,chain saws and trimmers etc. I'm haulin 20 gal. of gas a week to the farm. Could be useing the diesel from my overhead tank. :roll:

I've been using a 3010 Mule for a couple years now. It's great for IPT spraying for mesquites plus I can carry a chain saw, basal spray and other tools for cutting the bigger ones. A four wheeler just can't haul as much and have a roof over it. My only criticism is that it rides like a paint mixer.

Well, I guess I'm slumming...lol. My 16 HP riding mower trashed out the deck one time too many and I bought new mower. Then, I removed old mower deck (to city dump), removed unwanted linkage underneath, "Re-Programmed" the seat so motor would stay running when got off it. Plan to construct a box for the back. Have used it to pull small fertilizer unit as well as spray rig. Plan to use it to haul repair stuff to places around here. One advantage here is that we have no trees or brush or stumps or logs in pastures so this "mower" will go anywhere here. When weather is bad, use my pickup up and down alleys.

Disadvantage: Rough riding!

Total Cost: $0.00 (salvaged old riding mower).

I use one with a 4 wheel cart behind it. It stays hooked up pretty much all the time. That way I don't have to tie up a 4 wheeler. I'll be the first to admit backing that 4 wheel wagon is about as hard as putting socks on a rooster.

I would sugest the honda 350 4x4. THats what we have had since 03 and we have not had a problem one. Ours was close to 4k new and it was well worth the money. I have used a ranger before and I really dislike it. I have a homade four wheeler trailer that I carry everything on it and it works great. I have known people that have been using theirs for 10 plus years. Best of Luck!!!

My dad's friend just bought a Polaris Ranger and he loves it. The reason he picked it over the others is #1- it has a bigger passenger space #2- it goes faster than the gator, etc. I personally like the Kubota because it is TOUGH. You can get used to the hydrostatic transmission. I really like the diesel. We have had two Kubota tractors and they have been the best small tractors we have ever had. You can also get a hydraulic dump on the Kubota which I think is neat.

For the price why don't ya just get a 4 wheeler and a old junker jeep. You could get both for the price of a mule.

We got a Kubota RTV a few months back and we love it! It has 4 wheel drive, a hydraulic dump box, a winch,runs on diesel, will go darned near anywhere, and mud is no problem. We use it for everything from changing irrigation water to picking up tree limbs to cleaning the runs at the horsebarn. The deceleration was interesting at first, but got used to it pretty quick. Since it came, the pickups don't hardly get used any more. The 4 wheeler does NOT get used anymore, because the Kubota - affectionately nicknamed the 'Goat' - is so much more practical, useful, and convenient.

flbullrider":319p52ng said:
I saw one of those Kubota deals at a show a few months back - looked pretty cool. Then I saw the price. Ouch.

Mike Bishop - http://www.flbullrider.com

I'm curious what the price was. I know what we paid for ours, and I'm wondering about possible mark-up or if the one you saw was fully loaded.

i priced a mule 4yrs ago when i bought a honda 500 rubicon 500 4wd an it was $8300 so prolly $9000 to $9300 now scott

The Forest Service Region 8, has been struggling with this very same question for about a year now (since too many fatalities on ATV's). Seems to me we are going full circle right back to the willy's jeep. The size of these UTV's and prices suggest to me that a used army jeep would be about what the industry are working back to and what consumers are looking for. In many instances they may be cheaper as well. My two cents worth anyway, and what I'll get for the place if I ever get ahead.

4T":2c3rpzib said:
The Forest Service Region 8, has been struggling with this very same question for about a year now (since too many fatalities on ATV's). Seems to me we are going full circle right back to the willy's jeep. The size of these UTV's and prices suggest to me that a used army jeep would be about what the industry are working back to and what consumers are looking for. In many instances they may be cheaper as well. My two cents worth anyway, and what I'll get for the place if I ever get ahead.

The advantage of the mule over a jeep is the space required to manipulate it through the rougher country, woods and our gully ridden pastures. If it needs to be used somewhere a distance away, it can be loaded in the back of a pickup or hauled on a light duty trailer. The floataion tires are also easier on the soil. Their are disadvantages to both, in some applications, just as with cattle, one size does not fit all.

dun

IMHO, A Mule is a Farmer's/Rancher's right hand man. Much handier than a Jeep because of where you can take it,especially if you have heavily wooded areas.

Crowderfarms":1r6lanch said:
IMHO, A Mule is a Farmer's/Rancher's right hand man. Much handier than a Jeep because of where you can take it,especially if you have heavily wooded areas.

I'm beginningto think I should get a commision from the local dealer. It's a surprise to me how many people have gone to a mule after spending a day out here and seeing how handy they are. I classify them as being as handy as pocket on a shirt.

dun

I personally would go with the Kubota RTV. I volunteer on our county Rescue Squad and we purchased one a few months ago for accidents that require getting back in the knobs or way off the road. It is kind of tricky driving it the first time but only takes a couple of stops to get used to it. I like the hydraulic operated dump bed. Ours has a metal roof, windshield with wipers, and winch It is a very sturdy built machine. The local dealer said he wouldn't sell us a Mule as he was discontinuing selling them because of quality concerns. Price was around $10,500. We looked at several other brands but decided this was the best one for us.

Guys,

I use a Polaris 500 on the farm but also use what is consider to be the Grandfather of the current day Mules and the 4 wheelers.

Below are a couple of pictures my nephew Jake on my M274 Military Mule. The Military Mules were made from about 1956 thru 1970. There were about 10,000 Military mules made and about 1/2 of these were left in Vietnam when we left. I'm sure some of you Vets will remember these Mules. They have either a 2 or 4 cylinder air cooled motor, 3 speed tranny w/reverse, 2 speed transfer case. positive traction front and rear axles. One wheel dosen't spin unless they all do. Weighs less than 900 pounds since it is all aluminum and is rated to carry 1000 pounds (more than it weighs). Highway speed is about 25-30 MPH. I converted this one to electric start because I got tired of yanking on the cord.

This thing will go anywhere and haul just about anything. It is the utlimate Mule !!!!

dcp-2205_large.jpg

dcp-2212_large.jpg

This past Feb. I bought a 2wd mule (600). It cost me $6200 with taxes and everything, including the towing package (trailer hitch). I love it, especially the dump bed. But the thing I like the most is that my daughters can ride it. Seatbelts and roll cage; much safer than a 4 wheeler. I don't regret buying a 2 wd. I only got it stuck once, and that was on purpose. If you do get the 2wd, get the winch with it. Or just get the 610 4wd, but ofcourse it's more $$$

Latest posts