Gas Prices Dropping

Help Support CattleToday:

Cinco_M_Gert":2sycp9ip said:
2.26/gal in North Houston.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

was watching our local news and they say montana has the highest "average" gas prices of the lower 48 states!! Here in our little town, the price has dropped to a staggering $2.99 for regular unleaded!! The rest of you are simply making me very, very jealous!!!

Campground Cattle":1fx4we27 said:
Frankie":1fx4we27 said:
Gas is down about 30 cents a gallon here. Paid $2.52 yesterday, down from the $2.85 two weeks ago. Why? Mid Term elections. No refineries have been built, BP still says their production will be shut down, hurricane season is still going on, heating oil season is near, the Middle East is still in turmoil, yet gas prices are dropping like a rock. Every reason "they" have given us for high gasoline prices is still present. There has never been any reason for prices to be as high as they are and as the election comes closer, the big oil companies see that their bought and paid for politicans are in danger of losing their seats of power. So they'll drop prices until after the election. After the election, if they're still in charge, you can bet the price gouging will start again.

Frankie as smart as you are you can really put on blinders.
For one several gulf coast refineries have completed repairs and up and running since the the hurricanes and nearing capacity since Katrina and Rita.
And they are some still not all up from the hurricane's last year.

Gas prices went up way before the huricanes ever played a role in it. It's been on the rise & ever time they have an excuse they jump the price up.Funny how much profit these oil companies are making . of course all the extra cost are passed on to the consumer.
What gets me is all the big SUV"s driving around. I recently went & bought me a truck . salesman wanted to sell me a 6 cyl. I shook my head & walked up to 1 with a 4cyl , with overdrive.

Crowation":387pdj1f said:
Campground Cattle":387pdj1f said:
Frankie":387pdj1f said:
Gas is down about 30 cents a gallon here. Paid $2.52 yesterday, down from the $2.85 two weeks ago. Why? Mid Term elections. No refineries have been built, BP still says their production will be shut down, hurricane season is still going on, heating oil season is near, the Middle East is still in turmoil, yet gas prices are dropping like a rock. Every reason "they" have given us for high gasoline prices is still present. There has never been any reason for prices to be as high as they are and as the election comes closer, the big oil companies see that their bought and paid for politicans are in danger of losing their seats of power. So they'll drop prices until after the election. After the election, if they're still in charge, you can bet the price gouging will start again.

For one several gulf coast refineries have completed repairs and up and running since the the hurricanes and nearing capacity since Katrina and Rita.

Gas prices went up way before the huricanes ever played a role in it. It's been on the rise & ever time they have an excuse they jump the price up.Funny how much profit these oil companies are making . of course all the extra cost are passed on to the consumer.
What gets me is all the big SUV"s driving around. I recently went & bought me a truck . salesman wanted to sell me a 6 cyl. I shook my head & walked up to 1 with a 4cyl , with overdrive.

I hate to defend the oil companies, but even though they have record gross profits if you look at their profit margin it is a lot less than other Fortune 500 countries here in the U.S. I think it is almost half that of Wal-Mart. They just deal with big figures.

in 2004 Exxon Mobil earned more money -- $25.33 billion -- than any other company on the Fortune 500 list of largest corporations. But by another measure of profitability, gross profit margin, it ranked No. 127.

I hate high gas prices as much as the next person. But I always find it funny when everyone rags on a company for doing what it was started to do, make money. I went and ate at Outback Steak House Saturday night, my Ribeye Steak was $19.00. To lots of people the price of beef seems outrageous. So they eat more chicken and prices come down

If we use less gas prices will come down.

Buy some stock in some oil companies and then see if you wish they would willfully make less money. Do we have the right to ask a company to try to make less profit? What if government came in and said you can sale 500lb calves for no more than $1.00 per pound? That is what you want them to do to the oil companies. They have ever right to make as much money as possible.

That is what makes America Great!

It was 2.399 in OKC Friday morning and then 2.309 last night when we came back through. I also think it is getting mighty close to the mid-tern elections.

Fly-guy

aplusmnt":1gf9xiy0 said:
Gas Prices been dropping around her, down to $2.47 almost a 20 cent drop at one station in less than two weeks.

Hope it keeps up!

But weird thing is ever since BP incident we been seeing lower prices slowly coming down instead of up.

Go figure!

Since I posted this 4 days later and gas has dropped another 9 cents. It is getting weird on where it is dropping, in all my years of living in this area, Miami OK has always been higher than Joplin MO, they are about 25 miles apart but due to State Taxes on fuel MO was always cheaper than OK. But today the cheapest gas I found was in Miami OK, not Joplin MO.

Will be interesting to see how the new oil find in the Gulf will play out towards things. Maybe it will prompt congress to relax some of the drilling regulations and let America start finding its own oil

Interesting side note as they keep finding oil deeper and deeper below the crust it will help to prove the theory that oil is not a fossil fuel and is not in limited supply but actually abiotic and replenishes itself.

Here's two things I'm pretty sure of re energy costs:

1. Oil companies want Republicans to maintain control
of congress

2. The cheaper fossil fuels are, the faster they are
used up; i.e. they are finite resources that
are essential to the way we have become
accustomed to live in the developed world.

aplusmnt":2j65u3d1 said:
Crowation":2j65u3d1 said:
Campground Cattle":2j65u3d1 said:
Frankie":2j65u3d1 said:

I hate to defend the oil companies, but even though they have record gross profits if you look at their profit margin it is a lot less than other Fortune 500 countries here in the U.S. I think it is almost half that of Wal-Mart. They just deal with big figures.

in 2004 Exxon Mobil earned more money -- $25.33 billion -- than any other company on the Fortune 500 list of largest corporations. But by another measure of profitability, gross profit margin, it ranked No. 127.

I hate high gas prices as much as the next person. But I always find it funny when everyone rags on a company for doing what it was started to do, make money. I went and ate at Outback Steak House Saturday night, my Ribeye Steak was $19.00. To lots of people the price of beef seems outrageous. So they eat more chicken and prices come down

Buy some stock in some oil companies and then see if you wish they would willfully make less money. Do we have the right to ask a company to try to make less profit? What if government came in and said you can sale 500lb calves for no more than $1.00 per pound? That is what you want them to do to the oil companies. They have ever right to make as much money as possible.

Good post on free enterprise. You are dead on Americans are mad at companies for doing what they are trying to do. Let Exxon and the others go broke and out of business and see about crying then. I also wonder a lot about the price is not the governments fault like on guns. Seems like everyone want's to sue the gun maker, oil company, retail store. We view the big companies as evil that actually made us what we are today.
The thing I see good about oil prices going up is it is creating jobs in my area. There are 40 active drilling rigs around me right now. There has not been drilling here since before the war.

Look at what is happening to our corporations.
American Auto is going belly up, Oil is almost all foriegn owned,
I don't know about all the retail stores,Target is owned by the French.
All of our tractor's are made overseas.
Looks like we are supporting everyone but ourselves here.
We are digging a hole we can't get out of.

Then why can't our Dairies get enough for their milk. They are going belly up because they can't get enough money for their milk but these oil company's can gouge on their prices something that is a necessity too. I know they are trying to make more money but thier prices reflect alot for everything to become more costly

shutskytj":1z8nrvng said:
Then why can't our Dairies get enough for their milk. They are going belly up because they can't get enough money for their milk but these oil company's can gouge on their prices something that is a necessity too.

You're exactly right. If the price of a loaf of bred skyrocketed like the price of gasoline, you can bet our government would be out investigating.

aplusmnt":260ewggi said:

Get real. Oil is a commodity, just like wheat and corn. It's subject to the same trading regulations as corn and wheat. Yet, IMO, if the price of corn and wheat went up as much as oil prices have gone up, our government would be investigating and demanding to know why. But oil producers are treated with kid gloves by this government. Why?

Frankie":2dbp19bo said:
aplusmnt":2dbp19bo said:

Get real. Oil is a commodity, just like wheat and corn. It's subject to the same trading regulations as corn and wheat. Yet, IMO, if the price of corn and wheat went up as much as oil prices have gone up, our government would be investigating and demanding to know why. But oil producers are treated with kid gloves by this government. Why?

Lets see I am getting nearly 200% more for my calfs today than 10 years ago, thats right but they are wrong.
Seems a little one sided just to want free enterprise when it just helps you.

Caustic you may be getting 200% more than ten years ago, but will those dollars buy the same as then?

I don't have a problem with profit, I do have a problem with OBSCENE profit. And I have a problem with undue influence in our government, including devastating foreign policy.

The guy running his corner gas station, or the workers on the ground aren't seeing the anything equivilant to the profits that Mr. CEO gets.

Hippie Rancher":3bqi2ufw said:
Caustic you may be getting 200% more than ten years ago, but will those dollars buy the same as then?

I don't have a problem with profit, I do have a problem with OBSCENE profit. And I have a problem with undue influence in our government, including devastating foreign policy.

The guy running his corner gas station, or the workers on the ground aren't seeing the anything equivilant to the profits that Mr. CEO gets.

The guy running the corner gas stations should not be guaranteed to make the same as the CEO, now let him own 1,000 gas stations and maybe he will make more than the CEO. Everyone is not entitled to make the same as others, the CEO went to college and became good at what he does and led a company to good profits that is why he makes what he does.

Besides oil companies make large profits because they deal with large investments and big money. Wal-Mart and many more companies have a larger profit margin than oil companies.

If a company invest 1 billion dollars, they should have a larger gross profit than a company that invest 1 million dollars.

Frankie":2rpjqsyh said:
shutskytj":2rpjqsyh said:
Then why can't our Dairies get enough for their milk. They are going belly up because they can't get enough money for their milk but these oil company's can gouge on their prices something that is a necessity too.

You're exactly right. If the price of a loaf of bred skyrocketed like the price of gasoline, you can bet our government would be out investigating.

Now lets see if a price of bread skyrocketed like oil has, then maybe the government would look into it, because it would be wrong since bread prices have kept up with the Cost of living increases each year they have always made yearly adjustments.

Were in contrast gas prices did not keep up with the cost of living they were way below it, and as a result the market had to make adjustments.

And how is this saviour government of yours going to change what people in Saudi Arabia sell oil for? And even more important why should they? Gas prices are pretty cheap by comparison.

"...equivilant to the profits that Mr. CEO gets."

Maybe you have a problem with the word EQUIVALENT because I spelled it wrong, but I did NOT say the SAME profits.

Half of all CEOs in the United States
made more than $14 million in total
compensation last year – which is
1,359 times the minimum wage, and
500 times the amount the average
American earns. If the minimum wage
had increased as much as CEO pay
since 1990, it would be $23.03 per
hour. (United for a Fair Economy,
Executive Excess, 2005)

http://edworkforce.house.gov/democrats/ ... ages%22%22

Check that report out - there is some interesting stuff in there.

Hippie Rancher":hm594ivv said:
"...equivilant to the profits that Mr. CEO gets."

Maybe you have a problem with the word EQUIVALENT because I spelled it wrong, but I did NOT say the SAME profits.

Half of all CEOs in the United States
made more than $14 million in total
compensation last year – which is
1,359 times the minimum wage, and
500 times the amount the average
American earns. If the minimum wage
had increased as much as CEO pay
since 1990, it would be $23.03 per
hour. (United for a Fair Economy,
Executive Excess, 2005)

http://edworkforce.house.gov/democrats/ ... ages%22%22

Check that report out - there is some interesting stuff in there.

I could care less if they make equivalent, anyone that can run a bussiness that deals in Billions and Billions of dollars deserves whatever they can get.

No person or Government has any right to say what a person is able to earn. Unless it is a government job. Who cares what these people make they are private bussinesses not government jobs. I might care what a U.S. Senator makes but I could care less what a CEO of Microsoft, Chevron, Wal-Mart makes, that is between them and their Stockholders. If the CEO does a good job he will get a raise if he does a bad job he will get fired.

You got to give up on this thinking that all people need to equal or equivalently paid equal. This is America be successful and work hard and you might be as rich as Bill Gates, be lazy and unmotivated you might be digging ditches for $5.50 an hour, but the good news is that America needs ditch diggers too! So it is all good.

And if the ditch digger would have increased his bosses business as much as the CEO's have since 1990 maybe he would be making $23.00 per hour instead of $5.25

Only person I worry about what they make is Me, everyone else is none of my business.

The CEO has to return huge profits to stay in business today.
If not the investors are going to take their money elsewhere.
Just a question how many of ya'll own stock and expect a return in dividends on that stock.
In the seventies acceptable returns were 10% now no less than 15% is acceptable.

Caustic Burno":1kh61qgy said:
The CEO has to return huge profits to stay in business today.
If not the investors are going to take their money elsewhere.
Just a question how many of ya'll own stock and expect a return in dividends on that stock.
In the seventies acceptable returns were 10% now no less than 15% is acceptable.

If only that were true. But it's not. Producing a profit has little to do with CEO's pay these days.

http://www.faireconomy.org/press/2005/EE2005_pr.html

"If you had invested in the stock of the company led by the year's single highest paid CEO each year since 1990, you actually would have lost money. You would have done nearly six times better by investing in the S&P 500 index. A $10,000 investment in such a Greedy CEO portfolio in 1991 would have decreased in value to $8,079 by the end of 2004, while a similar investment in the S&P 500 would have increased to $48,350."

Latest posts