Gas price help?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lngvew

Reaction score
Why not do what Jimmy Carter did back in the 70's. Slow everybody down! Look at I95, I40, I85, I77 take your pick, get out there and set your cruise control on the speed limit, 70 mph. Folks will blow you off the road, cuss you for going to slow. The average speed I would guess to be 85 mph. Back in the 70's the speed limit was 55 mph with most folks running 60. That is fast enough! How much better gas milage would your car get at 60 vs 85? How much safer and less stressful would the highways be? Give the folks 5 mph over, 6 over cost them $100.00, 10 over, $200.00 and for each 5 mph add another $100.00 to the fine. I am all for it! It wont fix the problem (if there is one) over night but look at the savings over a year.

Your thoughts,

Lngvew":3dj32sx8 said:
Why not do what Jimmy Carter did back in the 70's. Slow everybody down! Look at I95, I40, I85, I77 take your pick, get out there and set your cruise control on the speed limit, 70 mph. Folks will blow you off the road, cuss you for going to slow. The average speed I would guess to be 85 mph. Back in the 70's the speed limit was 55 mph with most folks running 60. That is fast enough! How much better gas milage would your car get at 60 vs 85? How much safer and less stressful would the highways be? Give the folks 5 mph over, 6 over cost them $100.00, 10 over, $200.00 and for each 5 mph add another $100.00 to the fine. I am all for it! It wont fix the problem (if there is one) over night but look at the savings over a year.

Your thoughts,

Actually it is a very good idea and would save fuel if we backed down to 60 as you stated. I have kinda been scratchin my head on this one why the government hasn't. The only reason I can come with is we are in a lot bigger trouble than we know and we don't want to show our hand. We know nothing yet of our refineries and production in South La. Scary in my book.

If I remember correctly it was Nixon that lowered the speed limit to 55, thus the term, "Just dicken along at 55"

dun

A couple of weeks ago I heard police officer state that he has travelled the interstate (I540) between his home and Fayetteville and set his cruise on 75, 70, and 65 respectively. He said that no matter which speed he drives it takes the same amount of time to make the drive. The speed limit on the stretch that he was driving is 70.

He also stated that it would take 150 cars to pass you to slow you down by 5 minutes in reaching your destination.

I decided to employ his plan. I have 4-lane to drive 3/4 of my trip from home to the office so I set my cruise at 65 and it actually takes me about 10 minutes less to make the drive and a tank of gas lasts me an extra day. Who'd of thought it.

madbeancounter1":2h1axgys said:
A couple of weeks ago I heard police officer state that he has travelled the interstate (I540) between his home and Fayetteville and set his cruise on 75, 70, and 65 respectively. He said that no matter which speed he drives it takes the same amount of time to make the drive. The speed limit on the stretch that he was driving is 70.

He also stated that it would take 150 cars to pass you to slow you down by 5 minutes in reaching your destination.

I decided to employ his plan. I have 4-lane to drive 3/4 of my trip from home to the office so I set my cruise at 65 and it actually takes me about 10 minutes less to make the drive and a tank of gas lasts me an extra day. Who'd of thought it.

When my husband was trucking he said that to make the run from Wheeling WV to Detroit MI there was only 12 minutes difference from running 65 and 70 to the time it took when running 55 like he was supposed to. Not to mention the fuel saved and time spent on the radio asking where the bears were.
Brother in laws still drive. Owner operators. Their trucks are not turned up anymore and they don't haul heavy anymore. Just can't afford to. Not out to put on a show with the shiney black chromed up KW's anymore. Just looking for a dime at the end of the week.

Why do we need the government to tell us to slow down? You can do it right now.

After topping off last night 14 gallons at $37, I decided to drive 60 mph. I passed 6 cars and only 5 passed me. One came up behind me and stayed there for 20 miles. I drive the main state highway and a smaller main road - 45 miles. It takes me about 8 extra minutes to get to work. And, I've noticed other people are slowing down, too.

mbc - I don't see how driving slower gets you there faster. It goes against physics.

Dusty -

Sure does go against physics!

Traffic gets pretty heavy in some spots. Driving slower = not stepping on the brake as much, able to see trouble spots a little quicker and react. Don't get stuck at red lights as often, which take forever to turn, and.... Hey, I don't get mad as often at the idiot drivers that get in my way.

I was just hoping to make the trip in the same 45 minute span of time but I've actually been making it in about 35 minutes. I can't explain it.. it just is.

Well darn, I thought that was one thing Mr. Carter did right. You are correct, the goverment does not have to tell us to slow down if we all would. I have limited myself to 60 mph no matter if I am in the car or hauling cows.

The posted speed limit is 70 in WV. I have thought more than once while traveling thru that, that was WAY too past for them hillbillies to be running.

Something else that will help with the price of gas is to not let your vehicle get below half a tank. I know it sounds crazy, but it's true - check it out for yourselves. You can go farther on the top half of the tank than you can on the bottom half - hence better mileage, lower cost. I can't explain it, but it's true.

msscamp":3lzgcqql said:
Something else that will help with the price of gas is to not let your vehicle get below half a tank. I know it sounds crazy, but it's true - check it out for yourselves. You can go farther on the top half of the tank than you can on the bottom half - hence better mileage, lower cost. I can't explain it, but it's true.
What have you been smokin? :roll:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2fvd433q said:
msscamp":2fvd433q said:
What have you been smokin? :roll:

Before you condemn me try it. You will be surprised. I have gotten that reaction from everyone I have suggested this to, but the ones who have given it a shot have all had the same results as I have. The top half does go farther. I don't know why, I can't explain it, but it's the truth.

Actually the bottom half would run more miles to the gallon, but very little. The gauges as mentioned before are what is causing this. When most people top off their tank they also fill a little into the pipe leading into the tank. This combined with the gauge showing 1/2 and the tank being at 1/2 capicity are not exactly the same. Now how does the lower half get better milage?. Its due to weight. The less the vehicle weighs the better the milage. This also counts for all the extra stuff we tend to haul around. Fast starts, hard stops, engine rpm, filters, plugs, injecters, and a host of other things come into the equation as well. For the best milage maintain proper tire pressure, keep filters clean, slow down, accelerate slowly, and get rid of all the extra junk we tend to haul around.

i have a fuel monitor in my truck,(so does wife in her jeep) hers goes of full to empty faster (miles) than mine.
mpg from full to empty remains the same 1/2 full or full tank!
all gauges read differenty mpg remains the same , top side of full or bottom side of 1/2!
my old 30 model "A" will run forever on the top half!! all 9 gallons of it! but if it hits 1/4 tank you better be dadgummed close to a station to fill up!!! but the mpg remains the same

Bama":1gsrt8ca said:
and get rid of all the extra junk we tend to haul around.
But I might need that bundle of t-posts and the 4x6 is actually my parking break, that has to stay. you are telling me that those 2 tires and wheels that I took off the front of the tractor should actually be put in the shed? What if I blow a tire on one of the wagons? The old craftsman tool box that has 400 lbs of tools in it can't be taken out, what if I need the size 18 metric wrentch that is in the 2nd drawer and it is the shed instead of the bed of the truck, I have to drive back to the shed to get it? And the assortment of screwdrivers on the passenger side floofboard...one of those is the handiest starters farmall ever made!! It has to be in the truck handy at all times. OH ya and the come-along...GOT TO have it.
hehe :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bama wrote:

But I might need that bundle of t-posts and the 4x6 is actually my parking break, that has to stay. you are telling me that those 2 tires and wheels that I took off the front of the tractor should actually be put in the shed? What if I blow a tire on one of the wagons? The old craftsman tool box that has 400 lbs of tools in it can't be taken out, what if I need the size 18 metric wrentch that is in the 2nd drawer and it is the shed instead of the bed of the truck, I have to drive back to the shed to get it? And the assortment of screwdrivers on the passenger side floofboard...one of those is the handiest starters farmall ever made!! It has to be in the truck handy at all times. OH ya and the come-along...GOT TO have it.

Gee, and I was just thinking about taking my golf clubs out of the trunk of the car! (Plus that new tire for the tedder, some shotgun shells, and pair of Carhartts) Cert, I don't know whether to be jealous, 'cause you're obviously more prepared than me, or to be glad that I'll be okay leaving the wrenches in the Spouse's truck. :)

certherfbeef":rg6wpmoo said:
Bama":rg6wpmoo said:

Sounds like my kinda truck you are driving. I learned it from watching as I grew up. I get asked how I don't get stuff stole out of the back and I don't have an answer for that. It just ain't never happened. I proud to say I am carrying on a family tradition.

Wewild":27e8sw5l said:
certherfbeef":27e8sw5l said:
Bama":27e8sw5l said:

Sounds like my kinda truck you are driving. I learned it from watching as I grew up. I get asked how I don't get stuff stole out of the back and I don't have an answer for that. It just ain't never happened. I proud to say I am carrying on a family tradition.

Maybe the gun rack on the sliding window is a deterent. Or better yet...the fact that the gun rack is empty and you are no where to be seen is probab'y a better deterent yet!!!

certherfbeef":1eajtbnz said:
Maybe the gun rack on the sliding window is a deterent. Or better yet...the fact that the gun rack is empty and you are no where to be seen is probab'y a better deterent yet!!!

Very well could be. I like my scatter gun.

Latest posts