Gas powered pole saws

Help Support CattleToday:

stocky

Reaction score
Has anyone had enough experiences with any brands of gas powered pole saws to recommend one or recommend to stay away from one? I have quite a bit of trimming to do around fields and pens that range from 10-15 feet high and from small limbs up to about 8 inches thick. I was looking at an ad for a Husqvarna telescoping saw but it is $599 and that seems awfully high. I know they advertise one on the CT home page for $199, but it doesn't seem big enough for the job. They rent them for 50 dollars per day, but I will be doing a little now and then, not alot in a day or two, just when I have time. I have done alot of this in the past from the front end loader bucket of the tractor, but was looking more for something safer and easier for me to do by myself. When I get to FarmFest this weekend, I will look up the dealers to ask them their opinion, but I am always alot more trustful of other farmers/users, than I am a salesman. Thanks in advance

I have been looking at a Stihl that also has a hedge trimmer type attachment. It is around $800. I have a friend that has a Stihl and really likes it is why I was looking at that brand.

Stihl is the top of the line. I dont have the limb saw but i have had a stihl weed eater for 12 years now and it has only been in the shop 1 time for the bulb to be replaced and carb to be rebuilt due to bulb breaking and allowing trash to get in.

I'm interested in your responses as well-----------Mind if add a question--------Do they get pinched in a limb very bad? I want one, but I don't want another head ache.

Bigfoot, I have not used one yet but just like with a chainsaw if you cut the opposite side where the tension is first it should not bind as bad.

I have used the Stihl demo unit a couple times from our dealer and it is nice. Bad thing is it will wear you out using it all day which is what I do when I get it because it is so hard to get.

Had some one give me a Home Depot gift card a few years back and I bought a Ryobi pole saw, so Stihl but ok, not extendable but keeps the limbs back off of you on the tractor around field edges. Best thing about having your own is being able to do a little here and there and not wearing yourself out all at once with one. I have had to put a new carb on mine but otherwise that is it, not used a lot though.

kenny thomas":1aufbafz said:
Bigfoot, I have not used one yet but just like with a chainsaw if you cut the opposite side where the tension is first it should not bind as bad.

I can see me not being able to get in the right position though.

Bigfoot":12q283o0 said:
kenny thomas":12q283o0 said:

I can see me not being able to get in the right position though.
I am sure you are correct. I worry about standing under one as I am cutting also.

I use a Stihl with the telescoping pole.

As long as the chain is reasonably sharp, you can cut 2 inch and smaller from about any position. If you cut limbs larger than 2 inch, high and straight over head, positioning the bar on the side of the limb, you run the risk of pinching the bar.

If you can stand off to the side and keep the bar somewhat on top, you can cut limbs 6-8 inches without pinching the bar.

Sometimes, if the limbs are large and a little high, I will stand on a step ladder to help keep the bar more on top.

kenny thomas":a3ms2bjb said:

Is there another pole saw other than a stihl ???? All I run are stihls I have tried cheap brands like Ryobi pole saws when I first started and they worked ok for someone that may use it once every 5 years but Stihls out perform any other brand as well. We use them a good 10-20 hours a week.

Pinching a pole saw is just like a chainsaw you have to use common sense and pay attention to the diameter of the limb you are cutting. I tend not to cut anymore than 1/3 of the bottom portion that's under tension and then saw from the top. I have been in the tree business all my life whether logging firewood or tree removal etc If you don't buy a stihl you may as well drink that money and piss it out because if you don't have a stihl you don't have SHYT :2cents:

I have an Echo that I use. You are really limited to the size of the limbs that you can cut. I suppose you could install a longer bar and chain. I think that the one I have has a 12 inch bar.

bear":1bcc9vlk said:

As long as the chain is reasonably sharp, you can cut 2 inch and smaller from about any position. If you cut limbs larger than 2 inch, high and straight over head, positioning the bar on the side of the limb, you run the risk of pinching the bar.

If you can stand off to the side and keep the bar somewhat on top, you can cut limbs 6-8 inches without pinching the bar.

Sometimes, if the limbs are large and a little high, I will stand on a step ladder to help keep the bar more on top.

You better get off of the ladder. The limb will hit on the end and kick back and there is nothing to hold on to except thin air.

hurleyjd":2ivvszy1 said:
bear":2ivvszy1 said:

You better get off of the ladder. The limb will hit on the end and kick back and there is nothing to hold on to except thin air.

Depends on the limb. You have to know where it's going. Usually trimming for deer stands where there are other trees and strap to another tree for stability. I've never had a problem.

I have a Husqvarna but not the telescoping one. Cuts very well. Pretty much what everyone has said a little bit on the bottom then cut from top and no problem. You do have to watch for bigger limbs to swing down or drop on you. The right way is to do small chunks. Safer but time consuming. An eight hour day will show you how good of shape your shoulders are in ! Be safe.

Steve

bear":36kos8w6 said:

Same experience here. Just like any chain saw, you have to keep it sharp and chain adjusted. You can't have the chain hanging down loose on the bottom like an old Poulan. I cut overhanging limbs off about 200 yards of roadway last year from a loader bucket using a stihl pole saw attachment and it made the job a breeze, but mine sure seemed to go thru a lot more bar oil than my chainsaws do. I don't remember the model Stihl brush cutter I put the saw attachment on, but I sure wished I had taken that bicycle handle off when I put the saw attachment on--it was a pita to use from that bucket.

Bigfoot":3g2bs6pu said:
I'm interested in your responses as well-----------Mind if add a question--------Do they get pinched in a limb very bad? I want one, but I don't want another head ache.
Make a bottom cut about 1/3 of the way through then cut from the top, no bar pinching.
I have the non telescopic sthl, had it around 8 years now. NEVER stand under the limb you're cutting. If I need to cut something that won;t allow me to stand to the side I get a ride up in the tractor bucket so I'm out of the way.

I helped a neighbor do a lot of trimming. He had a Stihl. I bought one soon afterwards.

fitz

I have a couple of Stihl pole saws. And the one that has the interchangeable attachments is the way to go. I have the hedge trimmer, and it works great under the water for trimming around the pond. And for cutting limbs 2 " and smaller use the circular saw blade. I can cut more in a hour than one man can tote off in a day. And GB is right on the bar oil it uses a lot.

Latest posts